• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

anli

Hi. Are there other points except for galvanic isolation on selecting between optical and coaxial inputs?

rarewolf

Have ordered E70 with guess a difference between E70 and E70v is far below any blind test resolution, even for any golden ears.

And what is your opinion?

Our opinion? On what? The difference in sound quality between the E70 & E70V, or that you ordered the E70 based on a guess?

rarewolf

From what I’m hear from peers is that it’s purely a subjective call, so you’ll never know… least wise, of little concern…

tarnopol

Today I've received my E70 Velvet. Actually a near perfect little device, great display, Trigger out to finally remote switch on my LA90, transparent as f#€&. Only the remote control itself is a bit underwhelming. I wish they would come up with some nice design ideas and better usability after all those years.

Burns

Today I've received my E70 Velvet. Actually a near perfect little device, great display, Trigger out to finally remote switch on my LA90, transparent as f#€&. Only the remote control itself is a bit underwhelming. I wish they would come up with some nice design ideas and better usability after all those years.

Topping RC-22

Burns

Nice! Definitely a visual improvement. Do you have one? Does it work better from a distance or from an acute angle?
you answered yourself in the first sentence. It is made of aluminum and gives a visual and tactile improvement. You want better and maybe cheaper. Buy a learnable universal remote and program those few buttons from the original.

scruffy1

given my education here re dac transparency, and psycho-acoustics : apart from additional features, is it likely i would even notice the difference between this dac and my current khadas tone board, all other equipment in the chain being the same (nad d3020, wharfedale 10.1 and 10.gx)?

my ancient ears are still pretty sensitive, but >14000hz is lost to me

scruffy1

and the non-scientific answer is yes

after years of the nad d3020 remote (it's crap), the e70 remote is a marvellous improvement - in essence it's simply an on /off and choose source switch for my purposes. +/- volume if i must

between that and the 12v trigger, i can successfully avoid the nad controller from here on for the most part, and that's a major win

ErkyPerky

FWIW I'm using an E70 (Sabre) with my Parasound Hint6 & Dynaudio Contour 30, and I'm very pleased with this combo.

If you're set on going Topping, then definitely get one of the E70 models if you can because they measure among the best of them, and i think you will appreciate being able to use the 12V trigger feature with your Parasound.
Are you using it on 4v(default) or 5v?

HNK23

I doubt the difference between CD and APTX of any type can be heard at all.

It would be good to see some sort of review or even test of the bluetooth function of these devices. Lots of people, myself included, will want to use BT. Sometimes you just want to play something from your phone on the speakers.
Bluetooth? I think Bluetooth is already distinguishable in terms of quality. I no longer use Bluetooth anywhere. On the one hand, I have a Silent Angel Munich in the living room, which is operated via the app, and I was lucky with a fairly inexpensive smsl SD-9, which streams via UPNP. To Bluetooth I say - no thanks!

PersechiniA

I have the E70 Velvet running through a Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and LS50 Meta speakers. I hear a wider soundstage and more detail when in Preamp mode, compared with DAC mode. The difference in sound is enough to make it sound like a different recording.

What actually happens when switching between the two modes? If DAC mode bypasses an actual preamp (rather than just an attentuator), as I suspect, how do we end up with a similar output voltage?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I had assumed DAC mode would produce the best sound.

chillwig

I have the E70 Velvet running through a Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and LS50 Meta speakers. I hear a wider soundstage and more detail when in Preamp mode, compared with DAC mode. The difference in sound is enough to make it sound like a different recording.

What actually happens when switching between the two modes? If DAC mode bypasses an actual preamp (rather than just an attentuator), as I suspect, how do we end up with a similar output voltage?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I had assumed DAC mode would produce the best sound.
there is no preamp, just a digital attenuator that is switchable. You should hear no difference other than perceived loudness maybe.

Top Bottom