• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trekkie or Star Wars ?

What franchise was your favorite growing up? Star Trek or Star Wars

• I was a Trekkie Galactic Explorer

• I was a Jedi Knight/Sith Lord

• Didn’t like either show

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
TNG all the way!

CFA00E9F-EC66-4860-92C5-E2F8B2E65637.jpeg

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
data has an inferiority complex =)
Amazing. The guy is at Comic convention and doesn’t want to answer questions about Data. This NOT Daniel day Lewis btw. I’m changing vote to Star Wars. :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to say. I first watched Star Trek TOS when I was about five, early 1970s. So have an attachment there. I have no doubt that the messages and characters in the show had some lasting effect on my fragile child mind, especially Kirk, although Scotty was always my favourite character as when he was given charge of the ship it was straight on to firing phasers and photon torpedoes, no poncing about

And a couple of the films ('Wrath of Khan' and 'The Voyage Home') are as good as the best of the original episodes.

TNG and the other older spin-offs I am not much for. In my opinion TNG and 'Voyager' only have a handful of good episodes each. I've not seen the more recent spin-offs like 'Picard.' So I can't be a real Trek fan I suppose.

'Star Wars' I queued around the block for hours to get in to see, didn't disappoint, I queued around the block a couple of weeks later to see it again.

Han Solo was my favourite character because early on he blows away that alien in cold blood Psychologist would have a field day with that, but I've met a fair few people who say the same. Of course they went back and changed it...

You identified with Luke but you respected Han.

And 'Empire' was also a classic, taking the story in a slightly darker, more desperate direction seemed just right.

But then 'Return' seemed more of a kiddies film by comparison, I think they'd already lost the qualities that made it great by that film, and they've not got them back since. Although I do find Episodes 2 and 3 to be watchable. The less said about 'The Force Awakens' the better and I've got 'Last Jedi' here on Bluray, still in the packaging after how many years? So I can't be a real Star Wars fan I suppose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I considered a Both option. But in the end I realized that 90% would pick that option and we would learn nothing from the poll. So I am asking you to make a best choice of the two. What one did you like the best if you had to choose only one.
A 2FCI protocol. Two option forced choice. And we were all doing it blind until people started posting pictures. :)

For those who say we had three choices I will quote Rush in their song Free Will:
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a fan of both especially the original versions. I was young when Star Trek TOS was on, and already a reader of sci-fi books. It too captured my imagination, and was the first serious attempt at sci-fi. I lamented at the time Lost in Space was a hit show and Star Trek wasn't. Yes there had previously been movies of scifi, but most had a heavy goofiness quotient one way or another. Two exceptions would be another two of my favorites from my childhood. The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery.

Star Wars was important because it was the first scifi movie that was a blockbuster record breaking success. It also had much more believable special effects. There had been 2001:A space Odyssey, but it wasn't the money maker Star Wars was. After Star Wars people were willing to spend big money on scifi to the point it almost is overload now with scifi and fantasy dominating movies and most movies aren't very good. After Star Wars it wasn't long until we had Alien.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
For some reason old re-runs of the original Star Trek took my fancy. Star Wars is more swashbuckling pantomime, so less interesting.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Star wars when I was younger, Star Trek as I got older.
Currently both are a bit hit and miss. Dare I say marvel has taken the mantle as pioneering something new/different?
By the way, are there new star wars movies in the pipeline?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Star wars when I was younger, Star Trek as I got older.
Currently both are a bit hit and miss. Dare I say marvel has taken the mantle as pioneering something new/different?
By the way, are there new star wars movies in the pipeline?
You can count on Disney to have a new Star Wars movie just before Christmas of every year until they stop making money. The Rise of Skywalker is next one up.

Correction Disney has announced an every other year release schedule.

I'm hoping they will do one where the reigning Sith lord is an Ewok.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a curiosity and to gauge what percentage of members are fans of each franchise. Will be interesting to discover if Audio Lovers are more aligned with one franchise over the other. Just for fun. Let’s try to keep the conversation fun and light please.

If you had to pick just one as your Favorite over the other.

I will start it. I was a hardcore Star Trek fan. But that could be down to watching the Original Tv show first and remembering how it captured my imagination.
You are 5 days to late, May the 4th would have been perfect :cool:.

I read a lot of SciFi in my youth, saw the first round of Star Trek in b&w TV, was very impressed by 2001: A Space Odissey on the big screen and then totally blown away by the entrance scene of Star Wars (now Episode 4). I think the whole public sat there with jaws wide open and wondered when the big destroyer would end its appearance on screen - it just got bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger ...

The reason I prefer Star Wars (the first trilogy) over Star Trek is the "used" look of many space ships or other means of travel. It creates the impression to watch something real.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both. :p
I have sentimental reasons for choosing either.
I like much of the newest Star Wars stuff on Disney+. I do not dislike the latest movies nearly as much as some. I'm not as big a fan of the original trilogy as some true hardcore SW fans.
I like TNG quite a lot. I like the ST movies very much. I haven't seen any of the most recent series, but I have seen the movies.
I don't take my movie franchises as serious as some true fans I guess. Makes me enjoy them more, going by what I sometimes read online.
So both franchises have a lot to offer for me and both have sentimental reasons to top my "favorite SF franchise" list. And certainly not everything is content related when it comes to that in my case.
Similar

I loved Star Treck as a kid, and I've loved all sorts of spinoffs since. But Star Wars came along when I was about 14, and not only moved the goalposts, but chucked the entire football pitch straight into the abyss of a black hole. This was partly because the previous "SF" film I'd watched was Flash Gordon - which despite the epic music from Queen had rocket engines with smoke that went up, and sparks that went down. Star Wars presented me with the first ever gravity-less exposion I'd seen.... and it was amazing. Oh, and lightsabers. How I wanted one of those.

And then when I watched "Revenge of the Sith", with my adult kids as an already middle aged man, it was like watching my personal childhood history being explained. I don't care what people say about the prequel trilogy, that one gave me chills.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Doctor Who and Lost in Space for me.

Star Trek seemed so cheap- I remember the "Horta" being some dude rolling around on the floor in a dirty old blanket pretending to be an alien. :facepalm:

horta.jpg

horta gif.gif

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wars is better as a kid, Trek (across all series combined) has more to offer adults.

Top Bottom