• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.6%

• Total voters

Mezo

Sooooo...you have two of these cables plugged into what and then plug your headphones into what? It looks like a balanced cable...split into two sets of banana plugs...which means you aren't getting stereo...and you would be getting the distortion correction which would be noise as there is no return distortion to cancel it...and you would lose about 6db of amplification. I'm looking at your equipment list and think you must know what you are doing or you are trolling me :) All good and thanks for the photo and sorry to everyone else as this is pretty far off of the intent of this thread.

VQR

Sooooo...you have two of these cables plugged into what and then plug your headphones into what? It looks like a balanced cable...split into two sets of banana plugs...which means you aren't getting stereo...and you would be getting the distortion correction which would be noise as there is no return distortion to cancel it...and you would lose about 6db of amplification. I'm looking at your equipment list and think you must know what you are doing or you are trolling me :) All good and thanks for the photo and sorry to everyone else as this is pretty far off of the intent of this thread.
The XLR looks to be the 4 pin variant for stereo.

Kuromi

There’s absolutely no noise floor if that’s what you mean, it’s dead silent. Also only using one of these cables.

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpeg
    IMG_4790.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 196

nawfal07

Update:

BrightAudio is providing a full refund and Topping hasn't figured out the problem yet.

"This situation has been taken seriously by us, and we have collected several machines with similar problems for research, but there are no definite results yet.
However, don't worry, as a serious and responsible manufacturer, we will continue to do more tests and analysis until we find the root cause of the problem and solve it...
you don't have to send back the LA90D
."

until we find the root cause of the problem and solve it...
."

What does that really mean? They issue a refund but you get to keep the dead LA90D?

Or they want you to wait for them to find a solution and fix your LA90D via a firmware update?

Did you smell anything burning from the LA90D when the problem happened?

Sorry if these are silly questions, it’s a wishful thinking that this is software issue although it is very highly unlikely.

I was just about to place the order of the LA90D from a local retailer that have it in stock, as usual I came here to read the comments first and sure enough my plan is now stalled.

tmitchmd

until we find the root cause of the problem and solve it...
."

What does that really mean? They issue a refund but you get to keep the dead LA90D?

Yes. Two dead amps.
Or they want you to wait for them to find a solution and fix your LA90D via a firmware update?
No.
Did you smell anything burning from the LA90D when the problem happened?
No.
Sorry if these are silly questions, it’s a wishful thinking that this is software issue although it is very highly unlikely.

I was just about to place the order of the LA90D from a local retailer that have it in stock, as usual I came here to read the comments first and sure enough my plan is now stalled.
Definitely not the time to buy yet...

nawfal07

Yes. Two dead amps.

No.

No.

Definitely not the time to buy yet...

Thanks, hope they can fix the issue. Currently reading the TP RA3 review thread but don’t worry I’m going to wait a couple of months before deciding lol.

I mean, I knew the issues with the PA5 (I was smart enough to sell mine before it happened, can’t return it for no reason) but I thought they would’ve learned something.

Mezo

There’s absolutely no noise floor if that’s what you mean, it’s dead silent. Also only using one of these cables.
Aaahh now I see it...thanks for the photo...I totally missed that the XLR was a 4 pin..ok...actually I didn't know they made 4 pin XLR cables :)

More importantly and back on to the thread...I'm glad your LA90 Discrete is working flawlessly...when mine wasn't making crackling noises it sounded amazing.

Sending this one back and I think I'm going to try the Vidar 2...have a great one!

aphysically

Apos weirdly responded and gave me a return label for a full refund of the second failed LA90D (I say weirdly since I wasn’t expecting a response after ~50 days of silence and countless emails requesting comment on the status). There’s an open PayPal claim on that order that they haven’t responded to and will expire soon. I’ll send the other LA90D back now that they provided a shipping label and just add the info to the PayPal case. You can’t dispute a transaction twice so it doesn’t make sense for me to close it. No refund yet we will see what happens. I hope they don’t give me crap for an open PayPal dispute, but they didn’t really give me an option with the silence…..

Down South

I see that Topping have introduced a new DAC and h/phone amp and the notorious LA90 D is still available from Shenzhenaudio.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it’s time to go back to the non-discrete version of the LA90?

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe it’s time to go back to the non-discrete version of the LA90?

I maybe wrong, but my understanding is that the ICs in the original are no longer available.

Bds3151

I think Topping s/b renamed Popping. My LA90D is doing that now and I just sent an email to Apos. We'll see how that will go. Amir should remove this product from the recommended list given the number of reported problems.

ommadusk

I think Topping s/b renamed Popping. My LA90D is doing that now and I just sent an email to Apos. We'll see how that will go. Amir should remove this product from the recommended list given the number of reported problems.
That's funny! Sorry to hear this though. I'd like to see the disclaimer at the bottom changed to include a reference to Topping's past record on the PA5 - it's a good example of an unreliable amplifier. I'd also like to see a caveat put with the votes at the top of many of these threads including this one saying that the people voting don't necessarily own the product and so it's not right to assume that the people are voting for a reliable product.

Edited. @amirm

Last edited:

Mezo

I definitely would, just not a LA90 until everything is cleared up.
You're right...so I did buy the previous version which didn't have these problems...apparently their last one as it's no longer listed in the 'certified' pre-owned equipment...and APOS + Shenzhen have increased their pricing from $670 to $799 again. So there you go...the delta in measurements between the Discrete and previous version are so low I won't be able to tell the difference. There is a Topping LA90 on sale at usaudiomart.com for $590 if anyone is interested. I just wanted something very neutral sounding so I can match it with a Freya+ and play with different NOS 6SN7 tubes sound. My other amps sound great but when I add tubes in the pre-amp the get a little too 'warm' sounding. Warm + Neutral = Perfect (clarity + musicality)...Warm + Warm = more musicality but loses some detail that I like. Back on thread, would be interesting to see if we can find out what was wrong with the LA90 Discretes that were Popping and locking...lol

AaronJ

That's funny! Sorry to hear this though. I'd like to see the disclaimer at the bottom changed to include a reference to Topping's past record on the PA5 - it's a good example of an unreliable amplifier. I'd also like to see a caveat put with the votes at the top of many of these threads including this one saying that the people voting don't necessarily own the product and so it's not right to assume that the people are voting for a reliable product.

Edited. @amirm
No, people are voting on the measured performance. Amir's review is all about performance. Value proposition is up to the consumer to determine.

ommadusk

No, people are voting on the measured performance. Amir's review is all about performance. Value proposition is up to the consumer to determine.
The vote only says 'rate this amplifer' so I think it would be helpful to the reader if it said what you just did.

Top Bottom