• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

fireboy1968

Since I happened to buy one of the last original E30 before they went off the market I decided I can help but this to bed. Did I rush out to buy it because I thought Topping was going to do what Shitt did and change to and ESS Sabre chip. I am I the least bit upset that Topping actuary released an improved version soon after I bought mine. Not in the least because these DACs will always improve which is why I bought a cheap one in the first way. And I use it differently than most of you because it is my digital source in a full range stereo system and it is the best digital source I have ever used. Better than my old Arcam CD player. Better than my Marants CD6005 which got very good reviews at the time it was released. And when it is time for me to get a better DAC I will because I spent very little money on the first one.

Overseas

Major Contributor
How is E30 a 'source' and how can it be compared to cd players, except the DAC part? I do not understand, your E30 emits music by itself alone?

fireboy1968

To overseas. You do know that a CD player does not emit music on it's own it needs a CD but is still called a digital front end. So my topping is a digit front end in the same manner it just uses a lossless stream instead of a CD. And the fact that you felt the need to be confrontational is maybe just a bit rude. But the thing is that if I decide to I can be far more than rude

fireboy1968

And overseas if I don't see n apology tomorrow, I will let you know exactly what I think of you,

Overseas

Major Contributor
And overseas if I don't see n apology tomorrow, I will let you know exactly what I think of you,
Great, boss. Be whatever you like. Be water, my friend. Fight back to my technical questions. Count the hours to the deadline as you said 'tommorrow'.

Roland68

Major Contributor
To overseas. You do know that a CD player does not emit music on it's own it needs a CD but is still called a digital front end. So my topping is a digit front end in the same manner it just uses a lossless stream instead of a CD. And the fact that you felt the need to be confrontational is maybe just a bit rude. But the thing is that if I decide to I can be far more than rude
A DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is actually not a source device but just a D/A converter. It cannot be the first device in the system chain and is therefore not to be seen as the source.

Audio source devices include all devices that can play music, e.g. CD players, turntables, tape recorders, DAP, computers, etc. and of course all devices that receive music from external sources. And that doesn't just mean streamers, but also radio, satellite receivers and TV.

Of course, Veri is right, in some forums and at some dealers DACs are listed under source devices. There are very different reasons for this, but that doesn't make it any more correct.
And I don't mean that in a bad way at all.
Still, the E30 and E30 II are great devices.

fritobugger

Since I happened to buy one of the last original E30 before they went off the market I decided I can help but this to bed. Did I rush out to buy it because I thought Topping was going to do what Shitt did and change to and ESS Sabre chip. I am I the least bit upset that Topping actuary released an improved version soon after I bought mine. Not in the least because these DACs will always improve which is why I bought a cheap one in the first way. And I use it differently than most of you because it is my digital source in a full range stereo system and it is the best digital source I have ever used. Better than my old Arcam CD player. Better than my Marants CD6005 which got very good reviews at the time it was released. And when it is time for me to get a better DAC I will because I spent very little money on the first one.
Sounds similar to me. I use it as the link between the PC music server and the amplifier for the Revel F36 speakers.

fireboy1968

Ok since I can accept Roland68's point I will re-fraise mine. Digital playback needs both your DAC and a digit medium and I don't think it is important that with a CD player the CD goes inside it while with a USB DAC I have an iPhone upstream of my DAC. But what is important is that streaming Amazon music unlimited through the E30 gives be better sound than two very well revied CD players. As for the person who hides behind the name overseas read the post by Roland68 and see just how rude your post was in comparison and understand that you really just need to learn how to behave. And also I actually think that you are rude because you are just too stupid to make a reasoned argument in the manner Roland68 is able to.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Ok since I can accept Roland68's point I will re-fraise mine. Digital playback needs both your DAC and a digit medium and I don't think it is important that with a CD player the CD goes inside it while with a USB DAC I have an iPhone upstream of my DAC. But what is important is that streaming Amazon music unlimited through the E30 gives be better sound than two very well revied CD players.
There are big qualitative differences in CD players.
I would be interested in 2 points, which models are the CD players and is the sound different if you connect the E30 to the CD player?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Whatever, just calm down. Talking to the one 'hiding' behind 'fireboy' user. Just look for me next time you're in Kahul, Eastern Europe.

Ashimaru

I have phone charger from Aukey with 3.6V-6.5V = 3A. Would it be okay to use for E30 which requires 5V = 1A?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have phone charger from Aukey with 3.6V-6.5V = 3A. Would it be okay to use for E30 which requires 5V = 1A?
Is it center positive 5VDC like the Topping E30 requires? Is the dimension of the plug the same size?
index.php

Ashimaru

Is it center positive 5VDC like the Topping E30 requires? Is the dimension of the plug the same size?
index.php
mine is just a phone charger head. I will still use the DC cable from the topping. just confused by the description of 3.6v-6.5v on the charger

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's OK to use. The power supply will be loaded down when connected to a load and so they specified the output at varying loads is what it appears has been done. Is it switchable for voltage output or is it a one size fits all arrangement?

Ashimaru

Yes, it's OK to use. The power supply will be loaded down when connected to a load and so they specified the output at varying loads is what it appears has been done. Is it switchable for voltage output or is it a one size fits all arrangement?
Yea, its a one size fits all arrangement, no switch. Its look like this

Attachments

• 20220808_102519.jpg
    20220808_102519.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 73

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That thing has a 3.6VDC to 12VDC swing. I'm going to say no to using it with the topping DAC. I don't think a regular Topping power supply has that sort of swing. It looks like a cel tel rapid charger USB connector.

Ashimaru

That thing has a 3.6VDC to 12VDC swing. I'm going to say no to using it with the topping DAC. I don't think a regular Topping power supply has that sort of swing. It looks like a cel tel rapid charger USB connector.
oh well. I'll just use a regular 5V charger. Thank you for your help

Ashimaru

Then is this ok?
is this the same samsung charger also used by Amir?

Attachments

• 20220808_105818_HDR.jpg
    20220808_105818_HDR.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 87

Toku

Major Contributor
The charger in the photo is a product for quick charging and has a variable voltage output from 3.6V to 12V. I do not recommend using mobile chargers for fast charging like this. This is because if it malfunctions, a high voltage will be output and the E30 will break down.
I recommend using 5V or 5.5V fixed output types. I'm using an iPad charger that I no longer use.

Top Bottom