• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Dac Visitor

When you are done with Anette Askvik go to "Black Shoes" by "Felix Laband" after 3 minutes the magic starts.

RoccoS

Hi guys,

bought the E30 on Amazon as open box for 75 Euro. I installed the Topping USB drivers v5.30 on Win10 and deinstalled all previous usb dac drivers. The dac works and sounds great BUT in the windows device property settings i see no option for 768 khz! Only 16, 24 and 32 bit up to 384 khz.

Any ideas?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @RoccoS ! Welcome to ASR.
The Direct Sound/Wasapi Shared API that the default Windows audio pipeline uses maxes out at 384kHz. No matter the DAC, 384kHz is the highest you'll see there.
If you want to play 768kHz content, you have to use something like foobar2000 with the ASIO plugin.

PS: anything higher than 48kHz is pointless for audio consumption.

RoccoS

Hi @RoccoS ! Welcome to ASR.
The Direct Sound/Wasapi Shared API that the default Windows audio pipeline uses maxes out at 384kHz. No matter the DAC, 384kHz is the highest you'll see there.
If you want to play 768kHz content, you have to use something like foobar2000 with the ASIO plugin.

PS: anything higher than 48kHz is pointless for audio consumption.
Thank you for your fast reply and this is good news, so my unit is fine:). Not that i need the 768khz, just wanted to be sure...

So, best would be to set it to 48khz in the win-settings? What about the bitrate? 24 or 16 bit?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So, best would be to set it to 48khz in the win-settings? What about the bitrate? 24 or 16 bit?
Sample rate should be set to whatever your source content is at to avoid unnecessary sample rate conversion.
E.g. YouTube is 48k, Spotify is 44k

Bit depth should be set to the highest possible, as there's no downside to doing so and you can actually gain some SNR.

RoccoS

...as you speak of spotify. Today, with my wife's help I did some a/b blind testing between spotify (320kbs mp3) and amazon music hd using my fostex th900, the E30 and a Lake People G103. Unfortunately, i hear no difference. I'm 46 yrs. old. I hope it's due to my age and not due to my gear...:)

Veri

Master Contributor
...as you speak of spotify. Today, with my wife's help I did some a/b blind testing between spotify (320kbs mp3) and amazon music hd using my fostex th900, the E30 and a Lake People G103. Unfortunately, i hear no difference. I'm 46 yrs. old. I hope it's due to my age and not due to my gear...:)
Many of us here are content using max bitrate (320kbps or so) lossy streaming.. :)

RoccoS

Right now, I am powering the E30 with an amazon basics usb-charger. Is it worth in this case to get an iphone charger instead?

thx!

Toku

Major Contributor
Right now, I am powering the E30 with an amazon basics usb-charger. Is it worth in this case to get an iphone charger instead?

thx!
If there is no problem with the current charging adapter, please use it as it is.
The iPhone charging adapter is of good quality, but even if you replace it with it, the sound will not change.

Ashimaru

thx!

thx!
No. good phone charger will perform the same.

I measure huawei, nillkin, samsung, and apple charger on E30. No difference in measurement.

Georg1

Hello.
My topping e30 surprised me with the sampling rate of 192 PCM (kHz) under android as source. I was expecting android to resamble everything to 48kHz, and here is such a surprise. This is true both for the TV Box with Android and for the Samsung Note10 smart device. From the Neutron application with "direct usb access" enabled, it shows the correct sampling rate. Is it so in this model or maybe it is some kind of fault.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello.
My topping e30 surprised me with the sampling rate of 192 PCM (kHz) under android as source. I was expecting android to resamble everything to 48kHz, and here is such a surprise. This is true both for the TV Box with Android and for the Samsung Note10 smart device. From the Neutron application with "direct usb access" enabled, it shows the correct sampling rate. Is it so in this model or maybe it is some kind of fault.
Android implementations are not all the same. OEMs are able to change configuration for selecting sample rates as well as how accurate resampler is used, among other things.

Georg1

Android implementations are not all the same. OEMs are able to change configuration for selecting sample rates as well as how accurate resampler is used, among other things.
So I understand that android (7.1) in tv box Himedia Q5pro and android 12 in samsung actually resampling to 192 kHz and it is not a display error topping e30?

Top Bottom