• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

MrBlitzpunk

Should be plenty. I'm guessing the 3.4A is shared between the four outputs. Does the strip make the noise even when the E30 is the only USB device plugged in? If that's the case, the 5v PSU in the strip is probably just a crappy design.
yea it still makes the noise, and it only happens with the E30 as far as i know. charging my phone etc through it doesnt make the noise. the sound appears only as soon as i plug the E30 in.

and yeah it's just a cheap 10$ power strip, pretty good for the money though

Majestyk

Oh also, i noticed that the E30 gets warm. Not warm, warm. But it's always ever so slightly warmer than room temperature even on standby. You know, when touching metal usually it feels cold? Not the case with the E30. I guess it still draws considerable power even when standby? It happens even with phone charger. I was under the impression that DAC shouldn't give off heat. But this is my first DAC so my reference is limited

Warmer than room temp is normal for the E30. Some DAC's get almost hot to the touch.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
good to know, my E30/L30 stacks is looking to be my long term (if possibly endgame) so i want to make sure that i took care of them as best as i could
I've been on the E30 as my endgame for almost a year now, but the E50 is causing a buying itch lol Better readings, and the MQA feature are relevant in my case (streaming Tidal).

pinyuszka

literally any 5v/1a thing works just fine. Maybe your issue is the cable?
The factory cable was faulty!
With an aftermarket cable it works perfectly with a phone charger!
Thank you for your help!;)

Attachments

• Névtelen.jpg
    Névtelen.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Névtelen2.jpg
    Névtelen2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70

biotronik

I opened up my E30 today, the display seemed too complicated for me to remove (it seems glued and screwed from within), so I just detached the display ribbon cable from the PCB using a long flat head screw driver. It can be a real pain to get it back in its socket later.

Here are some photos (you can zoom in).
Does anyone know the power ic component please, can't find it on the web with the code on it. Like others on the web it blew up without obvious reason and i'm trying to attempt a repair.

Asma

The factory cable was faulty!
I faced the same problem. my factory power cable was faulty. I made the power cable myself, I have experience in making cables.

Attachments

• Power Cable Dac.png
    Power Cable Dac.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 88

fritobugger

800mA might not be enough. 2 amps is fine but probably no better. Unlike voltage, the device will only draw the amount of current (amps) it needs.

Still on a power supply related thread. I finally figured out that the old SMSL P1 liner power supply I am using to power the E30 is rated at 600mA at DC5V. It seems to be fine but I have no idea since I am not measuring output just normal listening.

What would be the effect of not having enough amps on the E30? Would the output from the RCA to the amp be reduced?

your_eviltwin

Good afternoon.

Not sure if I should ask here or start a new thread.

This week I blow up my E30 by suptecting it to 15V instead of 5V. (I was setting up my PC after moving its location wen I accidently connected the DAC to the Amp Power.)

Can any one help my find a schematic or hi definition image of the board so that I can read the text of the component that I have highlighted in the attached image.

As of yet I am unable to afford a replacement so I am hoping I can just replace the transistor that has melted.

Thank you to all whom reply to this.

Attachments

• 20220114_161247.jpg
    20220114_161247.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 125

audiofun

Good afternoon.

Not sure if I should ask here or start a new thread.

This week I blow up my E30 by suptecting it to 15V instead of 5V. (I was setting up my PC after moving its location wen I accidently connected the DAC to the Amp Power.)

Can any one help my find a schematic or hi definition image of the board so that I can read the text of the component that I have highlighted in the attached image.

As of yet I am unable to afford a replacement so I am hoping I can just replace the transistor that has melted.

Thank you to all whom reply to this.
Y1. stands for SS8050 NPN PNP transistor Y1 Triode 40V SOT-23 SMD
used everywhere in Topping's design

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have suddenly started noticing issue with audible crackles and distortion when starting a YouTube video on my E30. I have the following setup, E30>SabajA10H>Edifier RT1280 speakers. The E30 is powered by a 5v power plug and plugged into my Mac on powered USB dongle. I have tried to isolate the issue by plugging the E30 to the USB on the MAC and the issue persists. Could it be possible that there is a ground loop issue causing this?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have suddenly started noticing issue with audible crackles and distortion when starting a YouTube video on my E30. I have the following setup, E30>SabajA10H>Edifier RT1280 speakers. The E30 is powered by a 5v power plug and plugged into my Mac on powered USB dongle. I have tried to isolate the issue by plugging the E30 to the USB on the MAC and the issue persists. Could it be possible that there is a ground loop issue causing this?
Hmm, I noticed audible crackles and distortion when using Tidals recently. Restart the app solved the problem. I think ground loop should be like humming sound and not crackles.

YouTube have been just fine for me. Did you reboot your MAC and the issue still persists?

My chain is Windows 10 laptop to E30 to L30.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, I noticed audible crackles and distortion when using Tidals recently. Restart the app solved the problem. I think ground loop should be like humming sound and not crackles.

YouTube have been just fine for me. Did you reboot your MAC and the issue still persists?

My chain is Windows 10 laptop to E30 to L30.
Yes, I rebooted the Mac, and it still persists. It's evident only on YouTube when playing a video, does not occur with Apple Music or Spotify. One thing I did not investigate is a different browser and if it occurs there. Currently, using Firefox and suspect that it is being a resource hog on YouTube, will test it out on Safari and see if it replicates.

EdTice

There are so many comments in this thread, so either many people will see mine or nobody will! I currently use an Echo Link (Not the Echo Link Amp) as a streamer and push the RCA output to an older Emotiva amp as my garage gym setup. I'm pretty happy with it. But looking at the E30, it seems for only $130, I could take TosLink from the Echo Link to the Topping and then to the Amp and get like 30 extra Sinad and that seems like a no-brainer. But since I'm a computer scientist who does some strength coaching and not an audio expert, I'm always looking for confirmation before I spend money on audio (even though I try to educate myself)

fritobugger

There are so many comments in this thread, so either many people will see mine or nobody will! I currently use an Echo Link (Not the Echo Link Amp) as a streamer and push the RCA output to an older Emotiva amp as my garage gym setup. I'm pretty happy with it. But looking at the E30, it seems for only $130, I could take TosLink from the Echo Link to the Topping and then to the Amp and get like 30 extra Sinad and that seems like a no-brainer. But since I'm a computer scientist who does some strength coaching and not an audio expert, I'm always looking for confirmation before I spend money on audio (even though I try to educate myself)

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there. I found one comment on ASR where putting a DAC similar to the E30 between the Link and the amp claimed improvement.

Be sure to get the recent version of the E30 so you don't have the polarity issues on the coax and optical of the earlier production units.

EdTice

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there. I found one comment on ASR where putting a DAC similar to the E30 between the Link and the amp claimed improvement.

Be sure to get the recent version of the E30 so you don't have the polarity issues on the coax and optical of the earlier production units.
How can I tell if the unit is a recent one other than listening and measurement equipment? Between the time I posted this and you replied, a member here listed on for sale for $100 and I bought it. If I don't hear audible improvement, I'll find other uses for it. But would be good to know if its worth trying again with a newer unit.

fritobugger

How can I tell if the unit is a recent one other than listening and measurement equipment? Between the time I posted this and you replied, a member here listed on for sale for $100 and I bought it. If I don't hear audible improvement, I'll find other uses for it. But would be good to know if its worth trying again with a newer unit.
The serial number on it shows when it was made. Search this thread for more info.

Top Bottom