• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok thanks. So with the volume on the amp max and no change in volume on the dac there should be no pop? Not that I think I would ever need to be at max.

With the dac volume at max, utilizing the amp’s pot for volume control there would be no pop as well?
Hmm. Use the volume pot on the amp. It attenuates the pop along with the music that's how that works. If the volume on the dac is used, the pop is "essentially at max volume" regardless of the volume settings because the pop happens after the volume control.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The DX3Pro is AK based right? I hooked up my DX3Pro ldac version with the following chain

RPI4B running piCorePlayer 6.0 ----USB----> DX3Pro ----RCA----> Bryston 3B-SST power amp

DX3Pro is in line-out mode, I have the Bryston set to 2V sensitivity. I hear no pops on track changing, muting, track forward, etc.

As for it not happening with a pre-amp, this is ASR, where the consensus is that pre-amps are passé.
2V sensitivity sounds quite low to me. That's the gain is quite low at that settings hence the pop is not amplified as much. You may still hear if you are close to the speakers. But that's just a guess.

Daverz

Major Contributor
2V sensitivity sounds quite low to me. That's the gain is quite low at that settings hence the pop is not amplified as much. You may still hear if you are close to the speakers. But that's just a guess.

OK, I can hear it if I put my ear to the tweeter and toggle the mute button on the D3XPro remote. I can't hear it 2 meters away (Buchardt S400 speakers).

Toku

Major Contributor
Okay, this time again, trouble has occurred.
ASR only provides us with static measurement data. The actual product evaluation starts after you get the product.
I don't know how much pop noise was reported, but human judgment is mixed. Previously, there was a post saying that the operation sound of the relay was noisy. But it was a very small sound to me. . .
But from my experience. As you post more and more of the issues you discover, Topping will announce a firmware update.

The biggest problem for me now is whether the ordered E30 arrives safely in Japan. The SMSL DA-8s I ordered from Shenzhenaudio Store went missing at a Chinese airport. It is still unknown after one month.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I tried another test of the DX3Pro by making an album of 1 second silent flac files, playing them back on repeat, and listening with my ear at the tweeter. The result was not what I was expecting: several seconds of hiss interrupted by brief silences. No clicking or popping. The hiss goes away if you turn down the digital volume on the DX3Pro (so is it must have some gain from the line out?).

So I'm expecting the E30 to be fine. I'm assuming it's not that different from the DX3Pro, just no headphone amp or bluetooth. BTW, the reason I'm not using the DX3Pro in my speaker system permanently is that I want to use it for late night TV and squeezebox listening with headphones in another room.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the pops are an AK thing, maybe a dedicated thread is in order? Is this the reason for the pop issue we puzzled over in the PW Link review thread?

simons700

no is not working. E30 has a automatic standby function. no signal from USB or coax the E30 goes to standby. comes a signal from USB E30 wake up.
o realy?
Thats even better!
Does it work for Toslink as well?
So the way it works is that i can leave it in Standby all day and when a Signal comes from my Chromecast for example it turns it self on automatically?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
o realy?
Thats even better!
Does it work for Toslink as well?
So the way it works is that i can leave it in Standby all day and when a Signal comes from my Chromecast for example it turns it self on automatically?
Yes.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If the pops are an AK thing, maybe a dedicated thread is in order? Is this the reason for the pop issue we puzzled over in the PW Link review thread?
It's not just an AK thing. Many delta sigma dacs needs the output to be muted while switching sample rate otherwise a huge pop. Cs4398 also needs such circuit. It's just that it's rare to see cs4398 based DAC around but AK's and people now starting to connect DAC directly to power amp. Hence the issue. The pop sound we hear is already muted. Otherwise it will definitely blow a tweeter.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
E30 has a automatic standby function. no signal from USB or coax the E30 goes to standby. comes a signal from USB E30 wake up.

At least for USB, that requires a little bit of qualification. Whether there's any data flowing through the USB connection is irrelevant. The E30 goes into standby mode if and only if there's no power to the USB line.

I have mine hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, which stays up 24/7. Consequently, the E30 never goes into standby mode. I can, at the commandline, turn off power to the USB port into which the E30 is plugged. That causes the E30 to go into standby mode (after a minute). Turning the power to the port back on causes the E30 to wake up.

But, no, merely having no music playing has zero effect.

simons700

Ok so when you have it in Toslink mode it turns off when the light goes out and turns back on again when the light comes back right?
That would be fantastic!

Morpheus85

This is difficult. The board cannot be completely removed. The display is glued and stuck on the board.

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-31_12-56-31.jpg
    photo_2020-03-31_12-56-31.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 1,484
  • photo_2020-03-31_12-56-34.jpg
    photo_2020-03-31_12-56-34.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,274
  • photo_2020-03-31_12-56-37.jpg
    photo_2020-03-31_12-56-37.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,198

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not just an AK thing. Many delta sigma dacs needs the output to be muted while switching sample rate otherwise a huge pop. Cs4398 also needs such circuit. It's just that it's rare to see cs4398 based DAC around but AK's and people now starting to connect DAC directly to power amp. Hence the issue. The pop sound we hear is already muted. Otherwise it will definitely blow a tweeter.
With the PW Link the problem is not just with change in sample rate. The worst case I had was with a dropout in my internet streaming service, and when the service resumed I got a nasty pop where I worried about my tweeters. So I wonder if somehow the E30 would handle this better than the internal DAC in the PW Link. I guess I should just buy the E30 and play with it.

Morpheus85

I just see that there is even an Opa1612 installed.

Attachments

• opa1612.PNG
    opa1612.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,541

Pavano

Hmm. Use the volume pot on the amp. It attenuates the pop along with the music that's how that works. If the volume on the dac is used, the pop is "essentially at max volume" regardless of the volume settings because the pop happens after the volume control.
What’s the use of having a volume control if you can’t/shouldn’t use it if you don’t want to have any pops?
just curious

Top Bottom