• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

jbiribi

yes, you just need to buy a normal transformer with 110/115 primaries (many have just 2x115 primaries that you can wire parallel for a 115V grid or series for a 230V grid) and a 15V secondary (sometimes it is 2x7.5). The original one i had and overheated and burned in an explosive way and I replaced it with a german PCB transformer. It takes almost no soldering skills to put it together with a couple of breadboards.

Never use one that can output less than 1.06A (16VA) and I would suggest to even go a bit beyond that.

I have already given details here
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-228#post-765406

and a picture

View attachment 137491

NOTA BENE: despite this being quite easy to do, Topping cannot be held responsible if you damage the L30 or something else at home, or you electrocute yourself because you chose the wrong transformer or you wired it incorrectly. Neither can I: the instructions are correct and I have verified them. My L30 works like charm and the transformed I picked runs cooler than the original wall wart type. But if I kill myself I am the only one responsible. If you build your replacement, this becomes a DIY project “derived” from the L30, even if technically the L30 itself is untouched. Ok?

I thought about this option, but even a 110/15V AC/AC transformer isn't easy to find in my country (Brazil). This is why I'm asking here. But thank you.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's a new L30 that I bought from aliexpress. Serial number starts with 2101. My city is 110V but the seller sent 220V. He don't have the 110V option and don't know where I could find one. I can buy a simple 110/220 transformer, of course, but if I could find a new power supply for my L30 would be better.

The seller should have provided you with a 110V (in case you specified this). He can order the correct one from topping.

jbiribi

The seller should have provided you with a 110V (in case you specified this). He can order the correct one from topping.

He didn't mentioned on the product page that the power supply from L30 wasn't 110/220, and sent the 220V without asking me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He should have asked. Is entire Brasil 110V ? Did he knew it was sent to Brasil ?

jbiribi

He should have asked. Is entire Brasil 110V ? Did he knew it was sent to Brasil ?

We have the two voltages here in Brazil, some cities are 220V and others are 110V. Probably someone bought from Brazil and said that was 220V and he understood that Brazil's voltage is 220V

Urushi

So my L30 wall wart started smoking. Serial number 200962xxxx. Can I get a replacement for free? What is a good alternative to a Topping? I like that the topping is small. I am using it with a Dragonfly red and Senheisser HD650s.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So my L30 wall wart started smoking. Serial number 200962xxxx. Can I get a replacement for free? What is a good alternative to a Topping? I like that the topping is small. I am using it with a Dragonfly red and Senheisser HD650s.

You should NOT use 2009 L30's in any case.
Contact the seller. Ask him for a full refund as when you get a replacement you can't use it as your PS is broken.
With the refund buy a new L30.

Urushi

You should NOT use 2009 L30's in any case.
Contact the seller. Ask him for a full refund as when you get a replacement you can't use it as your PS is broken.
With the refund buy a new L30.
I bought it from Amazon. Is there something I should reference for the refund? Like was there an official recall?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just contact your seller. He is aware of the situation on the L30.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Can you point me to it or do I need to read 235 pages?

Well, I also do not want to re-read 235 pages, but try to use the search function. (Do not take it personally, but I am watching the football game :)

Last edited:

Urushi

I put in a request to the seller through Amazon. Thank you both for your help.

frankh

Sorry, I have not been following this thread for a long time. Does the L30 with serial number 2006XXXX falls under the recall list?

THW

Forum Donor
Sorry, I have not been following this thread for a long time. Does the L30 with serial number 2006XXXX falls under the recall list?

yes, anything before 2012xxxx falls under the recall list I’m quite sure.

kernelpanic

Is it safe to assume the preamp mode performs just as well if not better than the headphone mode? Would using this as the volume control be better than using the digital volume in my DAC? (SMSL SU-8V2)?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
pre-amp out = headphone out.

Use the volume control that is most convenient for you.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I think someone already posted about this, but I'm not sure.

My Win7/foobar2000/EAPO/E30/L30 setup works great. But it seems that every time music stops, a couple of seconds later, I have a slight "click/pop" on my headphones. It's tiny but still totally audible. FYI the click/pop comes :
  • about 3 seconds later if I hit "stop" (or the player reaches the end of a playlist and stops itself),
  • or about 4 seconds later if I press "pause" (yes, it's not exactly the same interval, don't know why).
What would that be, where would it come from, and how could I get rid of it ? Thanks !

half_dog

Hi, I think someone already posted about this, but I'm not sure.

My Win7/foobar2000/EAPO/E30/L30 setup works great. But it seems that every time music stops, a couple of seconds later, I have a slight "click/pop" on my headphones. It's tiny but still totally audible. FYI the click/pop comes :
  • about 3 seconds later if I hit "stop" (or the player reaches the end of a playlist and stops itself),
  • or about 4 seconds later if I press "pause" (yes, it's not exactly the same interval, don't know why).
What would that be, where would it come from, and how could I get rid of it ? Thanks !
I have a D10s (bought at may of this year) and a E30 (bought last year soon after the phase fix). Using the D10s I can hear a click noise everytime a little after the sound is stoped or paused and soon as it come back or a new content is sent to DAC - none of this with E30. I think it is relay output or mute function which was implemented in recent revisions.

Top Bottom