• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robin L

Master Contributor

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use the supplied USB power cord, but many here use old phone chargers they have, I'm sure someone will chime in with a link for a cheap one to use.
So the E30 can use the USB port for both power and audio without any issues ? No need for the DC power adapter ?

Question : if I get 2 E30, would I have a problem with the two remotes, or would they be set to different frequencies so I could pilot each DAC separately?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the E30 can use the USB port for both power and audio without any issues ? No need for the DC power adapter ?

Question : if I get 2 E30, would I have a problem with the two remotes, or would they be set to different frequencies so I could pilot each DAC separately?
E30 needs a cable for power and a cable for data, so two connections, both of the supplied cables happen to terminate in USB port connections - one for hooking the data cable to the PC and the other one for hooking up to another USB port (for power) or indeed a phone charger that accepts a USB connection plugged into it.

(I don't know about the remotes conflicting).

Jose Hidalgo

Maybe @JohnYang1997 or any Topping rep knows about this ?

D

Deleted member 18309

I have emailed Topping before and they confirmed that one remote will work for all devices which can be used with the same remote (not just the E30). So, no, you can't program individual remote controls.

Jose Hidalgo

I have a more technical question about the E30 :
If I use 2 x Topping E30 DACs connected to 2 USB ports of the same computer, how can I keep them in sync ?
Can Topping's Windows driver amalgamate them so that Windows sees the two DACs as only one 4-channel audio device ?
If not, I hope that functionality can be implemented in the Windows driver. AFAIK other DAC manufacturers can do it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a more technical question about the E30 :
If I use 2 x Topping E30 DACs connected to 2 USB ports of the same computer, how can I keep them in sync ?
Can Topping's Windows driver amalgamate them so that Windows sees the two DACs as only one 4-channel audio device ?
If not, I hope that functionality can be implemented in the Windows driver. AFAIK other DAC manufacturers can do it.

why does it matter? DAC 1 to Listener A- DAC 2 to Listener B- the sync drift is v v small over a listening session- as mentioned elsewhere- leave it playing for a day or so your ear will hear the drift- when 2 DACs are playing to the same listener. A millisecond out between the 2 has no impact on what you are doing.

Jose Hidalgo

@Jimbob54 , that's exactly what I thought ! But apparently it matters as said here : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...2-x-topping-e30-alternative.15989/post-514522
A millisecond doesn't matter. But 2 samples per second means 0.16 second after just one hour, and that is clearly audible.
I also thought that pressing "stop" or "pause" on the player could reset everything. But is that really the case, or does the software keep the audio stream running even if nothing is playing ? That is the question.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 , that's exactly what I thought ! But apparently it matters as said here : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...2-x-topping-e30-alternative.15989/post-514522
A millisecond doesn't matter. But 2 samples per second means 0.16 second after just one hour, and that is clearly audible.
I also thought that pressing "stop" or "pause" on the player could reset everything. But is that really the case, or does the software keep the audio stream running even if nothing is playing ?

But the takeaway is

Usually keeping a block or two in a buffer works, because the clock drift is small and the playback doesn't go on for longer than a few hours at a time, so the drift doesn't grow too much. If the playback is 24/7, resampling would be necessary.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the takeaway is

Usually keeping a block or two in a buffer works, because the clock drift is small and the playback doesn't go on for longer than a few hours at a time, so the drift doesn't grow too much. If the playback is 24/7, resampling would be necessary.

Just try the 2 dac solution. You might use a bit of cpu power though, 2 instances running with 2 eq profiles. Depending on your pc that might cause glitches.

Jose Hidalgo

Yup, CPU power won't be an issue, as I intend to build a dedicated rig for audio & video purposes : Zen 3 CPU, RTX 3xxxx and everything. If there are glitches it won't be the rig. :)

shfter

I noticed something odd today, depending on the position of my E30 when i turn my SMSL amp on high gain, max volume I'll get a hissing sound (or an electric charge type of sound). Is this normal?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed something odd today, depending on the position of my E30 when i turn my SMSL amp on high gain, max volume I'll get a hissing sound (or an electric charge type of sound). Is this normal?

I would have thought so. All components have some degree of noise if you amplify enough. Play some music on your most sensitive HP- as loud as you would ever get- pause playback. If you cant hear that noise, no problem!

Jose Hidalgo

Yes, hence the "signal/noise ratio" I guess. There is always noise, but it's hidden by the signal because it's much lower than the signal. If you increase the signal, you also increase the noise. So by turning your volume knob to max, you may reach a point where the noise becomes actually audible if there's no signal. I hope that makes sense.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(Unless it's a hum type sound which is likely a ground loop)

Aldoszx

I like my E30, but it is something that is bothering me !
I have E30 connected by USB to RPi4 and by Toslink to my TV set.
Even the tv sound is set to go to TV speakers, when I turn on the TV, sound is ruted to E30.
I suppose the TV has some problems with sound setting, but what is annoyng is that E30 switches automatically to Toslink input, even i have it setted to USB !
@JohnYang1997, could you please tell me if that is the default behaviour of E30, to automatically switch between input sources?
I have to mention that i have USB standby setting enabled in Ropiee.
Thank you !

SaberCat

I have a small rant for our friends at Topping to consider.....the E30/L30 are sold separately but obviously make a fine pair and are intended to work together. So....I bought both and loved them, they are a beautiful office system and with HD800's are as satisfying to listen to as my DX7 Pro, SRM-353X and Stax SR-L700's in the main room. So all good....until I moved them and accidentally detonated the E30 because it requires a 5V supply but USES THE SAME POWER JACK AS THE 15V AC L30, hence I stupidly plugged in 15V AC just for a few seconds, and the magic smoke escaped.

So Topping....please consider in designing stacked products the fact that people can be dumb, and either provide sufficient PSU overvoltage protection (ideally not a fuse, certainly not a SMD fuse) or just use different size jacks so this stacking error cannot happen...I am sure I'm not the only one to have done this !

Otherwise - love the products, shame I have to buy the DAC twice !

Last edited:
Top Bottom