• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was expecting a different type of your response to my customer feedback and findings.
So I should say, thanks for the kind and detailed feedback. We are going to carefully consider your request and hopefully 48khz dsd playback will be supported in newer models and be supported via firmware update.

That's what you want right? No, this is ASR and this is ME. We are no BS. If MQA is shit I say so regardless of we selling D90 MQA version. If upsampling does nothing good I'll say so too. 48KHz is non standard DSD format and it may not be supported. The benefits/degradation from upsampling can be easily measured unlike MQA. So you guys are less of a victim than people who demands MQA. Recommendation is just use source format. This is ASR, I'll share the truth and expect people around here being logical and can face the reality.

bogi

So I should say, thanks for the kind and detailed feedback. We are going to carefully consider your request and hopefully 48khz dsd playback will be supported in newer models and be supported via firmware update.

That's what you want right?
Yes. Better for company than to fight with customers is to get more customers. It would be only an additional feature.
Otherwise I respect your personal opinion. Different people have often different opinion on the same thing.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are many DSD capable DACs which correctly play 48k based DSD content
Where on Earth does such content originate? I strongly question the legitimacy of 48kHz based DSD. While I no longer have access to the relevant Scarlet Book documentation to prove it, I get the strong feeling that this is just a frankenformat.

The fact that one can create a format is no justification for doing so.

bogi

Where on Earth does such content originate? I strongly question the legitimacy of 48kHz based DSD. While I no longer have access to the relevant Scarlet Book documentation to prove it, I get the strong feeling that this is just a frankenformat.

The fact that one can create a format is no justification for doing so.
It is not used or needed to store files. It is used to send data to DAC. It was explained months before:
Hi, DSD512 = 22.5792 MHz

But my question is about DSD 24.576 MHz (DSD512x48)

For upsampling 48k base rate music (48/96/192k music)

Does DSD512x48k work with E30?

You can test with HQPlayer

Or even DSD256x48k = 12.288 MHz
Upsampling 48k based rates to 1bit 12.288 MHz is significantly lower CPU loading than to 11.2896 MHz.

So it's nothing to do with available music content.

So I just wanted to ask if DSD256x48 or DSD512x48 works with E30. Does it play music.

HQPlayer is free to try. It is fully featured for 30 minutes and then you can just restart the player again.

Can you test (for free)?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes. Better for company than to fight with customers is to get more customers. It would be only an additional feature.
Otherwise I respect your personal opinion. Different people have often different opinion on the same thing.
You are free to have your opinion, but Topping are free to manufacture what they like.

You are free to share your feedback with them and they are free to ignore it - if they so wish.

It seems to me that Topping products, particularly newly released ones, fly of the shelves. If 48 KHz DSD was an issue for a large number of people then this would dent Topping's sales. It hasn't so I conclude that it isn't.

I thank @JohnYang1997 for his response. It's refreshing to hear the truth! Truth, unlike 48KHz DSD, is something that we can all hear.

Pluto

Forum Donor
It is used to send data to DAC

Oh, that nonsense :facepalm:

Don't bother with the usual response that “it sounds better when the computer does the upsampling than leaving it to the DAC”. If you can publicly prove under independent scutiny that you can hear a difference attributable to the DAC, I'll send $500 to the charity of your choice.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I was expecting a different type of your response to my customer feedback and findings.

I will write a mail also officially to Topping and then I will publish the answer on relevant forums.

I bet you are stomping your foot too.

What a child...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet you are stomping your foot too.

What a child...

He will mark it "Importance- HIGH"- red exclamation point and everything.

GDK

Forum Donor
So you in Topping don't want to get money from users demanding features and ready to pay for high end products. Your concurrency is doing the opposite. Your bad.

I will write a mail also officially to Topping and then I will publish the answer on relevant forums.
Ok, Karen.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Ok, Karen.
1601141287753.png

Jose Hidalgo

I have E30+L30 stack and my preferred setup would be to max the volume on the L30 and use E30 to control volume from Windows
Why would you do that ? :oops:
Do you know that the L30 is an analog amplifier, whereas the E30 is a digital device ?
Do you know that in analog amplifiers, more volume means more distortion, so max volume means max distortion ?
I urge you to reconsider.

So you in Topping don't want to get money from users demanding features and ready to pay for high end products. Your concurrency is doing the opposite. Your bad.

You are just a pain in the ass. :facepalm: Why don't you just leave this board and go elsewhere ? It's unlikely that you'll find much friendly people here, since with only a few clumsy posts you've already managed to upset several people, including now a nice Topping representative that usually is really helpful which BTW is greatly appreciated. If you're gonna keep posting in the same way and with the same tone, I really think that you should go.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'm trying to find out if I can get Windows volume control to control the volume on the E30. I tried searching the thread, but can't seem to find a direct answer to that question (or I have missed it).

I have E30+L30 stack and my preferred setup would be to max the volume on the L30 and use E30 to control volume from Windows, so I can do it from the keyboard (if I have to adjust on the stack, I will just use L30 for volume control).

I have the drivers installed, and the volume slider in the Topping driver panel is controlled by Windows volume, but the display on E30 does not change volume like it does when using the remote, so it seems the volume sliders in the Topping driver is just the Windows volume.

Does anyone know if it is possible to control E30 volume from Windows volume control?
I doubt that you could do that, but I'm not sure why you want to do this? Do you have the feeling that the volume algorythm is better than the one in windows? Are the steps smaller? You could leave the e30 in pure dac mode and have the convenience you need. yes you don't see the volume level on the on the front panel, but You see it in windows, and have the benefit of seeing the sample rate on the front panel. Sorry It don't directly answer your question. Maybe Topping does something better than windows for volume, but I assume that if their own UI uses the windows volume control. They must think it works well?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm trying to find out if I can get Windows volume control to control the volume on the E30. I tried searching the thread, but can't seem to find a direct answer to that question (or I have missed it).

I have E30+L30 stack and my preferred setup would be to max the volume on the L30 and use E30 to control volume from Windows, so I can do it from the keyboard (if I have to adjust on the stack, I will just use L30 for volume control).

I have the drivers installed, and the volume slider in the Topping driver panel is controlled by Windows volume, but the display on E30 does not change volume like it does when using the remote, so it seems the volume sliders in the Topping driver is just the Windows volume.

Does anyone know if it is possible to control E30 volume from Windows volume control?
Do as your convenience. The volume in the dac is microcontroller directly controlling the registers in the dac chip. In Windows it's only controlling the xmos driver volume. The two doesn't have any connection.
Recommended solution is to firstly max out on pc and e30 adjust the volume on L30 to the maximum you'd ever use. Then use either remote or the keyboard to control the volume for convenience.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why would you do that ? :oops:
Do you know that the L30 is an analog amplifier, whereas the E30 is a digital device ?
Do you know that in analog amplifiers, more volume means more distortion, so max volume means max distortion ?
I urge you to reconsider.

You are just a pain in the ass. :facepalm: Why don't you just leave this board and go elsewhere ? It's unlikely that you'll find much friendly people here, since with only a few clumsy posts you've already managed to upset several people, including now a nice Topping representative that usually is really helpful which BTW is greatly appreciated. If you're gonna keep posting in the same way and with the same tone, I really think that you should go.
Maxing out the pot on L30 doesn't introduce distortion. In fact Amir measures almost all headamp this way. What's missing is the reservation of SNR by the analogue pot. In most cases this won't matter either. Just use whatever that's convenient.

Crhino

Thank you to all for the replies. I'll follow your recommended use scenario John, as it give me the convenience of the adjustment on the keyboard (my stack is a bit of a reach away, when I'm typing.

Jose Hidalgo

Maxing out the pot on L30 doesn't introduce distortion. In fact Amir measures almost all headamp this way. What's missing is the reservation of SNR by the analogue pot. In most cases this won't matter either. Just use whatever that's convenient.
I'm very surprised and I'd like to understand. Maybe the distortion is negligible in the L30 even with maxed pot. But in analog world in general, distortion is always correlated to the % of output power, so an analog amp will always have more distortion at 100% output power than at 10% or 50%, even if it remains negligible, right ? AFAIK that's an universal rule, so if things have changed somehow, I'd be happy to understand. Thank you.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm very surprised and I'd like to understand. Maybe the distortion is negligible in the L30 even with maxed pot, which would be consistent with Amir measurements. But L30 aside, in analog world in general, distortion is ALWAYS correlated to the % of output power, so an analog amp will always have more distortion at 100% output power than at 10% or 50%, right ? To me that's an universal rule, so if things have changed somehow, I'd be happy to understand. Thank you.
There's a misunderstanding here. Maxing out the volume pot doesn't necessarily mean the output is at very high voltage (hence high power). Because the guy was going to use attenuation before the L30. There's no difference in output power for same people listening.

Top Bottom