• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

vco1

Clunkier than your plastic TV remote which is 6 times bigger? What are you expecting in a $25 remote? You can tell all they did from the layout was transport the same guts to a metal case. It's always a case by case result for users, but for me, it's a great and inexpensive upgrade and works well.
Whoa! It sounds like you're the designer of this thing! ;-) It's not the size that makes it clunky. It's the fact that this RC is just a brick. With about the same weight too. Even for $25 it could have looked like what we consider a remote control in 2023.
Anyway, it does what it should do. Not better than the included RC. Not worse either.

scruffy1

maybe a project to eviscerate the topping provided one and transplant its entrails in a bespoke machined case ?

we all know that will make it work better, just like buying a denafrips will make your music sound better :)

aka_Z

Maybe problem is in IR receiver sensitivity on the E70. Would be nice if someone has universal remote, which works great with, for example TV, and test with Topping.

Btw, Nvidia Shield has a great controller. It uses BT, works from any angle, another room, including restroom :D Backlight is turning on when you pick it up and has a great feature used to find it if it's lost somewhere. Shield can make it beeping :)

Burns

Hi,
How does it count?
Which filter is safe and does not cut the bandwidth for all DSD?
Is number 3 enough?

Attachments

• dsd.jpg
    dsd.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 58

Burns

works from any angle, another room, including restroom :D
Don't forget to wipe. I have a universal IR remote. It is not an outstanding unit like Logitech, but it has a much greater range and operating angle. Works noticeably better than Topping. Topping must be aimed at the device. Maybe a poor quality diode, low power and angle

aka_Z

I had some time yesterday and decided to take apart the remote and see if anything can be done. There is a small hole under the battery cover, use a screwdriver to find a small clip to release the two pieces of the remote from each other. Once you see a gap use a (valid :D) credit card to gently go around and separate the remote.

As expected, nothing much to find inside. Simplest and cheapest as possible. However, by default the diode is quite inside, only the tip is visible and able to transmit. I made a hole a bit wider with a small Swiss knife, pushed the diode forward (pins are long enough), assembled everything back and now it's working better. Previously I had to get closer to be able to change the input. Now from the same distance, it's changing without problem. I still have to point remote towards the DAC, though.

Attachments

• Topping01.jpg
    Topping01.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 93
  • Topping02.jpg
    Topping02.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 90

rarewolf

[…]

I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't render Tidal.

Personality, no one’s yet put together a convincing argument as to why, and neither can I hear it when comparing it to streaming bitperfect PCM from my own library

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Personality, no one’s yet put together a convincing argument as to why, and neither can I hear it when comparing it to streaming bitperfect PCM from my own library
Lets leave it here before we descend into the MQA chaos quagmire and drive this thread off the topic cliff. Please and thank you so very much. Friends don’t let friends talk about M-A. It can’t be washed off. ;)

low_art

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping E70 stereo USB DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $349.
View attachment 243627
I really like the new white multi-segment display with its large volume level indicator. Response is excellent as you rotate the encoder. A select button on the left turns on the unit and then selects the input in sequence. Or you can use the included remote control:
View attachment 243628
Nice to see 12 volt trigger being a standard feature on new Topping products, allowing you to turn on one unit and have it turn on the others like amplifiers automatically.

The output can be programmed to be nominal 4 volts (default) or 5 volts. I focused on testing the former.

Edit: forgot to mention that you have independent control over the outputs. You can have either RCA or XLR active or both.

I had a minor compatibility issue with USB input defaulting to 16 bits instead of 24 bit as far as Windows is concerned. I was able to easily override this using Topping ASIO driver. I wonder if this is something to do with my system or a new thing with this DAC. Operation was otherwise flawless.

EDIT: above is fixed with a firmware update: https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/778017.html

Topping E70 Measurements
Let's start with our usual balanced output measurement:
View attachment 243629

I expect superb performance from Topping and that is exactly what we have, landing the E70 near the very top of the best DACs ever tested:
View attachment 243630

Distortion is incredibly low at -145 dB or so. SINAD as a result is dominated by the noise of the DAC combined with my analyzer:
View attachment 243632

Even using RCA outs we get full audible transparency:

View attachment 243633

I have modified my THD+N vs output level to show broader range:
View attachment 243634
As noted though, as you reduce output, the analyzer noise becomes more dominant as well so above is not a true picture of the DAC's performance.

Multitone performance is superb as expected:
View attachment 243635

Likewise for IMD distortion:
View attachment 243636

Linearity is perfect of course:
View attachment 243637

Jitter is now nicely handled across both older S/PDIF and new USB interfaces:
View attachment 243638

As usual you have a menu of DAC reconstruction filters but I suggest staying with default filter 3:
View attachment 243639
View attachment 243640

The excellent attenuation of the filter translates into great wide-band distortion+noise measurement vs frequency:

View attachment 243641

Conclusions
The E70 is another meticulously engineered DAC from Topping at a reasonable price. The bright and large display is great to read from far, making the DAC just as suitable for general 2-channel system as well as desktop. Nice add-ons such as trigger support, auto on/off, etc. complete the picture of a DAC approaching and essentially achieving perfection.

It is my pleasure to add Topping E70 DAC to my recommended list.
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I just received my E70 in the mail today. Unbelievable performance. I'm using it with a CCS-modded Stax SRM-T1S and a few different pair of Stax. It's so good that it's as if I'm truly hearing my music collection for the first time.

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bad luck, mine is working ever since.
Unfortunately I had a lot of these "bad lucks" with Topping and other hifi brands from China.

And I really mean it, I like devices I like the sound. But reliability is something that Topping must improve.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Did you try swapping cables to see if problem follows the cable?

Factory reset the E70?

There is a channel balance setting with the E70 but a factory reset should solve that.
Yup I did everything that I could.
There was something broken. You could hear faint crack click pops and noise in the left channel.

MadMaxx

Bought E70 for a try from Amazon.
One channel (left XLR) failed withing one day...

Another day same Topping. :facepalm:
Bad luck, mine is working ever since.
I've been at both ends of the spectrum. My E70V worked great until it dropped dead after 2 months. Apos replaced it no questions asked and the new one has been running smoothly. Already passed the 2 months mark, so I'm cautiously optimistic. If it fails again, I'll go SMSL.

aka_Z

Maybe depends of what kind of music is played :D
Unfortunately I had a lot of these "bad lucks" with Topping and other hifi brands from China.

And I really mean it, I like devices I like the sound. But reliability is something that Topping must improve.
I agree with you about improving reliability. I guess, reliability comes with price. If you have so many bad lucks, why you are still buying HiFi brands from China?

E70V is my second Topping. Previous was working for years but occasionally turning itself off. For some users, using headphones output, turning off was permanent. I was using only as DAC and line out. Now E70V in DAC mode only.

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Maybe depends of the kind of music is played

I agree with you about improving reliability. I guess, reliability comes with price. If you have so many bad lucks, why you are still buying HiFi brands from China?

E70V is my second Topping. Previous was working for years but occasionally turning itself off. For some users, using headphones output, turning off was permanent. I was using only as DAC and line out. Now E70V in DAC mode only.
Because many of them I'm still using without problems.
Maybe my heart is too good and I give them another chance and another;)

Also I really like Topping sound. I did some blind listening tests Topping vs some of the high-end stuff and I preferred Topping.
It was less harsh on top, still the difference was minute.but it was there, so to my ears it was just less distorted clearer sounding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom