• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

threni

Major Contributor
I have the E70 Velvet running through a Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and LS50 Meta speakers. I hear a wider soundstage and more detail when in Preamp mode, compared with DAC mode. The difference in sound is enough to make it sound like a different recording.

What actually happens when switching between the two modes? If DAC mode bypasses an actual preamp (rather than just an attentuator), as I suspect, how do we end up with a similar output voltage?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I had assumed DAC mode would produce the best sound.
The difference is purely psychological and will disappear during a level matched blind test.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the E70 Velvet running through a Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and LS50 Meta speakers. I hear a wider soundstage and more detail when in Preamp mode, compared with DAC mode. The difference in sound is enough to make it sound like a different recording.

What actually happens when switching between the two modes? If DAC mode bypasses an actual preamp (rather than just an attentuator), as I suspect, how do we end up with a similar output voltage?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I had assumed DAC mode would produce the best sound.
It usually does in my experience with Topping DACS

PersechiniA

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps the perception argument is correct, but I expected the opposite result, and was careful to set the "Preamp" to 0 dB. I was hoping others have also seen this difference. I will have to investigate further.

MadMaxx

Nice! Definitely a visual improvement. Do you have one? Does it work better from a distance or from an acute angle?
Got mine a few days ago. The RC-22 is noticeably heavier/better built and works fine with my E70V.

PXL_20230506_002255656.jpg

aka_Z

But none of you answered the most important question above: "Does it work better from a distance or from an acute angle?" I don't care much about remote weight but it's quite annoying targeting device to be able to change the source.

Last edited:

scruffy1

Bluetooth? I think Bluetooth is already distinguishable in terms of quality. I no longer use Bluetooth anywhere. On the one hand, I have a Silent Angel Munich in the living room, which is operated via the app, and I was lucky with a fairly inexpensive smsl SD-9, which streams via UPNP. To Bluetooth I say - no thanks!

well, i am using bluetooth on the e70 from my android phone using home wifi as source via ldac, and the difference between that and streaming from the home theatre via ethernet and the usb is indistinguishable for spotify at 320kbps

sadly updates on either the qnap or android seem to have defeated me at accessing my files on the server so i can see if flac is equally comparable on ldac as ethernet

I'm thinking to get an E70. So far so good (no issues) ?

it is gorgeous - i have had the nad d3020 and wharfedale diamonds (pair of 10.1 with an active 10.gx sub) running almost incessantly during waking hours at home for the last few weeks

the 12v trigger is great, and the maligned remote is perfect for me (though to be fair, anything is better than the nad remote)

I have E70V for a while, so far so good. No issues, except I stopped watching crap on the TV, and went back reading good book and listening music instead :)

re angle of reception and distance? i have no need to use that function once it is turned on and adjusted (which happens while i'm over near it), so i can't actually say

i stopped watching tv over 2 decades ago, and cable almost two decades ago when they introduced advertising
now it's an occasional movie on netflix, or from the local library (or kanopy or beamafilm thanks to a library membership)

for no real reason i can remember i stopped reading books with any regularity in the mid 80's, and never seemed to get the urge again, having previously been a pretty voracious reader

but i listen to a lot of music, and despite missing pandora (living in the australia), i am gradually getting more satisfied with being subjected to spotify's algorithms

my next task when i get around to it is to figure how to bypass windows using asio drivers, but i am lazy and it sounds great unmolested

things i don't grok, and would love to understand :
  • i am keen to be educated on what the volume should be set at, because mine is at -10 for no particular reason - is zero optimal ?
  • and as for the filters... i can't actually find where they are to adjust them (so maybe i can make it even lovelier, but i may never know)
overall impressions and enjoyment at 2 weeks in = absolutely a great purchase; i'm loving it :D

Burns

well, i am using bluetooth on the e70 from my android phone using home wifi as source via ldac, and the difference between that and streaming from the home theatre via ethernet and the usb is indistinguishable for spotify at 320kbps

sadly updates on either the qnap or android seem to have defeated me at accessing my files on the server so i can see if flac is equally comparable on ldac as ethernet

it is gorgeous - i have had the nad d3020 and wharfedale diamonds (pair of 10.1 with an active 10.gx sub) running almost incessantly during waking hours at home for the last few weeks

the 12v trigger is great, and the maligned remote is perfect for me (though to be fair, anything is better than the nad remote)

re angle of reception and distance? i have no need to use that function once it is turned on and adjusted (which happens while i'm over near it), so i can't actually say

i stopped watching tv over 2 decades ago, and cable almost two decades ago when they introduced advertising
now it's an occasional movie on netflix, or from the local library (or kanopy or beamafilm thanks to a library membership)

for no real reason i can remember i stopped reading books with any regularity in the mid 80's, and never seemed to get the urge again, having previously been a pretty voracious reader

but i listen to a lot of music, and despite missing pandora (living in the australia), i am gradually getting more satisfied with being subjected to spotify's algorithms

my next task when i get around to it is to figure how to bypass windows using asio drivers, but i am lazy and it sounds great unmolested

things i don't grok, and would love to understand :
  • i am keen to be educated on what the volume should be set at, because mine is at -10 for no particular reason - is zero optimal ?
  • and as for the filters... i can't actually find where they are to adjust them (so maybe i can make it even lovelier, but i may never know)
overall impressions and enjoyment at 2 weeks in = absolutely a great purchase; i'm loving it :D
Filters = button FIR, 1-8 (default 3,
5 sounds good too). Check on your own.

scruffy1

thanks, i'll have to give that a go when i am next intent on sitting and listening for a big session

funnychap

The measurements would surely pick up that "higher treble", "lower highs", and "fuller low bass and mids" you are hearing.

You sound like a prime candidate for an ABX test.
I was in San Antonio and Austin this past weekend and I enjoyed the live music there.
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.

Last edited:

funnychap

The E70 is totally transparent to the source. If the Denafrips is totally transparent to the source, the signal exiting will be identical to the E70 (any differences well beyond the threshold of human hearing).

Give it your best shot and come back with alot of graphs and data to support any perceived differences you think you've discovered.
lol, I don't care about measurements, my ears tell me what sounds good.

funnychap

That's why I said it's ugly. Possibly, the only difference and the price, of course :)
You really need to tone down the negativity. Reread what I've already posted as improvements in the new Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary.

vco1

But none of you answered the most important question above: "Does it work better from a distance or from an acute angle?" I don't care much about remote weight but it's quite annoying targeting device to be able to change the source.
No, it doesn't. Which was quite a disappointment. It's basically the same el-cheapo remote in a more heavy and clunky case.

scruffy1

it's infra-red isn't it?

i don't know what miracles of transmission you expect from that sort of frequency, but you are likely going to be as disappointed with anything of that genre

vco1

it's infra-red isn't it?

i don't know what miracles of transmission you expect from that sort of frequency, but you are likely going to be as disappointed with anything of that genre
Well, over the years I had many, many remote controls that have substantial better performance than the Topping ones. All "in that genre" (i.e. IR). Just of better quality.

scruffy1

Well, over the years I had many, many remote controls that have substantial better performance than the Topping ones. All "in that genre" (i.e. IR). Just of better quality.
seems i have had nothing but shit ones previously then, as the topping is the best example i have used

if you want some major disappointment, you can come and try the nad d3020 remote... and i use the word "try" in the sense that it will be an attempt to have the nad respond to your implied wishes at a distance beyond a metre so, even if you have the aim of a sniper

Top Bottom