• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Miika

Does this new version use more power than the original E30 at 96khz 32bit and higher?

Last edited:

Saponetto

Despite of the datasheets, I was always convinced that the E30 Mk1 was quite power-hungry when doing its best, so imho this question is really an interesting one...

Artzox

Maybe a technically stupid question, but why does the spec sheet say 20hz-20khz? What about below 20hz, I have SVS which goes below 20.
My current DAC is spec-ed at 0hz-50khz.

Zamiel

The filters graph is wrong. The default is number 3. 1 sharp 2 slow 3 short sharp 4 short slow 5 super slow 6 low dispersion.
Look at the review of the e30 I for the correct graph

Last edited:

Artzox

The filters graph is wrong. The default is number 3. 1 sharp 2 slow 3 short sharp 4 short slow 5 super slow 6 low dispersion.
Look at the review of the e30 I for the correct graph
I will, but I am looking at the manufacturer's website specs where it says 20hz-20khz. Besides, I am more worried about the sub-bass than about anything above 20khz.I see one of the filters has no drop after 20khz.

Toku

Major Contributor
I thought E30 ll was a model without MQA playback mode.
However, in the HP product description, there is a sentence that makes you think that MQA playback is possible.
What does this mean? "Can anyone give me some advice?"

Attachments

• E30 ll MQA-2.png
    E30 ll MQA-2.png
    332.1 KB · Views: 138

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i got the following error message twice:

20220818_195509.jpg

Followed by err.

I have now found it in the manual, it says something about power supply. I have now taken another Samsung charger.

Last edited:

ronozer

I just received my Topping E30 II from Apos today, took ages and the tracking was poor. Now I have tried everything and it will not power up (2 different apple wal warts, one for iPhone one for iPad) and the USB from my receiver USB stick connection, no red dot. Wrote APOS for support, have pressed and held remote on button as my friend did for his, but he sees something on display when he plugs it in, I do not. Anyone else having issues?

Toku

Major Contributor
I just received my Topping E30 II from Apos today, took ages and the tracking was poor. Now I have tried everything and it will not power up (2 different apple wal warts, one for iPhone one for iPad) and the USB from my receiver USB stick connection, no red dot. Wrote APOS for support, have pressed and held remote on button as my friend did for his, but he sees something on display when he plugs it in, I do not. Anyone else having issues?
If you don't see a red dot, it's because it's not powered.
Are you using the included DC cable to connect to a 5V AC power adapter or a USB port on your PC?

ronozer

If you don't see a red dot, it's because it's not powered.
Are you using the included DC cable to connect to a 5V AC power adapter or a USB port on your PC?
Yes I’m using the power cord that came with it. I’ve plugged it into an iPhone ac power block, two kinds and it’s not powering on at all. No red dot.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes I’m using the power cord that came with it. I’ve plugged it into an iPhone ac power block, two kinds and it’s not powering on at all. No red dot.
If that happens, it is suspected that either the attached DC cable is disconnected or the E30 II itself is broken.
The E30 ll, which has just been released, may come up with various problems.

postscript
When the previous E30 was released, I bought it right away, but I encountered some troubles such as not being able to play DSD2.8, and immediately reported those symptoms to Topping.
They quickly addressed those issues. And sent me a new improved E30.

Last edited:

Shajirr

Does this version work on Windows 7?

Regular E30 had Win 7 drivers, for this one I have only seen Win 10/11

Jarrett

I believe all Topping use the same driver except for some very old (D30).

The LRND (from previous E30 newly invented little circuit cleaning up the 5V input power) might be the cause of these errors. If you put a 5V adaptor to it that is very "clean" by default, the LRND might find it "too clean" to work with properly. Try a "dirtier/cheaper" 5V supply to see if it powers properly.

Toku

Major Contributor
I believe all Topping use the same driver except for some very old (D30).
Yes, that's right.
All Topping products that use XMOS XU208/XU216 for USB input have the same driver. The latest is Ver 5.30.

Jarrett

The LRND (from previous E30 newly invented little circuit cleaning up the 5V input power) might be the cause of these errors. If you put a 5V adaptor to it that is very "clean" by default, the LRND might find it "too clean" to work with properly. Try a "dirtier/cheaper" 5V supply to see if it powers properly.

So it's something on the circuit? I wasn't sure if it was a software driver. The 2uv vs 1.5uv means nothing to me (E30 vs E30 II) and it sounds like they are trying to address a problem that may or may not exist (or perhaps to ease the customer's mind). Is LNRD some kind of innovation? I mean I read the marketing, yet it's still a mystery to me.

It would be real juicy if Topping implemented galvanic isolation across the line.

vuittion

I'm planning on using a Topping E30 II as a preamp to partner with a Rotel RB-1562 Poweramp. I read the original E30 wasn't that great when used in preamp mode. Is the Topping E30 II any better.

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm planning on using a Topping E30 II as a preamp to partner with a Rotel RB-1562 Poweramp. I read the original E30 wasn't that great when used in preamp mode. Is the Topping E30 II any better.
I liked the way the E30 worked, so I bought a total of three.
The E30 works very well in preamp mode when plugged directly into a power amp.
Some users consider the extremely small click noise that occurs when switching songs to be a problem, but I think it works perfectly. Compared to other DAC products, the E30 works perfectly and is an excellent DAC.
I also have two E50s, which are the higher end models of the E30s, and plan to purchase more E30 lls.
The E30 ll's COAX/OPT S/PDIF connections have been greatly improved over the E30, so I'd like to see how they work.

Top Bottom