• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Toku

Major Contributor
E30 (Black) has arrived from China today and is undergoing an operation test immediately. I expected the sound quality from the measurement results by amirm, but it is better than I imagined.
The pop noise when switching songs reported by ASR is quite normal even when compared to the DX3Pro D50s M500. I use PCM 44.1kHz ~ 768kHz 16/24 / 32bit and DSD64 ~ DSD512 files for the test, and switch at random while playing the song. There is no problem so far. I use the Apple iPad power supply.

Daverz

Major Contributor
E30 (Black) has arrived from China today and is undergoing an operation test immediately. I expected the sound quality from the measurement results by amirm, but it is better than I imagined.
The pop noise when switching songs reported by ASR is quite normal even when compared to the DX3Pro D50s M500. I use PCM 44.1kHz ~ 768kHz 16/24 / 32bit and DSD64 ~ DSD512 files for the test, and switch at random while playing the song. There is no problem so far. I use the Apple iPad power supply.

I'm not sure I understand the nature of the pop. Is it actually a pop between tracks as they automatically play from a playlist? A pop when selecting a track manually? Only when the sample rate changes?

I've never had a DAC that emitted a pop in between tracks when playing PCM files of the same sample rate. DSD always has a slight pop in between tracks, but that seems to be the nature of DSD.

I guess I'll find out, as my E30 is on the way.

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I understand the nature of the pop. Is it actually a pop between tracks as they automatically play from a playlist? A pop when selecting a track manually? Only when the sample rate changes?

I've never had a DAC that emitted a pop in between tracks when playing PCM files of the same sample rate. DSD always has a slight pop in between tracks, but that seems to be the nature of DSD.

I guess I'll find out, as my E30 is on the way.
No pop noise (pulse noise) in every case you describe. (But there are very small ones.)

Unfortunately, I immediately found the problem with the E30.
When I play a DSD2.8 file, the sound is interrupted randomly. The same symptom occurred on the SMSL M500 when the sale began. I think it can probably be improved by updating the firmware.

I was an electronics design engineer before. Therefore, in order to evaluate these products rigorously, I use the following tools to create test music files.
https://samplerateconverter.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: UAN

Toku

Major Contributor
You mean the veil was lifted higher or it sounds more organic than expected?
The evaluation of sound is very subjective and difficult to express. And I don't think it fits into the ASR Forum concept.
What I can say right now is that if you have an E30, you don't have to have the D50s and DX3Pro you are currently using. Cheap! Sound is good! The making is polite! I think the E30 is an excellent product.
I will report any other things I noticed or found.

gvl

Major Contributor
The evaluation of sound is very subjective and difficult to express.

I was just teasing. The slight pops you detect, can you please describe when they happen?

todd141

I ordered from apos, they upgraded my shipping for free, got it very, very quickly from China. The box even included alcohol wipes to wipe everything off because of the virus!

I have mine in DAC only mode, do the filters really do much?

Jarrett

I ordered from apos, they upgraded my shipping for free, got it very, very quickly from China. The box even included alcohol wipes to wipe everything off because of the virus!

I have mine in DAC only mode, do the filters really do much?

China to where? I ordered from DILVSHI at Amazon.ca on March 24. Tracking doesn't say it's even arrived in Canada yet. Amazon gives a April 15 - May 5 shipping range. I'm kind of annoyed after seeing many members receive theirs.

Last edited:

poimandres

Alcohol wipes in the e30 box? I’ll have to check, I finally freed it from the dhl packaging today but haven’t opened the box yet. Received mine on Monday.

Jstutman

Forum Donor
Alcohol wipes in the e30 box? I’ll have to check, I finally freed it from the dhl packaging today but haven’t opened the box yet. Received mine on Monday.

our Shenzhen facility has implemented multiple check-points to ensure the health and safety of our staff. No staff has had any contact with the virus, but we’ve created and implemented a quarantine area on-site. All areas are being sanitized and the staff is required to wear masks and other protective gear while processing any orders. Furthermore, we’ve also included an additional step of disinfectant spray on all shipments before courier pickup.

Out of an abundance of caution, we will also be including one-time disinfectant wipes in all shipments starting Monday, March 30. We understand that shipments go through many contact points, and the wipes are for you to use as an additional safeguard should you feel the need to do so.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

You should really be more worried about the DHL box if you're worried about germs.

Toku

Major Contributor
FTR, I have no interruptions playing personally ripped DSF files 2.82 in Foobar (reports DSD64 @ 2822400 Hz) . Flawless playback of all my DSF files.

Also I get no pops at all between tracks with DSF files. Just very lightning quick faint bits of what sounds like static between tracks that is nearly un-noticeable. I've heard them on every device I've used my DSF files. Remnants of the ripping process and far from deal breaking, these are embedded in the tracks.

Gapless is working fine too with FLAC in Foobar. No issues detected yet with ripped CD's.

The E30 is incredibly transparent. Great job by Topping!
Your information will be very helpful.

Yesterday after the product arrived, I played DSD2.8 (DSD64) continuously, but after one night, it suddenly started playing normally.
We did a factory reset several times, but the playback environment hasn't changed since the goods arrived.

I have been investigating the E30 continuously, but it turned out that the operation of the remote control became unstable when I played DSD2.8 today. The remote control works normally except for DSD2.8 playback. There are three other Topping remote controls, but they all work the same. This is a very strange phenomenon.
The sound quality is very clean and wonderful as you say.

Postscript
Unfortunately, sometimes the symptoms still occur.

Last edited:

poimandres

Never said I was worried about germs. Found it odd that wipes may be in the box!

It seems Amir tested by plugging both usb cables into the pc. Does it matter if this method is used or if a 120V-usb charger is used?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Never said I was worried about germs. Found it odd that wipes may be in the box!

It seems Amir tested by plugging both usb cables into the pc. Does it matter if this method is used or if a 120V-usb charger is used?
Using an adaptor is a more regular/normal scenario.

Toku

Major Contributor
Now we need the latest attention to the coronavirus.
I opened the package outdoors and brought only the E30 box indoors. But I haven't disinfected the E30 alcohol.
Of course I thoroughly washed my hands with detergent after opening the package.

Top Bottom