• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping E30 DAC Review

GPJ

I did the firmware update and thankfully no issues to report. My device was working flawlessly before the update.

I use the DAC solely for headphone use and have never had a pop that made me go WTF. What I do hear are barely perceptible blips. And they are infrequent. This DAC has been solid so far.

I have been back and forth with it and my D50s ...... They seem very much ALIKE.

Last edited:
I just went to do the firmware upgrade but before doing so scanned the drivers: http://www.tpdz.net/download

These might not be real threats (due to the nature of the application) but still give me pause. The firmware file was fine, just the driver (topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip) popped. I used a few other sites and local scanners and nothing found there so I'm going to chock it up to the nature of the tool.
1588117493769.png

For the record I did go ahead with the install, I've encountered things like this before and they've turned out to be false positives. It can be a burdon for small time developers to register their files as safe with every party known to man.

By default Windows uses Direct Sound when E30 is connected and Wasapi/Asio when the driver is installed (topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip) ????

Toku

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello all,
The improved E30 arrived from Topping yesterday and is now testing the operation.
The S / N of the E30 I purchased is 191173 ****, and the S / N of the E30 that I received from Topping this time is 191173 ****, which seems to be the product of the same production lot. The firmware version was the same as V1.06.

The test files were randomly switched using PCM44.1kHz to PCM768kHz and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5.

The test was first done with the firmware still at V1.06, then updated to V1.07 and retested. Below are the results so far.

1. Sound is frequently interrupted when playing DSD2.8
Completely improved.

2. Previously reported pop noise when stopping playback
It was improved.

3. Strange display when switching songs
It has been improved, but in rare cases, the Err display may appear for a moment.

4. When DSD is played after E30 is factory reset, a big pop noise occurs at the same time as the playback starts.
Not improved.

5. On rare occasions, when DSD is played after the PrE <> DAC switching operation, a large pop or noise occurs for a moment when the song starts playing.
Not improved.

6. In rare cases, when switching songs to PCM <> DSD, continuous noise is played at high volume.
Not improved.

7. It reacts to the remote controls of other companies.
It was improved.
Previously, the E30 also responded when operating the SMSL or SONY remote control nearby.

Although 1 was the biggest problem, it has been completely improved, and now you can purchase E30 with confidence. However, many ASR members have reported that the DSD2.8 problem has not occurred, and it is possible that the improved E30 is already on the market. Problems 3 to 6 in the back are minor defects, and I think they will be further improved in the future.

From the explanation of Topping so far, it seems that the problem of E30 this time is due to the program written in the MCU (Micro Control Unit).
The MCU is an IC that controls all the operations of the DAC. In the E30, STM8S005C6T6 from STMicro is used as the MCU.
The program is written in the EEPROM inside the MCU chip. I imagine that Topping rewrites the program by connecting a special tool to the board. Now you can understand what Topping said that if you send your E30 to China, we'll fix it and send it back immediately.

Attachments

GPJ

Sure sounds like a bad chip. My 1910 numbered DAC (apparently Oct 2019???) has been absolutely glitch free which should rule out bad code???

I did have a sound interruption a couple of times when using a TV remote (1056b03 used to control a Samsung TV) about less than 2 feet from the DAC. It was hard to replicate but I could do it after rapid button pressing. It was not consistently reproduced, no pattern to it. At no time did the display glitch, just a very brief interruption of audio.

Last edited:
I experienced it when hitting play/pause and more detrimentally between every track when playing via spotify connect using volumio. Recently (in the last week) the spotify connect plugin was upgraded to handle gapless playback. (big shout out to Ash for fixing that) The switch to gapless has entirely solved for the between tracks issue and I've since decided to keep my E30 and return my D50s.
I know this is not the forum for this question but did you subjectively prefer the E30 sound vs the d50s?

I know this is not the forum for this question but did you subjectively prefer the E30 sound vs the d50s?
I demo'd each for couple of weeks, swapping back and forth every day or so, and honestly if there's a sonic difference I wasn't able to tell for sure. Bottom line for me came down to the money savings and removal of a bluetooth behavior I disliked (always discoverable regardless of input source vs only discoverable when source selected). Wish list for the E30: auto off of display, standard usb power port (not barrel connector) so the threat of losing that wire is lower.

What does the auto power on & off setting do? It's not really explained in the manual.
It's effectively "standby" mode. When signal is present it powers on, after a delay without signal it powers off.

Has firmeware update also to be done in a linux environment? If so, is it possible to do with a linux or do i need to look for a windows machine? Thx.

Has firmeware update also to be done in a linux environment? If so, is it possible to do with a linux or do i need to look for a windows machine? Thx.
Windows only for the update.

I demo'd each for couple of weeks, swapping back and forth every day or so, and honestly if there's a sonic difference I wasn't able to tell for sure. Bottom line for me came down to the money savings and removal of a bluetooth behavior I disliked (always discoverable regardless of input source vs only discoverable when source selected). Wish list for the E30: auto off of display, standard usb power port (not barrel connector) so the threat of losing that wire is lower.
thanks. that's great then if a dac half the price subjectively sounds virtually identical. Already placed an order for the e30. I also sold my d50s previously because I found same-priced multibit dac more enjoyable even though they measure poorly. Now the E30 is cheap enough to keep around if I want something clean and precise.

thanks. that's great then if a dac half the price subjectively sounds virtually identical. Already placed an order for the e30. I also sold my d50s previously because I found same-priced multibit dac more enjoyable even though they measure poorly. Now the E30 is cheap enough to keep around if I want something clean and precise.
I personally think we're entering the maturity phase of the DAC product life cycle. Most all of the DACs made in the last 10 years won't measure up against what's being made for a fraction of the price this year or next year.