• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

raif71

Major Contributor
1660432866957.png

Dac Visitor

On 11-08-2022 I managed to acquire a second-hand Arcam irDac as an upgrade for the E30. When I got home I connected and listened it was very disappointing. Flat soundstage, no depth, no music. As it turned out, the Dac was so new that it hadn't been played in yet and still had to burn in. Gradually it got better and better. Now i am so enthusiastic about the sound that I have decided to optimize the entire chain from laptop to speaker. Added an AUDIOPHONICS LPSU25 Linear Regulated Low Noise Power Supply for the Dac. At last an interlink Van Damme Silver series low Cap 55pF 0.5m- locking style RCA WBT-0144.
Will receive it next week and very curious if this will give an audible improvement.

MajorP

On 11-08-2022 I managed to acquire a second-hand Arcam irDac as an upgrade for the E30. When I got home I connected and listened it was very disappointing. Flat soundstage, no depth, no music. As it turned out, the Dac was so new that it hadn't been played in yet and still had to burn in. Gradually it got better and better. Now i am so enthusiastic about the sound that I have decided to optimize the entire chain from laptop to speaker. Added an AUDIOPHONICS LPSU25 Linear Regulated Low Noise Power Supply for the Dac. At last an interlink Van Damme Silver series low Cap 55pF 0.5m- locking style RCA WBT-0144.
Will receive it next week and very curious if this will give an audible improvement.
Smells like snake oil.

Dac Visitor

The reason for upgrade E30 . My B&W DM 7 (1978) equipped with (2020) new Viawave SRT-7 must be approached with vigilant hands. With the E30 it was sometimes a bit shrill in the highs and the lows had a tendency to fly out of the corner. This caused some listening fatigue. These symptoms have disappeared with the Arcam irDac. This treasure sounds amazing .

Dac Visitor

Smells like snake oil.
Snake oil hmmm. There is a lot of hassle around cables. I had old regular Monster cable between the speakers and amplifier. Did a listening test with the Supra ply 3.4s . The result was astonishing. If this is also snake oil then I am a big fan of this oil

DSJR

Major Contributor
The reason for upgrade E30 . My B&W DM 7 (1978) equipped with (2020) new Viawave SRT-7 must be approached with vigilant hands. With the E30 it was sometimes a bit shrill in the highs and the lows had a tendency to fly out of the corner. This caused some listening fatigue. These symptoms have disappeared with the Arcam irDac. This treasure sounds amazing .
Sorry to butt in on your audio journey, but the DM7's were not very good in themselves at the time and in comparison with their peers. With the E30, you're hearing them more as they really are (I sold the blasted things, or tried to back then, so it's first hand). A better pair of speakers may solve all your issues here, but it's NOT the dac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your samples are with that different tweeter on as in your avatar, who knows what they're doing now :facepalm:

I'll butt out now...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a lot of hassle around cables.
No, there isn't... The industry just makes it that way.
I had old regular Monster cable between the speakers and amplifier. Did a listening test with the Supra ply 3.4s . The result was astonishing. If this is also snake oil then I am a big fan of this oil
You can save so much money by actually doing controlled listening tests... Or believing in science...

Dac Visitor

Sorry to butt in on your audio journey, but the DM7's were not very good in themselves at the time and in comparison with their peers. With the E30, you're hearing them more as they really are (I sold the blasted things, or tried to back then, so it's first hand). A better pair of speakers may solve all your issues here, but it's NOT the dac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your samples are with that different tweeter on as in your avatar, who knows what they're doing now :facepalm:

I'll butt out now...
I bought these B&W's second hand in 1986 to replace a pair of Magnapan 1.6. Was not satisfied with the low and they could not withstand direct sunlight (UV radiation) At the end of 2019, the high broke on 1 of the speakers. To solve this problem I enlisted the help of a sound professor. We then opted for the ribbon tweeter from Viawave srt-7. The professor has designed a completely new crossover filter for this combi (at 2000Hz transfer). These speakers will always remain in the family.

Dac Visitor

While waiting for the RCA Interlink, a short story from my audio journey. At the time of realizing the Viawave's my sound professor suggested that I listen to a Denon PMA 735R he modified. My old Accuphase E 206 was no match for this Denon. It says Denon on the amp but due to the professor's modifications it is no longer Denon but a "Viany" the first name professor. To get my hands on the Denon, I have to give Accuphase to the professor and pay an additional 250 euros. Not a moment of regret.

Last edited:

Ashimaru

While waiting for the RCA Interlink, a short story from my audio journey. At the time of realizing the Viawave's my sound professor suggested that I listen to a Denon PMA 735R he modified. My old Accuphase E 206 was no match for this Denon. It says Denon on the amp but due to the professor's modifications it is no longer Denon but a "Viany" the first name professor. To get my hands on the Denon, I have to give Accuphase to the professor and pay an additional 250 euros. Not a moment of regret.
Good story. Convey my greetings to the professor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Sounds like that professor dude scammed you for at least £1000, probably more like £1500.

If @Dac Visitor is a troll account, I'll have to give credit for the creative approach :D

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, maybe he should visit the irDAC thread?
are your Viawave’s back lined with the lamb’s wool or the felt ?

Dac Visitor

Ja, misschien moet hij de irDAC-thread bezoeken?

is de rug van je Viawave bekleed met de lamswol of het vilt?
Mijn god wat ben ik blij met de muziek om mijn heen .Straks nog die RCA interlink kan niet wachten .Dan nog maar wat muziek heerlijk.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Mijn god wat ben ik blij met de muziek om mijn heen .Straks nog die RCA interlink kan niet wachten .Dan nog maar wat muziek heerlijk.
Please use English in future posts. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Translation: “My god I'm so happy with the music around me. Soon that RCA interlink can't wait. Then some great music.”

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please use English in future posts. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Translation: “My god I'm so happy with the music around me. Soon that RCA interlink can't wait. Then some great music.”
I typed my questions in English.

Not sure how DACDude quoted me in Dutch

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankenstein is the same in both languages :p

Dac Visitor

For anyone who feels a certain restlessness when reading my audio journey, listen to the song "Liberty" by "Anette Askvik" especially the sax at the end.
There is no better dope than audio dope.

Top Bottom