• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 15.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 304 75.4%

• Total voters

Down South

I wonder if we can get 1 or 2 of these failed units that have already been refunded / replaced into the hands of someone with the correct EE background to troubleshoot and see if there is some hopefully simple flaw.

I agree 100% with any sentiment that this is a Topping problem to solve and hopefully they will release a revised version and be open about their findings and the fix, but no reason someone with the interest and ability can't also be taking a look from a different angle.
I did suggest this some time ago.

aphysically

I can now confirm a complete refund from BrightAudio on both amps, endorsed by Topping and refunded from aliexpress.
Topping is apparently still troubleshooting the problem with the failing LA90Ds.
Retailers are still listing the amp. I do not know if it is still actually being shipped. I hope not.
Apos now lists shipping by 8/15

I wonder if we can get 1 or 2 of these failed units that have already been refunded / replaced into the hands of someone with the correct EE background to troubleshoot and see if there is some hopefully simple flaw.

I agree 100% with any sentiment that this is a Topping problem to solve and hopefully they will release a revised version and be open about their findings and the fix, but no reason someone with the interest and ability can't also be taking a look from a different angle.
If Apos doesn’t respond to my claim (likely) I will be automatically given a refund and I’ll have an extra failed LA90D to tinker with.

tmitchmd

Apos now lists shipping by 8/15

If Apos doesn’t respond to my claim (likely) I will be automatically given a refund and I’ll have an extra failed LA90D to tinker with.
That's a good sign. BrightAudio says they are still selling, but are they shipping?
If you or someone else figures out a cure, please let me know...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Don't get why people still buy topping devices.. LA90D problems, A90D Problems.. PA5 a nightmare...some older stuff that basically shouldn't be allowed to be sold to begin with .

So many devices where channels or inputs stop working or the whole thing doesn't make it past 30 days to begin with...

DACs that perform well but don't even use all channels of a chip or have all features implemented.

pma

Major Contributor
Don't get why people still buy topping devices.. LA90D problems, A90D Problems.. PA5 a nightmare...some older stuff that basically shouldn't be allowed to be sold to begin with .

So many devices where channels or inputs stop working or the whole thing doesn't make it past 30 days to begin with...

DACs that perform well but don't even use all channels of a chip or have all features implemented.
Because they get positive reviews, especially here ….
People look at numbers.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they get positive reviews, especially here ….
People look at numbers.

People look at numbers - and performance numbers are instant, while reliability issues take time. We humans are notoriously poor and inconsistent in behaving based on future possible risks.

We also have much less complete information about reliability than about performance. Folks can be fairly certain the Topping product will perform as measured (at least initially), but different people have different ways of calculating the risk of their particular unit failing in the future, especially since it's impossible to tell how representative the sample of consumers is based on reading problem reports.

To be clear, I am not trying to say that Topping products could be just as reliable as others, and I am not trying to minimize or dismiss the reliability issue. It seems clear that more than one Topping product has had reliability problems that are higher than average, by however small or large a degree. And personally, that's a major reason I have zero interest in Topping when it comes to amplifiers, and almost zero interest in Topping when it comes to DACs.

Mezo

Same exact problem with my Topping LA90 Discrete. Popping and crackling intermittantly and I just had to turn everthing off to keep it from damaging my speakers. Really liked this amp but from the minute I plugged it in there was the popping and crackling. It was intermittant so I could listen at times without the noise, but when it hits it's loud and I'm concerned it could damage other components. I checked cables, used alternate DACs and Preamps, cut the preamp out and went DAC into it and still the same issue on just the right channel. It even made the crackling noise with it connected to the speakers but no input.

I purchased on Amazon so it's going back asap. And yes I had a ****** experience with APOS as well. I think there's one guy name Bob. He (alias) only responded in the early morning like 2-3am so assuming he is a team from China. So I cancelled my order from APOS after waiting a month when they said they still didn't have the amp or know when it will be in and bought from Amazon and got a lemon. Amazon is easy return, but again I liked this amp so if you have one that works with no issues please let us all know and where you bought it. There must be thousands out there with no problems...right? Thanks

Last edited:

Down South

People look at numbers - and performance numbers are instant, while reliability issues take time. We humans are notoriously poor and inconsistent in behaving based on future possible risks.

We also have much less complete information about reliability than about performance. Folks can be fairly certain the Topping product will perform as measured (at least initially), but different people have different ways of calculating the risk of their particular unit failing in the future, especially since it's impossible to tell how representative the sample of consumers is based on reading problem reports.

To be clear, I am not trying to say that Topping products could be just as reliable as others, and I am not trying to minimize or dismiss the reliability issue. It seems clear that more than one Topping product has had reliability problems that are higher than average, by however small or large a degree. And personally, that's a major reason I have zero interest in Topping when it comes to amplifiers, and almost zero interest in Topping when it comes to DACs.
Long ago I learned the only reviews that are actually worth a damn are user reviews. Amir's reviews like audio mag reviews alert someone to the performance figures of new gear and may well spark an interest in buying but it's the user reviews that should prompt the signal to buy.

I well remember seeing a mag review for dealing with LP static problems, it was called Permostat. I bought it. used it and then found out that it produced a horrible gunge on the stylus. The good news it it prompted me to buy the AT ultrasonic stylus cleaner which I still have today. It leaves the stylus really clean and has never damaged any stylus in decades.

By chance this morning on my mobile up popped a review for the Topping about 5 months old, not a squeak about all the problems - a good sales pitch will make eskimos buy snow making machines - as always - caveat emptor.

tmitchmd

There must be thousands out there with no problems...right?
Uh, wrong. Every single individual on this thread who purchased the LA90D experienced failure within 30 days of plugging it in, afaik.
If there is anyone out there with a different experience, by all means please share it with us.
From all appearances Topping is taking this problem seriously and trying to solve it. Hence, no amps for Apos to sell for the time being.
A lot rides on their successfully doing so. The plain vanilla LA90 which the LA90D replaced was getting stellar reviews and not just from Amir.
The LA90D was supposed to be an improvement but obviously there is a problem. Bad timing for Topping. They would have sold a lot of LA90s on the strength of the review in The Absolute Sound. However, by the time that review came out, production of LA90s had ceased, already replaced by LA90Ds.
Let's hope for Topping's sake and for our own that they get it right and soon...

Kuromi

Could anyone here tell me if there would be a difference between the D90SE and A90D as a preamp for two LA90D's? Would I be gaining anything other than a headphone amp when adding a A90D to a D90SE + 2 x LA90D setup?

tritopia

Uh, wrong. Every single individual on this thread who purchased the LA90D experienced failure within 30 days of plugging it in, afaik.
If there is anyone out there with a different experience, by all means please share it with us.
From all appearances Topping is taking this problem seriously and trying to solve it. Hence, no amps for Apos to sell for the time being.
A lot rides on their successfully doing so. The plain vanilla LA90 which the LA90D replaced was getting stellar reviews and not just from Amir.
The LA90D was supposed to be an improvement but obviously there is a problem. Bad timing for Topping. They would have sold a lot of LA90s on the strength of the review in The Absolute Sound. However, by the time that review came out, production of LA90s had ceased, already replaced by LA90Ds.
Let's hope for Topping's sake and for our own that they get it right and soon...
Not all are like that. I used the LA90 and replaced it with the LA90D. It's been about 2 months and it's still fine.
However, it seems clear that defects occur with high frequency, and I am very interested in the cause and solution.

tmitchmd

Not all are like that...It's been about 2 months and it's still fine.
However, it seems clear that defects occur with high frequency, and I am very interested in the cause and solution.
You're the first on the thread, afaik, whose LA90D hasn't yet failed...

Mezo

Thanks tmitchmd, nice to know I'm not alone, but sorry to all those who have had to deal with it. There were moments when I thought 'this is a great amp' and then a pop or crackle would wreck that thought. I'm sending mine back and hope that they correct the problem. One thing to note is that there will probably be a ton of these being sold as 'open box' or 'refurbished' and the pain will continue for some time as they get cleaned up.

On another note, I really liked about this amp was how I could sweeten the detail with tubes in my Freya+. I have to many amps that are already warm sounding so adding tubes in the pre-amp can make them too sweet/warm. But this was a perfect combination...I have and have heard a lot of great amps but this Freya+ and LA90 D was pretty impressive regardless of cost...pop...crackle...pop pop...crackle...LoL

Kuromi

You're the first on the thread, afaik, whose LA90D hasn't yet failed...
I've had mine for 1 month now and it's going fine, what's been happening? They just break after a month or two? Don't power on or something?

Edit: I've been using mine as a headphone amp with the Susvara, I just got a set of metas so I'll listen to those and see if I get the popping/crackling issue.

Last edited:

Mezo

Hi zxSwifty...if you follow the thread you will see that all of our LA90 Ds have an intermitant crackling and popping sound due to something failing in the amp. You may be using a different LA90 headphone amp? The LA90 Descrete that we are discussing doesn't have a headphone jack.

Kuromi

Hi zxSwifty...if you follow the thread you will see that all of our LA90 Ds have an intermitant crackling and popping sound due to something failing in the amp. You may be using a different LA90 headphone amp? The LA90 Descrete that we are discussing doesn't have a headphone jack.
I am using a LA90 discrete with a speaker taps to XLR adapter.

Mezo

Sorry I don't know what that is, but if it works for you then great and you have a unicorn LA90D that isn't from Kelloggs...you know...snap crackle pop...lol

Kuromi

Sorry I don't know what that is, but if it works for you then great and you have a unicorn LA90D that isn't from Kelloggs...you know...snap crackle pop...lol
It's a cable a banana plug to xlr cable that lets you use headphones with speaker amps. I'm praying that I don't experience this issue, I've ordered a second LA90 discrete from Aliexpress while it was on sale and it has been delayed by a month because apparently they have no stock anywhere.

Mezo

So you are running headphones on a balanced XLR cable with a banana plug and the power doesn't fry your headphones and there is no balanced to unbalanced compatability issues. I'm curious if you could share a picture of that config and yes we are speculating that Topping has halted production to fix the problem. Distributors like Shenzhen audio and APOs are posting longer than usual lead times. Like 45 days instread of the usualy 30 day lead times. I bought through Amazon from Shenzhen so if needed the return would be easy. And now I have to return it so got lucky. Anyway have a good night.

Kuromi

So you are running headphones on a balanced XLR cable with a banana plug and the power doesn't fry your headphones and there is no balanced to unbalanced compatability issues. I'm curious if you could share a picture of that config and yes we are speculating that Topping has halted production to fix the problem. Distributors like Shenzhen audio and APOs are posting longer than usual lead times. Like 45 days instread of the usualy 30 day lead times. I bought through Amazon from Shenzhen so if needed the return would be easy. And now I have to return it so got lucky. Anyway have a good night.
Would this be a unbalanced connection to a balanced one? Yes the power doesn't fry the headphone. I listen to the Susvara at 12o'clock on high gain and it's fine. Have pushed it higher and while it becomes painful it doesn't hurt the headphone. You can even use IEMS with the LA90, however, this may not be a good idea with other speaker amps. This is the type of cable I am talking about.
3423532-d3b05da4-headphone-to-speaker-taps-adapter-cable.jpg

Top Bottom