• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trekkie or Star Wars ?

What franchise was your favorite growing up? Star Trek or Star Wars

• I was a Trekkie Galactic Explorer

• I was a Jedi Knight/Sith Lord

• Didn’t like either show

Results are only viewable after voting.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just a curiosity and to gauge what percentage of members are fans of each franchise. Will be interesting to discover if Audio Lovers are more aligned with one franchise over the other. Just for fun. Let’s try to keep the conversation fun and light please.

If you had to pick just one as your Favorite over the other.

I will start it. I was a hardcore Star Trek fan. But that could be down to watching the Original Tv show first and remembering how it captured my imagination.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
If I'm not mistaken in my country Malaysia the trek original series came later, after the star wars new hope was shown so I was exposed to star wars initially but I must say the trek tv series got me hooked on space and the final frontier.

hex168

I think Original Star Trek had better stories, by far, although the bad ones were truly terrible (Spock's Brain, anyone?).

Also I prefer what they were selling:
1) https://www.salon.com/1999/06/15/brin_main/
2) The example of a post-scarcity society in Star Trek provides an end-goal for society, one that is clearly not met by calls to consume less, live with a light footprint, etc. An Amish-like lifestyle is fine as a choice but cannot work as a mandatory solution for nearly 8 billion people.

jbattman1016

Fan of both, except for the new Star Wars movies and some of the new Star Trek shows... but Rogue One and some of the shows are alright.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
all i can say (i mean quote) is

f1c3b259c63501e6a10880d99899422d.jpg

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The last 10 years or so have been much better for Star Wars IMO. They have been able to break out of the core 9 films and flesh out the universe a bit. Series like the Mandalorian are refreshing. Still Star Wars tends to cater to a younger audience. It's good vs. evil at its core and it's pretty simple. For me Star Trek is much more interesting. Sure there are episodes that are cute or just plain bad. Can you say tribble anyone? But overall the storylines are more complicated. I really think Next Generation was a pretty damn good series and had a few episodes like "The Inner Light" that just blew me away when they came out. So for today my vote goes to Star Trek, but the battle rages on. Who knows, with Disney's resources, I would not be surprised to see something really epic happen in the Star Wars universe.

RHO

Major Contributor
Where's the "both" option in your poll?

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Where's the "both" option in your poll?
I considered a Both option. But in the end I realized that 90% would pick that option and we would learn nothing from the poll. So I am asking you to make a best choice of the two. What one did you like the best if you had to choose only one.

RHO

Major Contributor
I considered a Both option. But in the end I realized that 90% would pick that option and we would learn nothing from the poll. So I am asking you to make a best choice of the two. What one did you like the best if you had to choose only one.
Both. :p
I have sentimental reasons for choosing either.
I like much of the newest Star Wars stuff on Disney+. I do not dislike the latest movies nearly as much as some. I'm not as big a fan of the original trilogy as some true hardcore SW fans.
I like TNG quite a lot. I like the ST movies very much. I haven't seen any of the most recent series, but I have seen the movies.
I don't take my movie franchises as serious as some true fans I guess. Makes me enjoy them more, going by what I sometimes read online.
So both franchises have a lot to offer for me and both have sentimental reasons to top my "favorite SF franchise" list. And certainly not everything is content related when it comes to that in my case.

AlexanderM

I like both, but lean towards Star Wars, I saw the original 12 times in theatres when it came out. It's sifi verses fantasy.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Battlestar Galactica!

But seriously, IMHO ...

The Star Trek concept provides a much better foundation to explore human nature combined with genuine entertainment. It really is quite amazing the breadth of topics the franchise has covered. So I give trek the nod.

The Star Wars concept is a retelling of a classic tale with space wizards. Its a bit more escapist than self reflecting and more fantasy that sci-fi. I like it for the story and the world building.

Both franchises have been diminished by their recent productions. I think Trek has suffered more than Star Wars, which is saying something. But the question was phrased as "growing up" so I'm not taking recent shows into consideration.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When it first aired, I was too young to understand the original Star Trek, but I was at the perfect age to be blown away by the first Star Wars movie. But as with the music of Pink Floyd, I OD'd on Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 back in the days of laserdisc, and have no SW or ST-related merchandise today. Original Trek might be run to revisit, and it's possible that there are episodes that I've never seen. I haven't seen one or two SW sequels, nor the spinoffs but dunno that I care.

Top Bottom