• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Megaken

What preamp are you using?

What preamp is everyone else reading this thread using?

Is it safe to leave the E30 on all the time, unmuted with auto hibernate disabled?
Mine is always on. Raspberry pi > e30 > marantz receiver. Everything is always on except receiver on standby so all I have to do is turn it on and press play.

Seang

Just wanted to say thanks for the reviews and comments. I took the plunge and got an E30 to see how it fared against my arcam irdac.

The irdac is now on eBay.

It’s incredible. And I loved the arcam a lot but what an upgrade.

Then I tried the E30 with my work laptop/pc. I knew something wasn’t right with the sound from my desktop setup but knew using the headphone jack was part of the issue.

Cue amazing sound from my laptop.So I ordered an D10s to go with that.

I’m using Amazon music hd and music is now sounding incredible everywhere.

I also recently bought some fidelio x2hr headphones and have now bought a second hand nx4.

I’m also selling my node 3 streamer as I’m using my iPad to feed the E30.

Loving the quality and price of this Topping gear.

Enjoy the weekend all!

Pawlakbest

Can someone help me with the firmware update please.. Website says there's firmware for 1910-2003. What's mine? Is that the serial on the sticker on the box? View attachment 163736

If so, is there no update for mine?

And how can I tell what firmware version mine already has? This is the driver app..

View attachment 163737

Thanks
Anyone knows what firmware v2.10 fixes? I'm still at v1.08 and I don't see any link to download v2.10 on Topping website. My s/n is 2008.

Toku

Major Contributor
Anyone knows what firmware v2.10 fixes? I'm still at v1.08 and I don't see any link to download v2.10 on Topping website. My s/n is 2008.
For the E30, the S/PDIF chip has been changed from AKM AK4118 to CIRRUS LOGIC CS8416, and the firmware has been changed accordingly. v2.10 is firmware for E30 using CS8416. The latest version of E30 firmware using AK4118 is v1.08. The firmware will be uploaded to HP only if something goes wrong. The new firmware for v2.10 has not been uploaded because there are no problems.
As a future note, even if v2.xx is uploaded, your E30 cannot be applied because the hardware is different. v1.XX can be applied to your E30.

dandreye

Hi All, wondering whether connecting 32-ohm Philips SHP9500 headphones that I normally use directly to the RCA output of E30 is OK, or at least safe for both devices? I recall seeing a response early in this thread that E30 won't burn from direct HP connection (IIRC their impedance was about the same), but if sound quality still suffers this way could anyone please explain in what ways exactly? The only nuisance I've come across so far is having to use RC to reduce the volume when playing DSD with Foobar2000 (my E30 has been in its default mode since new, i.e. pre-amp I suppose) as it's way too loud at zero attenuation.

P.S. I do realize that the SHP9500 is probably way not enough to enjoy E30 sound properly but it's a temporary setup anyway (decent speakers are in my holiday home far away), so I decided against any expensive HPs and even preferred them over the Fidelity X2HR (unlike some critics of the SHP9500 I don't lack the bass with them at all, at least with the type of music I usually listen to).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The E30 is not a headphone amp, so no, it's not okay to drive a 32 Ohm headphone.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood but what exactly goes or can go wrong?
Basically, you are heavily loading the output stage, which is not capable to deliver enough current, and will therefore get a voltage drop and massively raised distortion. Worst case: you break the DAC.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi All, wondering whether connecting 32-ohm Philips SHP9500 headphones that I normally use directly to the RCA output of E30 is OK, or at least safe for both devices? I recall seeing a response early in this thread that E30 won't burn from direct HP connection (IIRC their impedance was about the same), but if sound quality still suffers this way could anyone please explain in what ways exactly? The only nuisance I've come across so far is having to use RC to reduce the volume when playing DSD with Foobar2000 (my E30 has been in its default mode since new, i.e. pre-amp I suppose) as it's way too loud at zero attenuation.

P.S. I do realize that the SHP9500 is probably way not enough to enjoy E30 sound properly but it's a temporary setup anyway (decent speakers are in my holiday home far away), so I decided against any expensive HPs and even preferred them over the Fidelity X2HR (unlike some critics of the SHP9500 I don't lack the bass with them at all, at least with the type of music I usually listen to).
The line output of the E30 is a voltage output. It does not have the ability to power the headphones. Don't misunderstand that you can use it just because you hear a sound when you connect it by chance. The E30's line output circuit is crying and screaming.

dandreye

Got it - won't do that anymore then: thank you! Just hope it hasn't started breaking down yet. Sad I didn't know it before: I did the same with all my cheapo DACs bought before E30 and never thought I'm causing them any grief as they kept playing.

dandreye

Sorry one more related query then if I may: is it safe to connect E30 to Harman Kardon SoundSticks system? It also has a 3.5mm HP plug like the SHP9500 but is AC powered, so I suppose it has a built-in power amp and so shouldn't stress E30 out, right?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry one more related query then if I may: is it safe to connect E30 to Harman Kardon SoundSticks system? It also has a 3.5mm HP plug like the SHP9500 but is AC powered, so I suppose it has a built-in power amp and so shouldn't stress E30 out, right?
That should be no problem.

mk333

Hi,

My concern is that of the E30's power supply.

I've been plugging mine on my computer's USB 3.0 port for two weeks now. The E30's power input is supposed to be DC5V/1A.

Last night I tried using this USB charger with an output of 5.6V/2.5A for about 3 to 5 minutes, and then I turned it off and plugged it back to my computer.

Topping customer service replied to my email that the 5.6V I used is not allowed.

Have I somewhat damaged mine even for that short amount of time I used the 5.6V charger?

However, it is still working fine with no issues as I type.

Maybe the E30 has a built-in over-voltage protection.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect there is some kind of overvoltage protection on the PSU. 5.6V for a short amount of time is probably not a real issue, especially as you indicate that the unit is still working without issues. It would be another thing if you were to feed it with something like 20V.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi,

My concern is that of the E30's power supply.

I've been plugging mine on my computer's USB 3.0 port for two weeks now. The E30's power input is supposed to be DC5V/1A.

Last night I tried using this USB charger with an output of 5.6V/2.5A for about 3 to 5 minutes, and then I turned it off and plugged it back to my computer.

Topping customer service replied to my email that the 5.6V I used is not allowed.

Have I somewhat damaged mine even for that short amount of time I used the 5.6V charger?

However, it is still working fine with no issues as I type.

Maybe the E30 has a built-in over-voltage protection.
There should be no problem connecting 5.6V to the voltage of 5.0V. However, it is recommended not to use the quick charge type, which has a variable output voltage such as 5V > 9V > 20V, because it is dangerous. Please use a normal 5V constant output. Some people use mobile batteries, but mobile batteries are a very dirty power source.

pinyuszka

I recently bought an E30
I use it in DAC mode with USB connection.
I first connected the original non aftermarket iphone charger 5V/1A it worked fine for a while.
After disconnecting the power it no longer worked with the iphone charger nor the two samsung chargers.
Plugged into the usb port of my computer 3.0(900 mA=0.9A) or 2.0(500 mA=0.5A) worked perfectly but here I hear some noise.
Can anyone recommend me an external power supply that works properly without noise?

Attachments

• 20211126_093134_2.jpg
    20211126_093134_2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211126_092857_2.jpg
    20211126_092857_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113

Saponetto

It is not a good idea to use any fast-charge power adapters to feed DACs.
Their 9VDC boost surge is not healthy for any device powered to 5VDC...

Chagall

Forum Donor
I recently bought an E30
I use it in DAC mode with USB connection.
I first connected the original non aftermarket iphone charger 5V/1A it worked fine for a while.
After disconnecting the power it no longer worked with the iphone charger nor the two samsung chargers.
Plugged into the usb port of my computer 3.0(900 mA=0.9A) or 2.0(500 mA=0.5A) worked perfectly but here I hear some noise.
Can anyone recommend me an external power supply that works properly without noise?

Don't have any issues with samsung charger on E30. About a year now.

Asma

I have been using the Topping E30 with an Orico WHA-1U PSU for a year and a half now. Its characteristics are 5V/1A. There are no problems or noises, everything works well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Top Bottom