• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 46.4%

• Total voters

abc1234

Do you mind checking what's the voltage of your power supply (is it 52V as well ?)
I get slightly higher temp from PA7plus, same room temp (25°C) and several hours of listening, low to moderate volume. See top and bottom case temp in the attached pics below (amp sitting on a custom build pair of NC250MP monos)

View attachment 292416View attachment 292417
Thank you for measurement. Does it work well in bypass mode?
I'm really curious because I'll be using the pa7 in an E70 + L70 combination.

Last edited:

Ykar

Thank you for measurement. Does it work well in bypass mode?
I'm really curious because I'll be using the pa7 in an E70 + L70 combination.
Flawlessly so far, but it that has been only a few days since arrival, so time will tell. I use it only in bypass mode, dual trigger in, and switching to either RCA (Marantz pre-out for HomeTheater) or XLR (E70v).

DearSX

Got mine yesterday, in bypass mode connect to A70 Pro. Sounds pretty good, very clear and great with some heavy metal songs. Not sure I prefer it over my A21 yet, as that seem to sound more musical, but this one seems like it resolves sounds faster almost. Will keep trying it out :) Very clean sounding amp!

Ykar

Can you please confirm if PA7 has same power supply brick than PA7 Plus, 52V as well ? thanks

DearSX

My PA7 Plus came with 52V 6.5A
AJFCJaXrN8-DdL5JUCunxgE4wfi6mNvR7JVyppkgZ6-vJbsYZTiQfnTPFLGVT83w4YLklFXwU90p4OfrvgX4ovpov2g3Ui7ou1GJ1HEQ-70Q4pZSZbYCuvXJXfb3PHlPjhC2zpBQGq6ALNvbsqmV-N6BNO6N-wz5ft6l69CSIif7EtR-G-tfgehmdcVn8id0L5rjwoRGZAInOXRB7EhsFrrFrgnwJWeCVFp62Ev_RSRXm2MJ0exkLP0285q984BfKNv2NhPIkl0JBBCv4U8FqqmeHAY7e8FpNX96wjiUpEiEhkvCDhdFPdtqfKKQpsWGdeXWfc_K6ADRmZ9FX81ZJieBiXahMQJ9k2qOxsyDYon4emuZ_4B0eRgSYWmkQi0oLoV0NeW3rzL8arcESC72xB54G121_ydUs892MMfc_Q0i1hAC-h8aNwMlkjrsKc_nV2bOITEdgY8EQj8D3FrY1-M4gPF8gTIT7qRf50wpo54ExyEj3wJnorHPTICEr4VElkqx9ngBrV-eWtam6M6oGJyNmG8CIbeQdg0t6h13bnykDw-n_Td13RIwrzuFtiT8REcMNx2yrk5BY7pVp9-Z7ltpBbwKhENl8uDQAhVbZ63xkelNgDDEoIU_MtfiIExP2cafJO353JCoKJxRes3GuvliqHaFDLKWJygJ0ltR0v-kNZltxY3HU61ZYsMp6i-nevYk8snkBRpSX_XQt0i78wTD3OrlhzZ8FCVq0w_e7IplvA1GPMWZNyC65g0M_6yNE4po_yhgGaS-FyIbahzXu6XieT9KggjLSCmOhVgVWisgO5q1bUC1Y0oI8I5qcGbS49dvBAGV_ELVCKbRnNwtTXfa7kYUDSUq64Av5C0hFTSyS-7rO8TolWHlOXTY68xI_40bdjslYnYOiXorKJoma1Fvz5k=w783-h1043-s-no

Ykar

Thanks, so 48V 5A for PA7 and 52V 6.5A for the Plus version. I'm asking because I'm wondering if power supply could be the only difference between both "versions"...

DearSX

Thanks, so 48V 5A for PA7 and 52V 6.5A for the Plus version. I'm asking because I'm wondering if power supply could be the only difference between both "versions"...
Yeah I figured that's why you asked, I wonder. Would be very interesting if it was, but because of reliability issues with past Topping amps, I'd be concerned about trying it.

That being said, I like my amp. My system sounds cleaner with this amp, maybe seems a little flatter with some speakers, but I think I'm gonna keep it.

With the D70 Pro and Linton speakers it sounds very clean, pretty good, but not as "musical" with the music I listen to I think. Great with some rock songs like Creep. I switched to my DIY Satori speakers and they sound very good. Its like the amp told the speakers "just act normal", not bright, not boring, not flashy, not super detailed, just sort of normal or neutral. I'm going to explore this combo more, as well as with the A21 amp.

Namesbuck

Yeah I figured that's why you asked, I wonder. Would be very interesting if it was, but because of reliability issues with past Topping amps, I'd be concerned about trying it.

That being said, I like my amp. My system sounds cleaner with this amp, maybe seems a little flatter with some speakers, but I think I'm gonna keep it.

With the D70 Pro and Linton speakers it sounds very clean, pretty good, but not as "musical" with the music I listen to I think. Great with some rock songs like Creep. I switched to my DIY Satori speakers and they sound very good. Its like the amp told the speakers "just act normal", not bright, not boring, not flashy, not super detailed, just sort of normal or neutral. I'm going to explore this combo more, as well as with the A21 amp.
This has been my experience as well moving from class A/B Emotiva basX A-100 to the PA7 non-plus version. The PA7 is much cleaner and has more power through my W12.1 speakers. For vinyl, I have my phono pre gain at the lowest gain setting and the PA7 still gets it nice and loud. Lowering the phono gain to about 35db has removed all the hiss out of playing vinyl.

My initial thoughts were similar that it sounded flatter and bass had less impact with the PA7 but I think the Emotiva just boosted the lows to begin with. It's called BasX because it boosts bass? Anyway, as mentioned previously that can be solved by turning up the volume on the sub if desired. A high level connection is required as there is no sub-out on the PA7 or the Emo for that matter.

DearSX

This has been my experience as well moving from class A/B Emotiva basX A-100 to the PA7 non-plus version. The PA7 is much cleaner and has more power through my W12.1 speakers. For vinyl, I have my phono pre gain at the lowest gain setting and the PA7 still gets it nice and loud. Lowering the phono gain to about 35db has removed all the hiss out of playing vinyl.

My initial thoughts were similar that it sounded flatter and bass had less impact with the PA7 but I think the Emotiva just boosted the lows to begin with. It's called BasX because it boosts bass? Anyway, as mentioned previously that can be solved by turning up the volume on the sub if desired. A high level connection is required as there is no sub-out on the PA7 or the Emo for that matter.

Thanks for sharing. I am loving having access to the testing Amirm and others are doing to verify equipment is good. Also loving having access to cleaner amps, DACs and pre-amps at lower prices. Haven't been this enthusiastic about audio in a couple of years.

I'm going to connect up my SVS sub soon. My 3-way 10" woofers DIY speakers actually have extra bass by design (and for my room I think). Too much bass right now even with the PA7, but I can turn it into a 2-way to lower that and then use the SVS down low with its EQ.

I'm hoping to get to a Goldilocks "just right" sound for most daily listening. Not too lush, not too "musical" or analytical, just kind of natural or normal. I can get other speakers like the Linton for warmth or Focal for "sparkle" etc. or I will EQ those too and move them around to experiment.

Last edited:

Hydraglow

Just got my PA7 and E70 last week, coming from a DX3 Pro+ and PA3s.

I'm a bit confused about something and perhaps someone can help me understand. I'm taking measurements with the UMIK-1 and REW using my Lintons and I noticed both stacks require the DACs to be at -24db to hit a 75db test tone. Considering the PA3s is 37W x 2 @ 8ohm and the PA7 is 125W x 2 @ 8ohm, I'm not sure how this is possible. I'm using balanced connections and have also tried unbalanced with the same result. Shouldn't the the PA7 have at least 6db of extra volume (for having 3x the power)?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got my PA7 and E70 last week, coming from a DX3 Pro+ and PA3s.

I'm a bit confused about something and perhaps someone can help me understand. I'm taking measurements with the UMIK-1 and REW using my Lintons and I noticed both stacks require the DACs to be at -24db to hit a 75db test tone. Considering the PA3s is 37W x 2 @ 8ohm and the PA7 is 125W x 2 @ 8ohm, I'm not sure how this is possible. I'm using balanced connections and have also tried unbalanced with the same result. Shouldn't the the PA7 have at least 6db of extra volume (for having 3x the power)?
No. The PA7 and PA3s essentially have the same gain (25.7 and 25.2 dB). So they are as loud with the same input.

Hydraglow

No. The PA7 and PA3s essentially have the same gain (25.7 and 25.2 dB). So they are as loud with the same input.
Thanks for the response! I've always been under the impression more watts = more volume. In this case, where does the extra power in the PA7 go if not into volume? Very much trying to understand this type of stuff as much as possible.

I see many comments across the web mentioning "Make sure X speaker has X amount of power to sound it's best". I guess I'm confused as to where gain, volume, and watts all correlate, and where/why they differ. If the PA7/PA3s have same volume, is the only advantage of the PA7 better SINAD? Thanks in advance for my ignorance!

Vladetz

Thanks for the response! I've always been under the impression more watts = more volume. In this case, where does the extra power in the PA7 go if not into volume? Very much trying to understand this type of stuff as much as possible.

I see many comments across the web mentioning "Make sure X speaker has X amount of power to sound it's best". I guess I'm confused as to where gain, volume, and watts all correlate, and where/why they differ. If the PA7/PA3s have same volume, is the only advantage of the PA7 better SINAD? Thanks in advance for my ignorance!
PA7 can play with less distortion in higher volume levels. It has more headroom

Top Bottom