• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trekkie or Star Wars ?

What franchise was your favorite growing up? Star Trek or Star Wars

• I was a Trekkie Galactic Explorer

• I was a Jedi Knight/Sith Lord

• Didn’t like either show

Results are only viewable after voting.

JSmith

Master Contributor
@AdamG247 I'm finding it hard to answer the poll, as I really loved both but in different ways. ST I watched weekly on TV, whereas SW was a series of movies. I suppose SW had a greater effect culturally, but that could have come down to marketing and merchandise... ST wasn't marketed like that at the time. Going to see SW's movies at the theatre was certainly an event. :)

JSmith

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Old Star Wars was more fun but was always too obviously about merchandising, to the point Mel Brooks struggled to parody it.

OG Star Trek was really great, mainly in watching how much fun the cast was obviously having. There's a reason Shatner remains beloved even after T.J. Hooker, and why even smaller characters like Scotty and Chekov were enduringly popular. You'd see that every now and then with TNG and the spinoffs but not as often.

New Star Wars stuff is boring but new Trek is unwatchable dreck.

Attachments

• 00b32831253311b3a317cf294b727d89.jpg
    00b32831253311b3a317cf294b727d89.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 52

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Star Trek.
I always like the ships and I had the trading cards. I remember at the time the little plastic pouches degrading and going oily on the inside.
s-l1600.jpg

I even had this, but gave it away after I realized just how long it was taking to paint the darn thing.
s-l1600.jpg

So, the paints cost me more then the kit itself. Then the Extreme amount of time to paint it in the correct colors of that funky blue and grey without making a mistake took more time then I had to give to it. And my kit did not come with lights. So when they had one that did? I told myself I would get that kit someday.

The book that I read from it that still sticks like I was watching the movie was this one:
217890._UY475_SS475_.jpg
I really liked the cover as it had this 3d effect.
This book is still stuck in my head today. This may have been one of the best Novels I have read were it did this really weird trick that it did not read like a book but like it played back in your mind like a real story you were apart off.
I never really got why people read novels and non fiction till I read this book.
Crazy how a story sticks with you. Kind of like VR but with your own imagination. But I could swear, it was like I was watching a movie.

What really got me into it was all the Technical stuff. From ships drawings, how LCARS worked etc.
And Memory Alpha WAS a joy to be at to look up stuff.

It just had this really cool feel to it all. You could also look up side info on things and Easter eggs etc.

Star wars never really was a thing for me.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't exactly get to watch Star Trek when it came out, mom didn't care for it. When I did get a chance I did like it quite a bit, i.e the original show....the later iterations meh for the most part, altho the last few movies and maybe a future one with Tarantino's help might be interesting, but all the branched off tv shows never got me past a few episodes.

I got to see the release of Star Wars before the general public, and while I loved it in many ways, it lacks so much in many others. It's more fun and goofy than good scifi.

Both important parts on better scifi getting to the screen. I grew up on mostly 50s and 60s sci fi movies, which generally were pretty bad.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Doctor Who and Lost in Space for me.

Star Trek seemed so cheap- I remember the "Horta" being some dude rolling around on the floor in a dirty old blanket pretending to be an alien. :facepalm:

Unlike the real aliens they used in Dr Who…

1652145976299.gif

Top Bottom