• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Ashimaru

The charger in the photo is a product for quick charging and has a variable voltage output from 3.6V to 12V. I do not recommend using mobile chargers for fast charging like this. This is because if it malfunctions, a high voltage will be output and the E30 will break down.
I recommend using 5V or 5.5V fixed output types. I'm using an iPad charger that I no longer use.
does that mean the samsung charger I posted above also has a variable voltage from 5V to 9V?

staticV3

Master Contributor
does that mean the samsung charger I posted above also has a variable voltage from 5V to 9V?
Yes. A compatible Samsung device will trigger AFC charging on that power supply, which will make it switch to 9V output.

Toku

Major Contributor
So when used for Topping E30 it won't turn into 9V, right?
A product for quick charging like the one in the photo obtains charging information from the connected device and changes the output voltage.
DACs like the E30 are designed to be supplied with a fixed voltage of 5V. There is no function to provide information to the charger side like a mobile phone.
It is completely unknown if such a charger will behave like that when connected to the E30.
It may output the maximum voltage by mistake. Also, luckily, 5V may be output and it may work normally.
Since the operation is completely unknown, using such a fast charging adapter is dangerous and not recommended.

giordy

Roland68

Major Contributor
a suggestion ....
i would rate these power supplies from mean-well
in general they are used for medical applications, therefore excellent products at very low prices

This will hardly bring you any benefit, many SMPS for the medical field are even worse suited for audio applications. It's more about durability, protective mechanisms, voltage stability, insensitivity to external influences, efficiency, etc. Particularly low noise or ripple are quite unimportant because they are intercepted in the devices.

Mean Well has a couple of very good industrial power supplies as an open frame or in a perforated sheet metal housing with very good values, but you should only approach them with the necessary skills.
In Germany/EU you can often find very good power supplies for little money at remaining stock electronics dealers, e.g. Pollin.

But take a look at the filter module for SMPS wall warts from the DIY neighboring forum, that brings more than any new power supply.

giordy

This will hardly bring you any benefit, many SMPS for the medical field are even worse suited for audio applications.
yes of course ..... but I didn't talk about audible benefits, I just mentioned a well made small power supply at a good price.
its datasheet is very respectable if we consider that it is an object that costs a handful of dollars .....
always according to my opinion eh!

then as you rightly say .... with DIY and having the skills you can make excellent power supplies. :)

Toku

Major Contributor
In the past, when I was designing a system at work, I had adopted a product called medical use for non-medical purposes. The purpose of adoption is to gain more credibility.
There is not much difference in manufacturing quality between medical and general use. The price is not expensive either.
The biggest difference between medical and general use is the product quality inspection. In order to minimize any troubles, inspection standards are stricter than those for general use. In addition, some improvements may be added in anticipation of possible accidents. Using medical products for audio is never a negative. Reliable operation and connection bring more stable operation to your audio system.

Dac Visitor

For anyone who, for whatever reason, is looking for an upgrade for the really not bad E30 go for the Arcam irDAC. You will be done with the dac struggle. A brilliant sound stage, no listening fatigue, not analytic, but wonderful music. I don't understand how this fantastic product from Arcam has never caught the attention of our Amirm. Did a test with the Premare D30 ,E30 and the Arcam irDAC and I'm done with it. Hard to find the Arcam but now I know why!

Last edited:

Dac Visitor

Thanks .We have a saying "The grass is always greener on the other side" ,there will always be a better dac. I have found that better dac now all that remains is to find that most beautiful piece of music. There is no better dope than music dope.

Last edited:

Dac Visitor

On paper, the Premare D30 should sound better and this dac should also perform much better in terms of investment. I buy something if I like it. If the numbers indicate otherwise, so be it. If I interpret your quote correctly you have question marks about the quality of my hearing . I can tell you that your concern is unfounded. It's just taste.

Last edited:

Dac Visitor

Don't worry don't drink tea at this time. Only Sunday afternoon during a high tea.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I believe that there's thresholds to the human hearing abilities. I most certainly can't hear an ant fart on the opposite side of the planet, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to be sceptical when some people claim that they can hear things of that magnitude. Not saying that @Dac Visitor is making those kind of wild claims, but I've seen folks do it.

Most serious research seems to indicate that the thresholds for hearing differences in real world situations involving audio reproduction, are much less impressive than we'd like to think. I have no problem accepting that.

I also accept the fact that the mechanisms in my brain that make these circles move and change size, even though they actually don't do that, are also d¤¤king around with my auditory system. It's unavoidable:

rotating-circles-illusion.gif

If that makes me lost in space.. fine by me ;)

Top Bottom