• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping E30 DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
I immediately updated the firmware. I will report the result.

The test was performed by randomly switching the files from PCM44.1kHz to PCM768kHz and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5.

1. The previously reported problem of pop noise has been improved.

2. We have also improved the strange display on the display when switching songs. However, there are still times when the Err display momentarily appears.

3. In the middle of the test, when I switched between songs, the loud noise was played only once.

4. Playback on DSD 2.8 is not improved. This problem seems to require hardware improvement as Topping says.

I'm sorry for my alway poor English.

Add 1 point
5. When DSD is played after the factory reset of E30, the phenomenon that a loud noise is heard for a moment when the playback starts is not improved.
Would you demonstrate the last point where a loud noise is heard for a moment when playback starts? I think I missed it here.

According to the driver instruction, would like to suggest as follows:

1. the PC MUSS have the driver installed and worked,
2. to link the E30 to the PC WITH POWER ON first.

Not sure if this could be done.

Last edited:
I think I'm supposed to download the driver here first :

http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/379406.html

then proceed with the install.... it doesn't specify to use the USB but I assume so...

---

I downloaded and installed the driver from the link above first, then after that I proceeded to open the .exe file from the firmware ZIP file upgrade and everything worked fine. Cheers.

Last edited:

GPJ

Thank you John Yang for the FW update! However, and FTR, I am going to hold off on the update as my E30 has been functioning flawlessly. I've been using it regularly since I received it and it's working perfectly with everything I throw at it.

I have never had a DSD glitch ever.

I am a Foobar2K user and I'd like to make a suggestion. Please update the "foo_input_sacd" file inside the driver download packages for the E30 and D50s to version 1.2.2 (the latest). The old file was created in 2015. (The PDF DSD instructions will need an update too).

When using the new file instead of the older one, an entry will show up under Playback/Output/Devices that will show: DSD : ASIO : foo_dsd_asio, That will be the one to select instead of the ASIO : foo_dsd_asio device. (see thumbnails below). By doing this you can select DSD+PCM in the Tools/SACD section which will send DSD directly to the DAC (my E30, as well as Foobar, shows 2.82 DSD) and use PCM for the visuals such as Foo's awesome VU meters.

FooSet1.jpg FooSet2.jpg

VuShot.jpg

Last edited:

Toku

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, Topping is a reputable company who really concern about the customer.
Yes, Topping always responds to complaints from our users in good faith. So I love Topping.
Even if you have a problem with the product you purchased, Topping gives you a chance to solve the problem together.
Tomorrow, E30 with improved HW will arrive to me from Topping. I will try it out as soon as I receive it.