• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

manudrz

I just see that there is even an Opa1612 installed.
Thanks for your pictures!
Do you think I will be able to remove the backplate to get more place around i2s receiver ?
Do someone knows if it's doable to get balanced outputs on some pins of OPA1612 ?

UAN

Thanks for your pictures!
Do you think I will be able to remove the backplate to get more place around i2s receiver ?
Do someone knows if it's doable to get balanced outputs on some pins of OPA1612 ?

Attachments

• AK4493.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 382

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
As the arse-hole who started this it's important that I second the comment about the pop being null if using a preamp. For minority of users who would encounter this the average listener the pop wouldn't matter, for the neurotic fellows on this forum (myself obviously included) it's noticable.

I appreciate the "arse-hole"-POP-alert since I was thinking about using the E30 exactly as advertised below:

apos-audio-topping-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-topping-e30-dac-digital-to-analog-convertor-14326860218442_800x.jpg

Zek

Major Contributor
Does pop sound only occur on PCM files or does it occur on DSD files as well?

manudrz

Yeah, thanks UAN I know this DS. So there is only one double OPA in this Topping for both unbal RCA outputs . I guess it would be doable to get balanced outs between the LPF filter and the OPA. What's the last component, a buffer ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's a small pop.... even with power amp. There will not be a pop when using preamp or headphone amp. If you still care about this. Only way you are getting away with this is to use ASRC, like the one in ESS chips.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah, thanks UAN I know this DS. So there is only one double OPA in this Topping for both unbal RCA outputs . I guess it would be doable to get balanced outs between the LPF filter and the OPA. What's the last component, a buffer ?
Analog switch.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What’s the use of having a volume control if you can’t/shouldn’t use it if you don’t want to have any pops?
just curious
It's totally acceptable for majority of people. The analog switch is just for that automute function. Idk why people acting like this is the end of the world. It's genuinely a small pop that you wouldn't normally notice....

nirschl

It's totally acceptable for majority of people. The analog switch is just for that automute function. Idk why people acting like this is the end of the world. It's genuinely a small pop that you wouldn't normally notice....
I agree about the "pop." Currently using the DX3 Pro for my desk set up with monitors and HD600's and the little pop when switching has never bothered me. The unit has been flawless thus far. Also have the D10 integrated in my vehicle. No pop there...
Fantastic units for the small price to pay.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

Hi JohnYang1997,
It's great to have your technical insights into this and other Topping products. I thought from the original post flagging this "small pop" (when the E30 is connected directly to the power amp) that the pop is heard between *all* tracks, not just when a sample rate change is made or the E30's volume control is adjusted. Did I misunderstand? If it's heard between all tracks, I think it could become bothersome, especially if you listen to something like opera with dozens of tracks, where you absolutely need gapless playback. Thanks for clarifying this.

nirschl

Okay, this time again, trouble has occurred.
ASR only provides us with static measurement data. The actual product evaluation starts after you get the product.
I don't know how much pop noise was reported, but human judgment is mixed. Previously, there was a post saying that the operation sound of the relay was noisy. But it was a very small sound to me. . .
But from my experience. As you post more and more of the issues you discover, Topping will announce a firmware update.

The biggest problem for me now is whether the ordered E30 arrives safely in Japan. The SMSL DA-8s I ordered from Shenzhenaudio Store went missing at a Chinese airport. It is still unknown after one month.

Did you order through Amazon JP? I also live in Japan and am considering ordering the E30. Yoroshiku!

Hello. Total newcomer to this board. First post. The Topping e30 has arrived. Not bad in less than 5 days from China. Initial impression right out of the box via a quality Radio Paradise feed is its clear and insightful. Appears at this premature early juncture to be super linear across the sound spectrum, top to bottom with almost no midrange or bass emphasis.

Hopefully the mid and deep bass will improve. Right out of the box it is most certainly not a warm sounding unit at all, crystal clear in fact. Whether that makes long term listenability and ownership a problem, only time will tell. My system skews warm so this may work great...or not.

It also has 6 selectable filters.....but we are out of AAA batteries for the remote in quarantined ny so i can't test those out, and don't know what setting its on now....

Will try it with audivarna and my media and update soon....

FYI using it powered by usb on my CPU, with data via Entry level AQ Green USB Cord, and long runs of inexpensive "KNU KONCEPTZ: IC cables to my system on the other side of a small room.

So lots of burn in and experimentation to follow such:
  • Powered via a battery or wall wart of IFI type PS outside of cpu chain
  • Switch the long run of Analog IC to long run of usb from computer to dac (doubt this will improve anything)
  • Different Filters
  • Check and see if i have any DSD media

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
- burn-in is a myth. it's you getting used to sound.
- AQ USB cable will not do a thing over normal one
- iFi's wall warts will not increase performance ...
- filter effect will be very subtle

gvl

Major Contributor
It's a small pop.... even with power amp. There will not be a pop when using preamp or headphone amp. If you still care about this. Only way you are getting away with this is to use ASRC, like the one in ESS chips.

Does the pop happen when changing sampling rates or always? Say I connect a CD-player to the E30, will it pop between tracks when playing a CD?

gvl

Major Contributor
- filter effect will be very subtle

My unscientific impression, for what its worth, the AKM filters are more discernible than the ESS ones. I just can't hear any differences between them on recent ESS DACs, but the linear phase on the DX3 Pro seems to be noticeably sharper sounding than some others.

Veri

Master Contributor
My unscientific impression, for what its worth, the AKM filters are more discernible than the ESS ones. I just can't hear any differences between them on recent ESS DACs, but the linear phase on the DX3 Pro seems to be noticeably sharper sounding than some others.
I don't know, couldn't discern any difference on my DX3 myself. So I left it on default. On ESS I feel like I prefer the minimum slow filter but could be just random. If someone changed the filter I really wouldn't notice.. lol

Toku

Major Contributor
Did you order through Amazon JP? I also live in Japan and am considering ordering the E30. Yoroshiku!
I ordered from the following shop on Amazon.jp.
If you visit the store for a delivery delay issue before placing an order, you promised to ship by FedEx.
It will still be delivered tomorrow, April 3, two days behind the default number of days.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0863LYBCT?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

One month has passed since SMSL DS-8s ordered from AliExpress Shenzhen Audio, but the tracking number of the package has become invalid in China and it is unknown. I have ordered other products from AliExpress, but I have been lost as well and cannot track my package. You should avoid ordering AliExpress for now.

Last edited:

Morpheus85

I ordered my E30 from Aliexpress. Shipped by Shenzhen Audio and arrived after 5 days with DHL Express.

Toku

Major Contributor
I ordered my E30 from Aliexpress. Shipped by Shenzhen Audio and arrived after 5 days with DHL Express.
Carriers can choose DHL for orders from Japan, but will cost $5~$20 extra. Did you pay extra?

Last edited:
Top Bottom