• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

MadMaxx

An unrelated question, but does anyone know if one would get better sound quality if only using either the rca option or the xlr option, and not both active at the same time?
I run XLR to my monitors and RCA to my subwoofer. Haven’t noticed any diminished sound quality compared to when I just used XLR.

Vladetz

No changelog? Then the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" even more makes sense. My guess, update is relaxing jitter for the optical input.
1683121876250.png

So... Topping firmware updater shows that my E70 Velvet already has 1.04 firmware

E70 Velvet arrived Wednesday, have had it working nonstop (with the amp off overnight) since arrival. Blows my Sabaj A20d 2022 out of the water. In every way, from every source. Don’t miss MQA compatibility at all, upstreaming Tidal in Audirvana to DSD 256 through Zen Stream. Clean as a whistle, quiet as a mouse. Should’ve kept the Sabaj box… it’ll be going away soon.

Daorom

E70 Velvet arrived Wednesday, have had it working nonstop (with the amp off overnight) since arrival. Blows my Sabaj A20d 2022 out of the water. In every way, from every source. Don’t miss MQA compatibility at all, upstreaming Tidal in Audirvana to DSD 256 through Zen Stream. Clean as a whistle, quiet as a mouse. Should’ve kept the Sabaj box… it’ll be going away soon.
It is only necessary that it works with an amplifier so that the current passes, and not just the voltage. For warming up.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Только надо чтоб работал с усилителем, чтобы ток проходил, а не просто напряжение было. Для прогрева.
A DeepL translaton;
It only needs to work with an amplifier, so that the current flows, not just voltage. For warm-up.

JSmith

Abe_W

Got the VELVET this morning....Incredible sound and preamp quality....It appears to have some sonic attributes of the higher end R2R dacs though spatial cues within the soundfield appear a li'l less pronounced than the latter.
This level of fidelity was unheard of for 450 dollars 10 years ago!

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
My comment wasn't meant for you, obviously.
The comment was made on ASR... so why not do some comparisons without peeking and note your results? From there members can conduct more in depth testing to verify your claims. Otherwise, and with respect, it's nothing but subjective waffle that can't be verified by anyone.
talk to yourself and go to bed
This is an unnecessarily combative comment... speaks volumes, pun intended. ;)

JSmith

Abe_W

The comment was made on ASR... so why not do some comparisons without peeking and note your results? From there members can conduct more in depth testing to verify your claims. Otherwise, and with respect, it's nothing but subjective waffle that can't be verified by anyone.

This is an unnecessarily combative comment... speaks volumes, pun intended. ;)

JSmith
Read my comment again man.

Abe_W

You mean the one you edited after posting before the edit cut off time? Yes, I see it now... what of it? :p

JSmith
Yeah man, your audio precision kit doesn't cut it man. You are still living in the stone age w.r.t measurements man.

Abe_W

epic-facepalm.gif

Please... elaborate on your assertions. I'm sure you understand this is an evidence based forum.

JSmith
Show me all your measurements that describe modulations from components of a 3 dimensional soundfield in the time domain man. If you don't have that, throw your measurements in the trash bin and move on man. I have a feeling that you don't have the relevant education and field experience in test engineering disciplines to understand what I'm saying man. The ex Microsoft programmer who's tinkering with a audio precision toolkit to give you some charts/reviews wouldn't even know where to begin on the above mentioned, I think man.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
The ex Microsoft programmer who's tinkering with a audio precision toolkit to give you some charts/reviews wouldn't even know where to begin on the above mentioned, I think man.
@amirm ... I thought you may wish to address this comment personally.

JSmith

Veri

Master Contributor
Your silly lil charts couldn't describe a 3- dimensional soundfield in the time domain man
Well, I mean. Can you? Sure you present us this word spaghetti but what does all that even mean. Why would it sound any more 3-dimensional, what would we attribute this sound field to? Colour me very sceptical, in any case.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Show me all your measurements that describe modulations from components of a 3 dimensional soundfield in the time domain man. If you don't have that, throw your measurements in the trash bin and move on man. I have a feeling that you don't have the relevant education and field experience in test engineering disciplines to understand what I'm saying man. The ex Microsoft programmer who's tinkering with a audio precision toolkit to give you some charts/reviews wouldn't even know where to begin on the above mentioned, I think man.

Ending every sentence in “man” isn’t usually seen as a sign of education nor commonly found in engineering or academic discourse. Are you deploying a new rhetorical device I’m unfamiliar with?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah man, read the charts, talk to yourself and go to bed. My comment wasn't meant for you, obviously.

Your silly lil charts couldn't describe a 3- dimensional soundfield in the time domain man (your lil frequency domain snapshots don't mean much man). Big problem for you constrained scientists man...
What the heck are you doing here, man?? @AdamG247

Top Bottom