• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

half_dog

Nice! Last question, a unit with 2012 does not have thise new protection layer, right. As you said just the newest units...

Yasuo

ESD protection so there's another path for ESD current to go instead of the input pin of the opamp. Newly designed models will have another layer of protection, dedicated ESD clamping diodes for every input and output.

By newly, what do you mean?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
ESD protection so there's another path for ESD current to go instead of the input pin of the opamp. Newly designed models will have another layer of protection, dedicated ESD clamping diodes for every input and output.

Wait, so the replacements we got are not fully fixed?

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are safe to use because they are protected against the two ESD issues that were discovered. But newer revisions are always possible, and customers aren't entitled to them as long as their current revision is safe to use.

When you buy an electronic product, the manufacturer has the right to modify the board and release newer revisions without even telling about it, as long as the advertised specs are preserved. That happens with all kinds of products, for example to optimize production costs. We generally don't even know it because manufacturers hardly tell about it. In that case the only way of finding out is disassembling the product to check its board revision.

At least Topping says things upfront, which I think is great. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I took his comments to mean entirely new models (so not L30) will have better ESD measures built in. Not that newer revisions of the L30 will. The L30 is stated to have been made safe from serial numbers 2012 ONWARDS.

Yasuo

To some extent it's fair, I've seen many PCBs showing the version on them, alas it's the frustration that you're not getting the "best" version of that product. But at least you got it earlier. As an analogy I can relate this with software or video games which don't have the all the updates/patches/fixes on release, guess sometimes it's worth to wait.

eleven99

Hi All, I have the E30/L30 combo that came with topping RCA cables (from Shenzhen audio) it is a great stack but i find the stock RCA too stiff and long, does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of cables that allow the units to stack nicely on my desk? Thanks

Thalis

Hi All, I have the E30/L30 combo that came with topping RCA cables (from Shenzhen audio) it is a great stack but i find the stock RCA too stiff and long, does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of cables that allow the units to stack nicely on my desk? Thanks

I am using RG6 cables that are also super stiff so I just tie them together lightly with zip ties.

Veri

Master Contributor
I love world best cables on Amazon. Just buy any short ones in stock with good reviews. High quality, supple. Love 'em.

THW

Forum Donor
so my L30 came in today.

...aaaaand I'm already impressed. negative gain is very useful for sensitive headphones/IEMs. even with what seems to be a somewhat noisy source like the Scarlett Solo, on the -9 dB setting I couldn't hear noise at all and I had to strain my ears at the 0 dB setting to hear even the slightest bit of noise. with a substantially cleaner DAC like the DX3 Pro on line out, noise is utterly inaudible even on +9 dB setting. it also seems to be quite well-made and has good channel balance.

in addition, there is more than enough power to drive my HD 600s with authority even on medium gain (connected to Scarlett Solo's line out with TRS to RCA adapters) at least on some of the softer music I own, stacked with my EQ's -10 dB gain setting.

great product, will recommend.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
so my L30 came in today.

...aaaaand I'm already impressed. negative gain is very useful for sensitive headphones/IEMs. even with what seems to be a somewhat noisy source like the Scarlett Solo, on the -9 dB setting I couldn't hear noise at all and I had to strain my ears at the 0 dB setting to hear even the slightest bit of noise. with a substantially cleaner DAC like the DX3 Pro on line out, noise is utterly inaudible even on +9 dB setting. it also seems to be quite well-made and has good channel balance.

in addition, there is more than enough power to drive my HD 600s with authority even on medium gain (connected to Scarlett Solo's line out with TRS to RCA adapters) at least on some of the softer music I own, stacked with my EQ's -10 dB gain setting.

great product, will recommend.

It is a little gem. My Lehmann Black Cube Linear is collecting dust now.

THW

Forum Donor
It is a little gem. My Lehmann Black Cube Linear is collecting dust now.

even more so when the asking price is considered. US$130?!

also forgot to mention, controls are easy to understand which is very nice. maybe not the most important but I’m pretty certain I can operate the L30 while in the dark.

in terms of controls the only nitpick I have is the position of the volume knob, but given the small size of the L30 this is easily forgiven. it really is just a mild inconvenience at worst.

half_dog

Which DAC are you guys using with this that you would recommend?
Anything like a Topping D10s, E30, Sonata HD PRO (Hidizs S8) will "meet" your needs for most scenarios... At first I had a Khadas Tone Board 1 with my L30 but it has some USB noise leaking. If you want something for streaming maybe another DAC Allo Boss2 will do better.

Kennedy

Alright, ordered a Sonata HD Pro :) I am very curious how much of an upgrade this will be from an old SMSL M3.

jbiribi

Hi. Anyone knows a power supply replacement for the L30? The input voltage should be 110V.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi. Anyone knows a power supply replacement for the L30? The input voltage should be 110V.

You should contact the seller you bought the L30 from. He can supply you with the right wallwart.
Did the adapter die on you ?

Question: Did you buy the L30 (without an adapter) somewhere secondhand ?
If so check the serial number, when it starts with a number below 2012xxxx then it makes sense you are looking for an adapter because the free replacement the previous owner received doesn't come with an adapter.
In that case that individual that sold you his L30 that is supposed to be destroyed has just been scamming you.

When it is a serial number below 2012 I would recommend not to use it. You might end up with a burned out headphone some day.

mocenigo

Major Contributor

yes, you just need to buy a normal transformer with 110/115 primaries (many have just 2x115 primaries that you can wire parallel for a 115V grid or series for a 230V grid) and a 15V secondary (sometimes it is 2x7.5). The original one i had and overheated and burned in an explosive way and I replaced it with a german PCB transformer. It takes almost no soldering skills to put it together with a couple of breadboards.

Never use one that can output less than 1.06A (16VA) and I would suggest to even go a bit beyond that.

I have already given details here
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-228#post-765406

and a picture

43EC57F3-E7D6-4E55-B46F-7599EB39E427.jpeg

NOTA BENE: despite this being quite easy to do, Topping cannot be held responsible if you damage the L30 or something else at home, or you electrocute yourself because you chose the wrong transformer or you wired it incorrectly. Neither can I: the instructions are correct and I have verified them. My L30 works like charm and the transformed I picked runs cooler than the original wall wart type. But if I kill myself I am the only one responsible. If you build your replacement, this becomes a DIY project “derived” from the L30, even if technically the L30 itself is untouched. Ok?

Last edited:

jbiribi

You should contact the seller you bought the L30 from. He can supply you with the right wallwart.
Did the adapter die on you ?

Question: Did you buy the L30 (without an adapter) somewhere secondhand ?
If so check the serial number, when it starts with a number below 2012xxxx then it makes sense you are looking for an adapter because the free replacement the previous owner received doesn't come with an adapter.
In that case that individual that sold you his L30 that is supposed to be destroyed has just been scamming you.

When it is a serial number below 2012 I would recommend not to use it. You might end up with a burned out headphone some day.

It's a new L30 that I bought from aliexpress. Serial number starts with 2101. My city is 110V but the seller sent 220V. He don't have the 110V option and don't know where I could find one. I can buy a simple 110/220 transformer, of course, but if I could find a new power supply for my L30 would be better.

Top Bottom