• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
When you say it's not ideal do you mean the cumbersome nature of it or not good for a long term solution? Thanks
Neither of those - it's just more likely to suffer from ground-related noise issues that way like a single ended input would. One of the quasi-balanced RCA to TRS cable arrangements would reduce this. If you don't suffer from ground-related noise issues (ground loop, computer noises from leakage currents etc.) then don't worry. If you need to buy cables anyway then you may as well get the better cables for the job as the price difference should be small.

VeerK

Been out of the loop, has there been any news or rumors about another amp in the D/A/P/90 series chassis? A PA9 I guess?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Been out of the loop, has there been any news or rumors about another amp in the D/A/P/90 series chassis? A PA9 I guess?
Not so far. There was a flurry of excitement here, but it looks like that is going to be a Soncoz product:

VeerK

Not so far. There was a flurry of excitement here, but it looks like that is going to be a Soncoz product:

Hot damn, can’t believe I missed that. Thank you, I remember Soncoz making DACs a while back, glad to see them tackling amps

0bs3rv3r

Neither of those - it's just more likely to suffer from ground-related noise issues that way like a single ended input would. One of the quasi-balanced RCA to TRS cable arrangements would reduce this. If you don't suffer from ground-related noise issues (ground loop, computer noises from leakage currents etc.) then don't worry. If you need to buy cables anyway then you may as well get the better cables for the job as the price difference should be small.

There's also that, if you put it in the same case as the low level circuitry, then you need lots more shielding between it and the circuitry, because EM noise strength varies with the square of distance from the generator, and you have just put that generator (a switching power supply is electrically noisy) right up against the sensitive bits.

MDrav

I am considering this amp for a desk use. I started with a budget system which has served me well for the last 2 yrs. I think its time to upgrade. I am using topping d50s + SML sa98e with RBs42. I am planing on keeping the RB42s and upgrading the amp. Would this amp be a great upgrade in quality/power? or should I seek somewhere else? My ultimate goal is to buy Buchardts s400s, but I won't be able to for maybe 1-2yrs more. Currently using A30pro/D30pro, Argons Mkiii and HD58xx as my headphone desk system. Thanks...

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What bass? :)) It is transparent mostly where should not be :D
You do know that it measures flat across the FR, right? If you are going to claim it is weak all other things kept exactly equal, you should really provide some data. It’s an easy enough thing to measure as a voltage change in the audible spectrum would confirm it. A $30 multimeter should be able to do it. Otherwise, your comment is as valid as me saying the PA5 provokes a citrusy smell in the female voices (makes as much sense as darker bass).

asoka

Yes it was a joke but a joke with ground in what a user expect when listening.
We need to clarify what this fr linearity it is. Maybe the readers expect that a flat FR will give them an excellent sound with sufficient bass and nice highs and clear full body mids...but this is not the case. Because the second component in their system are the speakers. A flat response curve in an amp will give default an ugly sound...with depleted bass and to much energy in highs and thinned mids. Why? Because all bass drivers are less efficient and will need always more energy to move that mass of air, and the highs will require much less energy. Also the FR graph need to be done under load scenarios...volts and amperes. The crossovers in speakers will always attenuate the mids and highs and will shape a little the bass.
No 2 speakers will be the same because different crossovers and different efficiency drivers. All low cost and medium cost speakers maybe until 5000$ approx mark will lack in bass...sometimes in mids and other times with cheesy highs. Coupled with this type of this class d amp always will sound harsh shooting and devoid of low frequencies...without an dsp in the chain to favor low freq and equalize the sound. pa5 compared to da9 sounded more thin because some low mids lacking energy in favor of higher mids and higs.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it was a joke but a joke with ground in what a user expect when listening.
We need to clarify what this fr linearity it is. Maybe the readers expect that a flat FR will give them an excellent sound with sufficient bass and nice highs and clear full body mids...but this is not the case. Because the second component in their system are the speakers. A flat response curve in an amp will give default an ugly sound...with depleted bass and to much energy in highs and thinned mids. Why? Because all bass drivers are less efficient and will need always more energy to move that mass of air, and the highs will require much less energy. Also the FR graph need to be done under load scenarios...volts and amperes. The crossovers in speakers will always attenuate the mids and highs and will shape a little the bass.
No 2 speakers will be the same because different crossovers and different efficiency drivers. All low cost and medium cost speakers maybe until 5000$ approx mark will lack in bass...sometimes in mids and other times with cheesy highs. Coupled with this type of this class d amp always will sound harsh shooting and devoid of low frequencies...without an dsp in the chain to favor low freq and equalize the sound. pa5 compared to da9 sounded more thin because some low mids lacking energy in favor of higher mids and higs.
I think you are confusing operations. The amplifier is amplifying a sine wave agnostically in terms of FR and without distortion. That’s it. It isn’t a music production device. A good speaker design will take that signal and produce a flat FR from 20HZ to 20kHZ with minimal distortion. You can then treat your listening space and use EQ to create the FR you personally enjoy. To ask the amp or the speakers to do it is essentially building fixed filters into your audio reproduction chain. Which is an inefficient way to make equipment and one reason for unnecessarily high costs.

Everything you are claiming (without evidence) are the flaws with reproduction systems. You don't need to know load to know how an amplifier will perform. Voltage by frequency tells you that. Load is speaker dependent, but the designer should take driver load into consideration. If the crossover in your speakers is poorly designed so you get too much bass or too little mids
or whatever, then that is an issue with the speaker, not the amp.

Transparent DAC. Transparent AMP. Transparent speakers. Transparent room. That is how you reproduce the recording. We are not making music with our stereos. We are listening to it. If you don’t like the recording because it is too bright, too dark, too clinical, just Eq to taste and/or drop an Audio Unit to season it to taste.

By the way my $300 for the pair speakers produce excellent bright base, with mids that are luxurious and salty, and peaks that massage my brain. Excellence and cost are only loosely related, especially in a data free context.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think you are confusing operations. The amplifier is amplifying a sine wave agnostically in terms of FR and without distortion. That’s it. It isn’t a music production device. A good speaker design will take that signal and produce a flat FR from 20HZ to 20kHZ with minimal distortion. You can then treat your listening space and use EQ to create the FR you personally enjoy. To ask the amp or the speakers to do it is essentially building fixed filters into your audio reproduction chain. Which is an inefficient way to make equipment and one reason for unnecessarily high costs.

Everything you are claiming (without evidence) are the flaws with reproduction systems. You don't need to know load to know how an amplifier will perform. Voltage by frequency tells you that. Load is speaker dependent, but the designer should take driver load into consideration. If the crossover in your speakers is poorly designed so you get too much bass or too little mids
or whatever, then that is an issue with the speaker, not the amp.

Transparent DAC. Transparent AMP. Transparent speakers. Transparent room. That is how you reproduce the recording. We are not making music with our stereos. We are listening to it. If you don’t like the recording because it is too bright, too dark, too clinical, just Eq to taste and/or drop an Audio Unit to season it to taste.

By the way my $300 for the pair speakers produce excellent bright base, with mids that are luxurious and salty, and peaks that massage my brain. Excellence and cost are only loosely related, especially in a data free context.
Please show me a speaker that would do 90db at 1meter with flat 20hz to 20khz with low distortion.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What speakers are those?

asoka

I am not an expert, just trying to solve and be more clear in my mind about all this audio magic and mysteries :)
Maybe in this level of class d amps the instant current delivery and the amperage it is not so great...because that they are mostly praised for their clear and clinical sound...the sound had resolution but had no or little bass. Class d design because their compactness and digital domain surpass majority of interference problems getting great snr and better control of distortion. But the big bulky mostly class ab amps will have the necesar instantaneous power to drive more luscious bass and lower mids. The current day entry level d class amps advanced a lot and surpassed mid tier ab analog amps of yesterday ...in clarity and snr and very close to same bass delivery of a lesser older ab amp. But don't expect to use them as direct path...dac/amp/speakers without an dsp eq to give them more body...if you don't have a very good speaker. Do not forget that in speakers crossovers the bass drivers is always undamped but mids and highs are always heavily damped by resistors and the rest...in the market under 5000$ with very poor electronics that will degrade the sound and will induce also oscillations etc...the current will be transformed in heat. As an example a good resistor cost even 20$ an capacitor 50$ an coil even more...medium prices. Then just a good crossover will cost over 200$ in parts without labor and profit...that is the reason that will not find them in under 5000$ speakers.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please show me a speaker that would do 90db at 1meter with flat 20hz to 20khz with low distortion.
Do you see that tab up there, a little to the left? It says review index? There are a few there. By some definitions of flat. My personal threshold is +- 5db With actual music, in my room, I can't really tell until it hits that level

Edit to add by speaker I mean a box with multiple drivers. easy enough to do if you include a sub, in the same box or separate.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom