• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

D

Deleted member 18309

i would have a question for all the owners, preferably those who also own(ed) smsl gear...are the remotes any better here, as in, are they anymore user friendly?

I don't own SMSL stuff, but can confirm the remote is simple to use and doesn't need to be "woken up" as you mentioned. The functions you use all the time e.g. input select and volume change are easy to remember and the ones that aren't so hard to remember, it's not too hard to figure out with some practice.

Check it out on the website to see a picture of the remote and its functions: http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/434825.html

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i did check that link before, part of my usability/quality concerns were actually the "invalid button" remarks

D

Deleted member 18309

i did check that link before, part of my usability/quality concerns were actually the "invalid button" remarks

Oh, that means those particular buttons do nothing for the E30, but could have use for other Topping products. The remote controls are not necessarily unique for each Topping DAC.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Nope, it doesn't do that
Like my E30 very much, but honestly It's hard to argue against the fact that this remote is terrible. Actually I don't use it because I don't use the E30 as a preamp and I only used one source for now. But Looking at it now, I wouldn't even know how to put my dac in preamp mode. I would have to go online to read the manual. Out of the 6 bottom buttons, 6 out of 6! By looking at it you don't know what it's supposed to do. A headset? There are no headphone amp, what does it do? FIR? that's engineering lingo, I know it's for filters, but Really, who knows what is a FIR beside engineers. Auto? Auto What? Line Out? no idea, there is nothing Else in output but a line out. M? what? My first bet would be mute, but then there is a speaker with the X on top, so not that. A circle half filled... Really? Quickly I would assume that +- is for volume and > would be source select but is it? it's not written, you have to guess and really, going forward and back to select between 3 sources? A single button with "source" written on it would have done it wouldn't it? Is it even that or is it to navigate some menu? No idea...

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like my E30 very much, but honestly It's hard to argue against the fact that this remote is terrible. Actually I don't use it because I don't use the E30 as a preamp and I only used one source for now. But Looking at it now, I wouldn't even know how to put my dac in preamp mode. I would have to go online to read the manual. Out of the 6 bottom buttons, 6 out of 6! By looking at it you don't know what it's supposed to do. A headset? There are no headphone amp, what does it do? FIR? that's engineering lingo, I know it's for filters, but Really, who knows what is a FIR beside engineers. Auto? Auto What? Line Out? no idea, there is nothing Else in output but a line out. M? what? My first bet would be mute, but then there is a speaker with the X on top, so not that. A circle half filled... Really? Quickly I would assume that +- is for volume and > would be source select but is it? it's not written, you have to guess and really, going forward and back to select between 3 sources? A single button with "source" written on it would have done it wouldn't it? Is it even that or is it to navigate some menu? No idea...

Its not unfair to say manuals are not Toppings string suit.

EDIT- strong suit, but I kinda like string suit.

Hemi-Demon

I see, for some reason i can hear a bit of popping / crackling at times especially in the left ear - something truly just does not feel right at all. I also noticed optical seems to not want to work on the E30 either (with the driver installed).
I think my E30 may be faulty. I'll see what happens down the line, but looks like i'll get the M200 to stack with my SMSL SP 200.

That certainly sounds like a bad unit.

There's a great forum called head-fi where the readership will love all that audiophile nonsense that you posted...

Why attack a person, in this matter? Some of you all are trying to turn this into a forum against forum battle royale, its cult like. The more opinions, the better the conversation and the more people learn, on both sides.

The E30, as with most Topping gear that use a USB based power solution (D50s and E30) do have a blacker background, using a better power supply. No I do not have a AP system. Maybe my home has a poor grounding system, but every Topping unit I have owned, especially the ones that a USB powered, all exhibit less audible noise when using a better power supply unit versus running only usb powered. Even the review constraints (only USB powered) in the OP, versus what JohnYang commented about the PSU noise, gives "some credence" to at bare minimum a wall charger will remove some of the USB power noise.

Let's grow the forum as much as possible, bring people together, not run them off with antagonistic posts, all the time.

shfter

That certainly sounds like a bad unit.

Why attack a person, in this matter? Some of you all are trying to turn this into a forum against forum battle royale, its cult like. The more opinions, the better the conversation and the more people learn, on both sides.

The E30, as with most Topping gear that use a USB based power solution (D50s and E30) do have a blacker background, using a better power supply. No I do not have a AP system. Maybe my home has a poor grounding system, but every Topping unit I have owned, especially the ones that a USB powered, all exhibit less audible noise when using a better power supply unit versus running only usb powered. Even the review constraints (only USB powered) in the OP, versus what JohnYang commented about the PSU noise, gives "some credence" to at bare minimum a wall charger will remove some of the USB power noise.

Let's grow the forum as much as possible, bring people together, not run them off with antagonistic posts, all the time.

Yeah i thought so, don't know if it's also normal but with USB - if i put my SMSL on high-gain / max volume i hear buzzing/electrical type noise. If i remove the DAC and try just the SMSL amplifier i get zero noise. Looks like this will be the last time i buy a DAC that does not have XLR connection.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah i thought so, don't know if it's also normal but with USB - if i put my SMSL on high-gain / max volume i hear buzzing/electrical type noise. If i remove the DAC and try just the SMSL amplifier i get zero noise. Looks like this will be the last time i buy a DAC that does not have XLR connection.
Have you tried RCA-XLR cables with groundlifting adapters?

Hemi-Demon

Sounds like you have a ground imbalance between the two units. What amp are you using, and why do you need to run it in high gain? Are you running 300 ohm headphones?

Also the benchmark audio RCA to XLR cables work wonders with ground issues, when going unbalanced to balanced gear, that are neccesarily designed to work with each other, due to the differences in the input/output voltages.

shfter

Have you tried RCA-XLR cables with groundlifting adapters?
I didn't know they sold that, you mean like this?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ff97f7c-0b7b-4f47-9918-e64ab8cc5a3a_large.jpg
I have not tried, would it be any good or as good as a proper XLR cable?
Sounds like you have a ground imbalance between the two units. What amp are you using, and why do you need to run it in high gain? Are you running 300 ohm headphones?

Also the benchmark audio RCA to XLR cables work wonders with ground issues, when going unbalanced to balanced gear, that are neccesarily designed to work with each other, due to the differences in the input/output voltages.
I'm running 300ohm - although i feel like i can hear a tiny bit of static every so often while on low gain. Then when i test high gain / max volume i get a lot of static sounding noises / background noises. Everyone online that has the same amp as me (SMSL SP200) hears zero noise.

Hemi-Demon

I didn't know they sold that, you mean like this?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ff97f7c-0b7b-4f47-9918-e64ab8cc5a3a_large.jpg
I have not tried, would it be any good or as good as a proper XLR cable?

I'm running 300ohm - although i feel like i can hear a tiny bit of static every so often while on low gain. Then when i test high gain / max volume i get a lot of static sounding noises / background noises. Everyone online that has the same amp as me (SMSL SP200) hears zero noise.

I meant these,

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all-products/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable,

The SP200 should not exhibit noise, although I would recommend an app with a more suited gain structure for high impedance headphones. A monolith liquid platinum BALANCED OUT (the single ended output is just okay, see Amir's review from awhile back), would be a nice pairing. What headphones do you have? You can find then refurbished or used, around $400.

shfter

I meant these,

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all-products/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable,

The SP200 should not exhibit noise, although I would recommend an app with a more suited gain structure for high impedance headphones. A monolith liquid platinum BALANCED OUT (the single ended output is just okay, see Amir's review from awhile back), would be a nice pairing. What headphones do you have? You can find then refurbished or used, around $400.
It only exhibits the noise when connected to the DAC - when i remove the DAC and RCA cable from the SMSL amplifier and try the max volume / gain it sounds perfect. I'm not a fan of tube amplifiers unfortunately.

HD800s.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like my E30 very much, but honestly It's hard to argue against the fact that this remote is terrible. ... No idea...

:p Well, you have a point for sure, but generally you only use volume up/down and source select. Granted, not even all buttons do something.. but the once’s that do, function just fine and on first try.

If you don’t like it, you can always switch to something like a Harmony universal remote.

Hemi-Demon

It only exhibits the noise when connected to the DAC - when i remove the DAC and RCA cable from the SMSL amplifier and try the max volume / gain it sounds perfect. I'm not a fan of tube amplifiers unfortunately.

HD800s.

Nice cans, I definitely don't think the SP200 is the best pairing for that level of headphone, but hey use what sounds best to your ears:). Good luck.

tw99

There's no value in growing this forum into yet another place where uncontrolled subjective listening impressions are taken as being relevant. Linear PSUs, "better" cables, various magic isolation devices have been shown to make no difference to a DACs output.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These cables employ the best practice in wiring ordinary RCA-XLR cables: RCA+ to pin 2, RCA- to pin 3, and RCA- through the shield to pin 1. This keeps the ground connection through pin 1, but provides better protection compared to a single wire for RCA-.

A groundlifting adapter leaves pin 1 floating, which, when it is used, should be put at the XLR input side, not at the RCA output.
For example: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GLT-255-Female-Ground-Stopper/dp/B00FC4YPL4
If the RCA side is grounded, a groundlifter may help to break a ground loop. If it is not grounded, groundlifting should not be used, in order to avoid connecting a grounded XLR input to a device without any ground connection.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no value in growing this forum into yet another place where uncontrolled subjective listening impressions are taken as being relevant. Linear PSUs, "better" cables, various magic isolation devices have been shown to make no difference to a DACs output.

Dont get high on your own linear power supply. Just say "no" to plugs.

Top Bottom