• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 302 75.7%

• Total voters

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Am I correct that the review compares the power measurements of LA90D in bridged mode vs the Benchmark in stereo (which specs at 480W at 6ohm)?
Well, I think the point of this comparison (green vs blow) was more about distortion levels than output power:

index.php

Keep in mind that the retail cost of a pair of Topping LA90D amps is less than half of what you'd pay for a single Benchmark AHB2. So, the comparison is not out of bounds.

Mihalis

Forum Donor
Well, I think the point of this comparison (green vs blow) was more about distortion levels than output power:

index.php

Keep in mind that the retail cost of a pair of Topping LA90D amps is less than half of what you'd pay for a single Benchmark AHB2. So, the comparison is not out of

Mihalis

Forum Donor
These amps are definitely competing amps for people who can afford either, focus on measurements and who plan to bridge them. This comparison is misleading.

dsnyder0cnn

This comparison is misleading.
I don't agree with that, but the title for the plot is incorrect. Should be something like, "Power vs Distortion @ 4 Ohms Stereo (both channels driven) vs LA90D Bridged"

Edit: I would add that a pair of Benchmark ABH2's retail for about $7k compared to $1.6k for a pair of LA90D's. Folks shopping these two products against each other are far more likely to be comparing a pair of LA90D's to a single AHB2. At this level of transparency, most folks won't be willing to pay an extra $5,400 for only 2.53 dB of additional headroom. Other factors may come into play (brand, exclusivity, prestige, long-term reliability).

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
This is not a specific comparison.
Amir has a steady device (the same) in lots of measurements,it only happens that ABH2 is here.

Doesn't mean is the best device ,look at DACs for example,one of the charts (IMD vs Level) has Khadas tone1 for reference,far from top.
Same with a bad device,not the worst though.

Mihalis

Forum Donor
We are so fast at attacking everyone else that even blinks the wrong way on other sites that we should keep ourselves to a higher standard. I am not in anyway suggesting there is intention. Just that this is absolutely read as a comparison by reasonable non expert non regular readers, especially since earlier there is a comparison of all amps measured on the one single SINAD measurement (whatever that is worth on its own.) Plus these two amps are regularly compared on other sites and this presentation doesn’t show what the benchmark is so strong about.

dsnyder0cnn

We are so fast at attacking everyone else that even blinks the wrong way on other sites that we should keep ourselves to a higher standard. I am not in anyway suggesting there is intention. Just that this is absolutely read as a comparison by reasonable non expert non regular readers, especially since earlier there is a comparison of all amps measured on the one single SINAD measurement (whatever that is worth on its own.) Plus these two amps are regularly compared on other sites and this presentation doesn’t show what the benchmark is so strong about.
This subtopic is too long, so I've lost track of your objection. Is it just that the chart seems to compare bridged output of the LA90D to stereo output of the AHB2, and you're concerned that people reading ASR are not be smart enough to figure that out?

If that's all it is, you should give ASR readers more credit. :)

In 37 pages, you're the first person (I've noticed) to call this out. If it still bothers you, perhaps reach out to Amir privately to see if he will go back and address the issue to your satisfaction.

geekosa

After 6 months I suddenly have some random "ksss" "pop" coming from the LA90D, every minute or so, whatever the source is.
If I unplug the LA90D from the power and plug it after few minutes I can get rid of the issue for an hour or two but the issue comes back after.

Is someone having the same trouble ?

Last edited:

sarieri

Forum Donor
After 6 months I suddenly have some random "ksss" "pop" coming from the LA90D, every minute or so, whatever the source is.
If I unplug the LA90D from the power and plug it after few minutes I can get rid of the issue for an hour or two but the issue comes back after.

Is someone having the same trouble ?
When did you buy your LA90D. I had the same issue and after ship them back and have them fixed, I did not have the problem any more. I believe Topping sorted some new parts around August this year and all LA90D produced after that should be free of this problem IN THEORY.

geekosa

When did you buy your LA90D. I had the same issue and after ship them back and have them fixed, I did not have the problem any more. I believe Topping sorted some new parts around August this year and all LA90D produced after that should be free of this problem IN THEORY.
I bought it during spring on audiophonics shortly after its release.

Is this a common problem on first batches of LA90D produced ?

Akary

I have never seen what kind of connections are those for the signal input

sarieri

Forum Donor
I bought it during spring on audiophonics shortly after its release.

Is this a common problem on first batches of LA90D produced ?
It’s very common. It’s rather rare that yours holds up this long.

dsnyder0cnn

I am hesitating since months. I am not sure new batches are ok now. Did @JohnYang1997 explained new batches are ok? Is it true? How can we be sure a sample is from a new ok batch?
My LA90D arrived on December 7th, 2023, so I've had it only three weeks. I'm confident that it was from the latest batch (after the Apos sales freeze in July). No issues so far, obviously. None expected either.

At the risk of pages of ridicule about the cable lifts (a Christmas gift from my lovely wife who prefers the look to cables draped on the floor) and my otherwise general lack of cable hygiene, here's a photo of my deployment LA90D deployment. I went with the optional (and somewhat overpriced) large Topping display base.

2023_Loft_Side.jpg

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I’m pretty sure you can’t source a old batch la90d anymore.
Thanks. Form Taobao the unit is around 550€ with one year warranty from'the sellers. I live in China, I can send it back in case of problem, but I want to avoid difficulties.

It's so stupid all this story of reliability because the choice to encapsulate some components, especially when people reverse engineering it and publish the results to be able to fix by yourself the faulty unit.

Don't sure the speakers I've built deserve it but pretty sure I do :p.

uwotm8

My LA90D arrived on December 7th, 2023, so I've had it only three weeks. I'm confident that it was from the latest batch (after the Apos sales freeze in July). No issues so far, obviously. None expected either.

At the risk of pages of ridicule about the cable lifts (a Christmas gift from my lovely wife who prefers the look to cables draped on the floor) and my otherwise general lack of cable hygiene, here's a photo of my deployment LA90D deployment. I went with the optional (and somewhat overpriced) large Topping display base.

2023_Loft_Side.jpg
Wow, first time I see a proper setup here - thicc cables on a solid cable stands.
Just by the look you can say it sounds amazing!

Masher

2023_Loft_Side.jpg
Look great!

Top Bottom