• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

mackat

Forum Donor
Probably due to the apples powersaving mode. Try soundsource and increase the buffer size.

Or you could update to Mac os Sonoma Beta.

And a simple solution for roon is using a raspberry pi as endpoint with RoopieXL. That way you use ALSA and get around all those issues.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...utters-with-usb-dacs-on-macbook-m1-pro.42001/

16 pages of Apple users struggling with USB Audio stutter regardless of what DAC is used. It's not the E70.

Thank you both for the help! I was aware of that issue, but didn't think it applied at the time - then I realized I likely had 100+ tabs open.

I have experienced it before, but it sounded much more obvious. I just tried the E70 Velvet with Windows 10 and didn't experience any issues.

Good thing Sonoma is right around the corner.

It's also a good thing my intended use case for this is in fact a Raspberry Pi with RoPieeeXL :)

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thank you both for the help! I was aware of that issue, but didn't think it applied at the time - then I realized I likely had 100+ tabs open.

I have experienced it before, but it sounded much more obvious. I just tried the E70 Velvet with Windows 10 and didn't experience any issues.

Good thing Sonoma is right around the corner.

It's also a good thing my intended use case for this is in fact a Raspberry Pi with RoPieeeXL :)

It's possible to register for the beta and for free.

I'm running already the new iPad , apple TV OS and Sonoma since a while.

bogi

Direct DSD playback is impressive in both DAC mode and preamp mode.

Direct DSD means no intermediate conversion to PCM domain and no re-modulation. DSD signal is directly passed to D/A conversion stage without any resampling or format conversion which could affect data resolution.

No direct DSD playback exists with volume control (preamp mode) if device does not use analog volume control. That's because current DAC chips are unable to perform volume control in DSD domain.

drewdawg999

For me, not implementing DSD Direct with an AKM chip is a big lost opportunity and a disappointment. Deal breaker, actually, as I've been eyeing this DAC for a while and better DSD decoding is a big selling point for AKM DACs. E70 would be likely be good enough if DSDD is frittered away. I'm jumping ship to the SMSL D-6, seems to check all the boxes especially with DSDD support, just going to need new cables to convert 1/4" TRS to XLR. Will save a couple hundred bucks too.

Toku

Major Contributor
For me, not implementing DSD Direct with an AKM chip is a big lost opportunity and a disappointment. Deal breaker, actually, as I've been eyeing this DAC for a while and better DSD decoding is a big selling point for AKM DACs. E70 would be likely be good enough if DSDD is frittered away. I'm jumping ship to the SMSL D-6, seems to check all the boxes especially with DSDD support, just going to need new cables to convert 1/4" TRS to XLR. Will save a couple hundred bucks too.
AKM's 4493EQ and AKM4499EQ+AK4191EQ DACs have a DSD Direct mode.
However, only the E30ll/E30 clearly states the inclusion of DSD Direct mode, and there is no explanation for the E70 VELVET.
To use DSD Direct mode, simply turn on a flag in the DAC chip's operation settings, but only the manufacturer knows this.

drewdawg999

Not really... you lose volume control which I would prefer over some dream that DSD direct is somehow going to sound better.

JSmith
Perhaps it is a dream, but I'm holding on to it since I just ordered an SMSL D-6. It's a feature on the chip, why not implement it so we can compare and contrast? I personally don't need volume control, plugging into a Pre90 and prefer setting my DAC to full volume. I yearned for a E70V for a couple months but it's just not Velvety enough for my taste. Hope the D-6 doesn't disappoint, I already have a DO100 so all I'm gaining is AKM chips and DSD direct. But I use my DAC mainly for redbook CD and have had great success converting DSD to redbook and burning my 80 minute treasures. Yet I hold out hope for DSDD to bring some extra magic to the table, we shall see soon enough.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Not really... you lose volume control which I would prefer over some dream that DSD direct is somehow going to sound better.

JSmith
The advantage of DSD direct mode is that you get to bypass the delta sigma modulator of the DAC and use your own (better) through software like HQPlayer.

The smsl D300 (Rohm chip) has that feature for example

Snoopy

Major Contributor
And it will sound better because someone says it does? There needs to be serious large sample testing of these claims. But it's not likely to ever happen.
You can try it for yourself.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
And, does it sound better? :)

No actual evidence from anyone anywhere that DSD has inherently better SQ than PCM. Lots and lots of claims though.

gjm

Early implementations of DAC chips often overlook many features that the chip manufacturer has included. This is 'rush to market' stuff - there's insufficient lead-time to sort what may be considered 'extras'.

bogi

JSmith
I disagree: The only safe way how to avoid intersample overflows with delta sigma oversampling DACs and recordings mastered up to 0 dB is volume control in player (digital signal source).

Software players do all DSP in floating point resolution, usually 64bit. Together with higher computational power it allows higher precision calculation without calculation error affecting target digital audio signal resolution.

Last edited:

bogi

And it will sound better because someone says it does? There needs to be serious large sample testing of these claims. But it's not likely to ever happen.

Not true. Audiophile Style forum contains lot of DAC measurements with HQPlayer doing PCM to DSD conversion on DAC input. These measurements show that higher rate DSD signal is superior to PCM input (at any sample rate).

That are the measurements Amir is not doing. Despite all delta sigma DACs are oversampling DACs and although these DACs perform oversampling with restricted hardware capabilities, which leads to restricted quality, Amir states: There is no value in upsampling. Best case is that you get what you put in there. Worst case is some loss.

For me it brings no much value to read this flat Earthers 'science' forum. I find real innovations and science elsewhere. This forum is maintained from point of view of mainstream industry and not from user point of view nor openness to innovations.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not true. Audiophile Style forum contains lot of DAC measurements with HQPlayer doing PCM to DSD conversion on DAC input. These measurements show that higher rate DSD signal is superior to PCM input (at any sample rate).

Any listening tests?

For me it brings no much value to read this flat Earthers 'science' forum.

What an odd projection.

. This forum is maintained from point of view of mainstream industry and not from user point of view nor opennes to innovations.

We are open to innovation that is real innovation, which requires evidence. What you have isn't that.

bogi

We are open to innovation that is real innovation, which requires evidence. What you have isn't that.

Instead of improper standings based on missing knowledge fullfill your homework: Search for measurements at the right place learn how to interpret them.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
We have seen better measured distortion performance in ESS DACs when fed with DSD rather than PCM. Apparently all the shaped noise is basically "dithering away" the ESS hump.

Accidental superiority as a result of DAC implementation is not the same as inherent superiority though.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Instead of improper standings based on missing knowledge fullfill your homework: Search for measurements at the right place learn how to interpret them.

Uh huh.

drewdawg999

AKM's 4493EQ and AKM4499EQ+AK4191EQ DACs have a DSD Direct mode.
However, only the E30ll/E30 clearly states the inclusion of DSD Direct mode, and there is no explanation for the E70 VELVET.
To use DSD Direct mode, simply turn on a flag in the DAC chip's operation settings, but only the manufacturer knows this.
DSD Direct passthrough is mentioned in the D-6 manual, which is why I got it and it sounds wonderful. It uses a new AK4493S chip, the S stands for superior. DSDD is also mentioned in the manual of the new D400 Pro, a beautiful looking DAC that uses flagship AKM chips, but it costs a lot more. I think DSD Direct sounds better, doing a sighted A/B with DAC only mode, can't offer any objective evidence, but certainly I hear a difference. As mentioned upthread, the E70 Velvet only has a DAC only mode with fixed volume, not the same as DSD Direct.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think DSD Direct sounds better, doing a sighted A/B with DAC only mode, can't offer any objective evidence, but certainly I hear a difference.
giphy.gif

A sighted A/B comparison is generally useless... one can't peek and proper volume matching is a must.

JSmith

Top Bottom