• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

Adaboy4z

My quirks with the E70 are having to point the remote directly at it to operate and Bluetooth doesn't let go after you turn the unit off. You have to disconnect it from your device.

rupert3k

The E70 velvet is already available for pre-order from audiophonics (France).
With tax it's around 495€

fuckin mint!

PierreBCN

The 1.04 is for spdif / coax problems. TV...... not an upgrade.
I actually have a small issue with spdif input.

The auto-sensing function works. It turns on the E70 but no sound out. Nothing.

It is only after I manually turn it off and back on that sound comes out of the spdif input.

Have not tried coax to see if there is the same issue there.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It is only after I manually turn it off and back on that sound comes out of the spdif input.

The 1.04 Firmware is build to solve problems with dropouts. It will increase the PLL bandwidth to sync with the spdif /coax inputs. (the penalty is higher jitter so stay with the lowest possible bandwidth) Your actual problem has nothing to do with this setting, I guess. I will test the auto function later and share my observation.

BR52

The 1.04 Firmware is build to solve problems with dropouts. It will increase the PLL bandwidth to sync with the spdif /coax inputs. (the penalty is higher jitter so stay with the lowest possible bandwidth) Your actual problem has nothing to do with this setting, I guess. I will test the auto function later and share my observation.
After running USB (Roon stop playing) switching TV Opt on no action. For me not really a problem, I switch the inputs manually with the remote like I did it before with the predecessor. For that reason, I was not aware of it before your post.
Pls. ask the Topping customer service and let us know what they say.

Last edited:

BR52

It was my pleasure, hopefully I could help.

Fabio

Hi Folks! Asking help to decide between E70 or E70 velvet or really anything in this price range. Nowadays using the DAC section of Sabaj D5 and the second batch of DROP THX AAA 789 with Senn HD800 stock and really glad with this combo. Browsing ASR days ago and reading about the new DACs I´ve got the itch to upgrade and help the audio business keep going :facepalm:. I know most surely I´d not hear any difference, but the Bluetooth would be helpful for a casual listening, the big display would be nice, and that extra clean curves (jitter, distortion, etc) might have a very nice placebo effect... Alas I could recoup some cash selling the Sabaj D5.

So should I wait for a proper E70 Velvet review, pull the trigger now or should I save 100 USD and order E70 instead, or am I missing something more interesting in this price range?

Thanks people!

misterdog

I have the E70, used to have an M400 (old AK4499 chip) and would love to hear the E70 Velvet.
The design and functionality is gorgeous.

It's been sat in my basket for 2 weeks now £ 371 inclusive..

Fabio

I have the E70, used to have an M400 (old AK4499 chip) and would love to hear the E70 Velvet.
The design and functionality is gorgeous.

It's been sat in my basket for 2 weeks now £ 371 inclusive..

So did you do the sane choice and bought the E70 instead E70 Velvet?

misterdog

Only because the Velvet wasn't released until 2 weeks after the E70.

BR52

Hi Folks! Asking help to decide between E70 or E70 velvet or really anything in this price range. Nowadays using the DAC section of Sabaj D5 and the second batch of DROP THX AAA 789 with Senn HD800 stock and really glad with this combo. Browsing ASR days ago and reading about the new DACs I´ve got the itch to upgrade and help the audio business keep going :facepalm:. I know most surely I´d not hear any difference, but the Bluetooth would be helpful for a casual listening, the big display would be nice, and that extra clean curves (jitter, distortion, etc) might have a very nice placebo effect... Alas I could recoup some cash selling the Sabaj D5.

So should I wait for a proper E70 Velvet review, pull the trigger now or should I save 100 USD and order E70 instead, or am I missing something more interesting in this price range?

Thanks people!
Hi, measurement wise, the ESS seems a little better compared to the AKM. I have the ESS E70, I am really happy with it. Would not spend the 100 bucks more, see no reason.

Veri

Master Contributor
AKM is all about marketing these days, no :)

I mean even the AK4499EX is showing IMD hump.

Reactions: GPJ

MI55ION

I've been fortunate enough to test the D30Pro and the ESS E70 for side by side comparison, level matched but sited. Although both perform exceptionally well, I actually prefer the sound I'm getting from the older D30Pro. There's virtually no difference in terms of frequency response between the two, so I'm left wondering why I prefer one over the other. More puzzling, according to Amir's SINAD numbers, should I not favor the newer E70 or are they both so close or beyond the threshold of hearing that other contributing factors are at play? All very interesting!

rupert3k

Thanks people!
I'd personally pause till Amirim works his magic.
At least see what AK4499EXEQ brings to the table.

chillwig

The ESS 9028 Pro version notes suggest a 2015 release, and since then its been knocked off the flagship tier 8 channel by the 9038 Pro and 9039 Pro. It has a track record of quality and reliability.

So for $100 more you're getting AKM's newest flagship offering. Given the backstory of the AKM fire and the interesting new split processor design of the DAC, the $100 premium seems like it would be a bargain to anyone who cared about those things. just don't expect audible differences.

Adaboy4z

I wonder will they come out with a matching amplifier for the E70/L70 stack like SMSL with the A0200?

Bleib

Major Contributor

Adaboy4z

Top Bottom