• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jarrett

Should everyone update? Is there any benefit outside of addressing that one issue?

Sak

Wish list for the E30: auto off of display
I agree. This feature is really lacking.
I wonder, if there is a technical possibility to implement this with the new firmware.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, does DSD 24.576 MHz (DSD512x48) play to E30 DAC?

Do you have HQPlayer to upsample 48k base rate music (48/96/192k music) to DSD 24.576 MHz?

Does it play?
You can play DSD512 on E30 without any problem.
I have prepared many DSD512 files for testing using a file converter.

Toku

Major Contributor
I wonder, if there is a technical possibility to implement this with the new firmware.
I think it can be done.
I think it can be achieved by changing the program of the MCU (Micro Control Unit) that I reported.
Let's request Topping together!

Music1969

Major Contributor
You can play DSD512 on E30 without any problem.
I have prepared many DSD512 files for testing using a file converter.

Hi, DSD512 = 22.5792 MHz

But my question is about DSD 24.576 MHz (DSD512x48)

For upsampling 48k base rate music (48/96/192k music)

Does DSD512x48k work with E30?

You can test with HQPlayer

Or even DSD256x48k = 12.288 MHz

Father O'Blivion

My unit (hehe, "unit") shipped with firmware version 1.06. So far it's been flawless and see no reason to apply firmware 1.07. It's only seen a couple hours of use at this point, and mostly playing PCM 24/96 with some 16/44.1 mixed in there via Qobuz. Will be trying some DSD of various flavors later. It takes some seriously critical listening to notice the difference between this and the only other external DAC I have (iFi Zen), and even then it's not massively "better" or anything, but different. More listening and variety of music may change my (subjective, I know) opinion about it.

Running it in DAC mode via USB to a MacBook Pro laptop then RCA to a Cambridge amp and Wharfedale Evo4 speakers and SVS SB2000 sub. Happy with the purchase for sure. I'd also speak very highly of the retailer, but new here and don't want to come across like I'm a shill for a hifi audio retailer, but this was my first purchase through them and they really exceeded expectations!

Again, really appreciate this forum and all the testing Amir does!

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, DSD512 = 22.5792 MHz

But my question is about DSD 24.576 MHz (DSD512x48)

For upsampling 48k base rate music (48/96/192k music)

Does DSD512x48k work with E30?

You can test with HQPlayer

Or even DSD256x48k = 12.288 MHz
I understand that DSD is based on SACD and specifies a magnification of x64 x128 x256 x512 x1024 based on 44.1kHz. I've never heard of a DSD signal based on 48kHz. The file converter software I use also has only a setting based on 44.1kHz. Even on the Hi-Res music sales site on the net, there is only DSD based on 44.1kHz.
Therefore, the file representation will be DSD64 = 2.822MHz, DSD128 = 5.645MHz, DSD256 = 11.29MHz, DSD512 = 22.58MHz, DSD1024 = 45.16MHz. Technically a DSD signal based on 48kHz is possible, but I don't have such a file. It is not handled in the Hi-Res market.

I do not use HQPlayer because it is very expensive. HQPlayer can convert up to DSD2048 on a 48kHz basis, but I can't verify it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've never heard of a DSD signal based on 48kHz.

Upsampling 48k based rates to 1bit 12.288 MHz is significantly lower CPU loading than to 11.2896 MHz.

So it's nothing to do with available music content.

So I just wanted to ask if DSD256x48 or DSD512x48 works with E30. Does it play music.

HQPlayer is free to try. It is fully featured for 30 minutes and then you can just restart the player again.

Can you test (for free)?

kkeretic

I would never again buy something whose screen cannot be completely turned off.

Marcel

IMG_20200430_075025 (Small).jpg

Very happy with my desktop sound! Did the FW upgrade even though I don't have any DSD files, so nothing to report there..

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the final situation with this dac. I've read all pages and i'm about to buy this from schenzen audio.
1- Is dsd playback okay?
2- No pop noise right ? (Dac mode max volume > amp > headphone)
3- Any usb noise issues ? How you guys powering this up ? I saw a review (soundnews) guy mentioning noisy usb power. (On the plus side for MKII, it sounds bloody amazing with any USB power source, E30 is more sensitive to dirty USB ports as it was my case and E30 sounded clearly better with an external power source.)
4- Dac will be close to my monitor, bookshelf speakers and wifi antenna. Is it ok ?
5- Can any experienced user with multiple dacs chime in and share his thoughts about subjective sound quality ?
6- Can we talk about filters. This dac comes with unusual filter setting if i get it right. Dont know what akm wanna achieve with that. It affects thdn negatively. What you guys think ?
7- I need amp too. Can we have more information about L30. What are the design goals, price target. I wanna stack it with e30. Release date ? I want L30 but i guess i will have to buy heresy.
8- Are these external dacs and amps comes with cables to connect them ? For pc we have usb, active speakers have cables, headphones have cables. I guess i only need cables to connect dac to amp. Is it included with dac or amp ?

Sorry for the sloppy writing im on phone.

Veri

Master Contributor
6- Can we talk about filters. This dac comes with unusual filter setting if i get it right. Dont know what akm wanna achieve with that. It affects thdn negatively. What you guys think ?
7- I need amp too. Can we have more information about L30. What are the design goals, price target. I wanna stack it with e30. Release date ? I want L30 but i guess i will have to buy heresy.
8- Are these external dacs and amps comes with cables to connect them ? For pc we have usb, active speakers have cables, headphones have cables. I guess i only need cables to connect dac to amp. Is it included with dac or amp ?
-The default is a bog standard linear phase sharp filter.
-L30 is finished and should start production sometime soon but who knows given corona situation, can take some time..
-No cables included, you need a set of RCA cables.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
SMSL Sanskrit 10th AK4493 Edition have similar performance and much lower price.
Please stop confusing the public; I'm in the market for a new DAC and I followed your advice by looking this SMSL up on Amazon. These two dacs don't compare if you look at the design quality and screen sizes. I won't even go into the audio performance.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Maybe you discovered their "Velvet sound" secret sauce ;). To be honest, I wouldn't be able to hear the differences at those frequencies.
I'm a giant fan of the Velvet Sound man. Those elegant ladies on the 'Velvet Sound' pages made me join the AKM government a long time ago :)

fosi

Heres what this guy said regarding powering it with USB etc.
""Power it with a dirty USB port, as it was in my case and depth will be polluted, offering a grainy sound with close to zero soundstage. Go with cleaner power and windows will open towards music, grain will disappear and depth information will become noticeable. ""

Have anyone experienced any problems regarding this????

MondoAudio

Please stop confusing the public; I'm in the market for a new DAC and I followed your advice by looking this SMSL up on Amazon. These two dacs don't compare if you look at the design quality and screen sizes. I won't even go into the audio performance.

According to @amirm, these two devices will compare very favourably from an audio performance standpoint. Aside from the multi-tonal test, they measured very similarly. And even with the multi-tonal test, it's unlikely that most listeners would be able to distinguish them.

I agree, though, that factors like display size and functionality, remote quality, etc., can play a significant factor in whether one person will be satisfied by a particular device.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a giant fan of the Velvet Sound man. Those elegant ladies on the 'Velvet Sound' pages made me join the AKM government a long time ago :)

Asian advertisements are full of those pretty models, particularly the alcohol industry

Morpheus85

Heres what this guy said regarding powering it with USB etc.
""Power it with a dirty USB port, as it was in my case and depth will be polluted, offering a grainy sound with close to zero soundstage. Go with cleaner power and windows will open towards music, grain will disappear and depth information will become noticeable. ""

Have anyone experienced any problems regarding this????
That means electricity via an external power supply?
sorry for my english.

Top Bottom