• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

lucadoc

I'll probably buy it in the following weeks and I'll don't connect it as usb dac but only optical: should I do the upgrade or the new products will have the latest firmware version?

the_brunx

I opened up my E30 today, the display seemed too complicated for me to remove (it seems glued and screwed from within), so I just detached the display ribbon cable from the PCB using a long flat head screw driver. It can be a real pain to get it back in its socket later.

Here are some photos (you can zoom in).

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 3,420
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6,596
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 4,543
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 4,968
Last edited:

Erez-C137

So regarding the "popping" issue is the bottom line to avoid the E30 if I want a DAC to connect to my active monitors (Adam T5V's)? Would the D50s be a better choice?

Thanks Topping for releasing such a great product. The popping noise didn't really bother me but I'm glad that there's a firmware fix that addresses it.

I have a bit of an odd issue that maybe @JohnYang1997 can help with. If I turn the E30 on BEFORE I turn the source audio (TV through optical), no sound comes out from the E30 until I power cycle it. Another thing is when the compressor on my refrigerator goes on or off, the E30 will stop playing sound. The display doesn't change at all, and will function normally when I power cycle it. I would consider these things a minor annoyance but overall I'm very happy with the product.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks Topping for releasing such a great product. The popping noise didn't really bother me but I'm glad that there's a firmware fix that addresses it.

I have a bit of an odd issue that maybe @JohnYang1997 can help with. If I turn the E30 on BEFORE I turn the source audio (TV through optical), no sound comes out from the E30 until I power cycle it. Another thing is when the compressor on my refrigerator goes on or off, the E30 will stop playing sound. The display doesn't change at all, and will function normally when I power cycle it. I would consider these things a minor annoyance but overall I'm very happy with the product.
I think it's interference from gnd or magnetic interference that messed with the DAC. Power cycling resets the DAC hence it will recover from it.

I think it's interference from gnd or magnetic interference that messed with the DAC. Power cycling resets the DAC hence it will recover from it.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Customer support is top notch! Anything I can do to mitigate? Do I have to be concerned about damage to the DAC?

Reactions: Sak

Toku

Major Contributor
I'll probably buy it in the following weeks and I'll don't connect it as usb dac but only optical: should I do the upgrade or the new products will have the latest firmware version?
The E30 that can be updated is only those whose serial number starts with 1910 or 1911. Please check the serial number when you receive the E30.

mshenay

The D10 still has a role to play as a great little USB to SPDIF converter.

Yea honestly I use D10 for exactly that and occasionally I'll actually run it as a DAC simply as a point of reference when reviewing other stuff, it seems tho this unit does kinda mitigate the need for any talk of the D30... Nice to see the hard data for it tho and get some confirmation of the Objective irrelevance of D10 and D30 as purely DACs given the specs for E30.

Sak

I did not notice strong difference between this two DAC's in sound. But, subjectively, when I connect my d10, music sounds a little brighter and lighter, high ones sounds a little longer felt, bass more elastic.
With E30, highs decay faster. But this is all subjective, and not the topic of discussion for this forum, only measurements))
In general, I like d10 more. But, if you need a remote control, then the e30 will be more convenient, imho.

photo_2020-04-24_21-18-26.jpg

Fawzay

Hi there i hope y'all staying safe. I encounter an issue on my part or probably my folly. Streaming Music via F2K, I have both my topping d50 and e30 connected my PC but no sound was directed to e30 dac instead d50s only direct sound option is available for the e30 dac. However, when i disconnect the d50 from USB then e30 comes to life. It seems it doesnt separates its driver according to its own except it join into one driver causing confusion internally. Btw is there a way, will i able to connect both dac so i can switch dac freely without keeping disconnecting from the usb?
thx :)

kkeretic

Hi there i hope y'all staying safe. I encounter an issue on my part or probably my folly. Streaming Music via F2K, I have both my topping d50 and e30 connected my PC but no sound was directed to e30 dac instead d50s only direct sound option is available for the e30 dac. However, when i disconnect the d50 from USB then e30 comes to life. It seems it doesnt separates its driver according to its own except it join into one driver causing confusion internally. Btw is there a way, will i able to connect both dac so i can switch dac freely without keeping disconnecting from the usb?
thx :)

I had a similar problem with the D50s and D70 connected at the same time. The D50s was selected in Topping Control Panel and it worked by default as default device when both of them were turned on. When I wanted to use the D70 I just turned off the D50s.

fosi

Thanks for your response. Altho it stil not clear for me in what cases does this pop occur, could you elaborate on that please???
Just don't worry about it..

So after all these posts it's still not clear to me in what cases does this pop sound occure.
Altho I listen to various bitrate flac's and 320kbps mp3's, should I be concerned?

facboy

Thanks for your response. Altho it stil not clear for me in what cases does this pop occur, could you elaborate on that please???

So after all these posts it's still not clear to me in what cases does this pop sound occure.
Altho I listen to various bitrate flac's and 320kbps mp3's, should I be concerned?

For me there was a small pop when stopping playback (as in stopping all sound) after about 3 seconds, and then when sound started again. Since the firmware update this pop doesn't happen at all.

I believe there is also a small pop when the DAC switches frequency. How are you listening though, are you using Windows? If so, are you using ASIO or WASAPI?

fosi

For me there was a small pop when stopping playback (as in stopping all sound) after about 3 seconds, and then when sound started again. Since the firmware update this pop doesn't happen at all.

I believe there is also a small pop when the DAC switches frequency. How are you listening though, are you using Windows? If so, are you using ASIO or WASAPI?

Im planning on buying the E30.
"I believe there is also a small pop when the DAC switches frequency." On kbps or khz change ????

Daverz

Major Contributor
Im planning on buying the E30.
"I believe there is also a small pop when the DAC switches frequency." On kbps or khz change ????

Sampling rate (kHz). Bit rate is irrelevant to the DAC.

Illtrick

I experienced it when hitting play/pause and more detrimentally between every track when playing via spotify connect using volumio. Recently (in the last week) the spotify connect plugin was upgraded to handle gapless playback. (big shout out to Ash for fixing that) The switch to gapless has entirely solved for the between tracks issue and I've since decided to keep my E30 and return my D50s.

Illtrick

I just went to do the firmware upgrade but before doing so scanned the drivers: http://www.tpdz.net/download

These might not be real threats (due to the nature of the application) but still give me pause. The firmware file was fine, just the driver (topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip) popped. I used a few other sites and local scanners and nothing found there so I'm going to chock it up to the nature of the tool.
1588117493769.png

Top Bottom