• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Hello,
I would like to know how the volume control is done on the Topping E70 Velvet. Do I have to expect bit loss when I turn the volume down?

By the way, I'm currently using a Topping E30II DAC + L30II headphone amp. I bought these not least because of the good readings on Amir's site - thank you very much.
Please excuse my simplified english.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,
I would like to know how the volume control is done on the Topping E70 Velvet. Do I have to expect bit loss when I turn the volume down?

By the way, I'm currently using a Topping E30II DAC + L30II headphone amp. I bought these not least because of the good readings on Amir's site - thank you very much.
Please excuse my simplified english.
This can help.
best

Attachments

• digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 223

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Thanks BR52, I know similar papers, but I do not know how Topping is doing it with the E70 V. Digital Volume control can be made very well or not so well.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Many Thanks,
So I'm assuming the topping in the E70 V uses perfect volume control.

Additional question: I can operate my TOPPING E30II in preamp mode and control the volume with the remote control. Is it just as well solved with this model?

So far, for convenience, I've adjusted the volume using the player software on the computer, which I guess isn't that good.

BR52

Many Thanks,
So I'm assuming the topping in the E70 V uses perfect volume control.

Additional question: I can operate my TOPPING E30II in preamp mode and control the volume with the remote control. Is it just as well solved with this model?

So far, for convenience, I've adjusted the volume using the player software on the computer, which I guess isn't that good.
Did you see the price difference between the E70 and the E70V model? Measurement vise, I can not see really a difference
for me, the E70 looks a little better.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
No, I haven't looked at the prices yet.
I like it when AKM chips are used. This preference has developed in my mind over the decades.
I even think the E30II is excellent in terms of data and price.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Topping Purchase from Amazon Problem?

Hello! I posted this thread in the General Forum and thought it might be helpful to ask in this Forum. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

BR52

Just received this reply from Topping regarding the 1.04 firmware update, strangely still absent from their website.

E70 V1.04:
Add bandwidth setting in setup menu (B-5)
Customized settings from 5 to 15 (default: 5)
The larger the number is, the stronger the range to adapt to jitter, and the smaller the number, the better the performance against clock jitter.

Hello, is this firmware update for the E70 not for the E70V because I won't brick my E70? It's still not on their home page??????
Thanks, BR

misterdog

Hello, is this firmware update for the E70 not for the E70V because I won't brick my E70? It's still not on their home page??????
Thanks, BR

I had wondered that also. I'll shoot a message to Topping support and ask.
Should know tomorrow.

Last edited:

chillwig

Thanks, BR
I had wondered that also. I'll shoot a message to Topping support and ask.
I'm assuming the "V" in this context means "version" and not "Velvet" -- or am i misunderstanding the concern here?

BR52

I had wondered that also. I'll shoot a message to Topping support and as
It seems it's for E70 because it matches with a register set of the 9028pro. But is a little speculative.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 15-14-50 ES9028PRO_Datasheet_v3.6.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 15-14-50 ES9028PRO_Datasheet_v3.6.pdf.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 133

misterdog

Thanks, BR

Sorry, just re read your post.

The 1.04 firmware update is for the E70 ( ESS chip) I have installed it on mine and it's fine.

I have asked if it functions on the E70 Velvet (AKM chip). The prefix ( V ) on the firmware version causes confusion.

BR52

Toppings laissez-faire with documentation is not really helpful. We have well established rules in the technical world.
CE for example. If you print it on a box, you have to follow it.

Top Bottom