• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 50.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 85 35.3%

• Total voters
Which is the lowest-priced USB interface with an SPDIF output?
For a "standard" audio interface with mic preamp, it's the NI Komplete Audio 6 MK2 at $133 according to this with "at least 1 SPDIF" checked: https://www.thomannmusic.com/cat_GK...last=4&oa=pra&gk=STAIUS&cme=false&filter=true

More features, but might not measure as good as the Topping

@amirm I might have missed this point, but does the Toping E2x2 allow to send two different signals at the same time between the line output and the headphones outputs?

I'd like to know more about Topping - where they are, who is in charge, who the engineers are, I want to see the inside of their office and their lab.....

Thanks @amirm
I'd like to know more about Topping - where they are, who is in charge, who the engineers are, I want to see the inside of their office and their lab.....
Just come in Guangzhou (Canton), I am pretty sure they will be very friendly.

Guangzhou TOPPING Electronics & Technology co., LTD​

Add: 26th Jiaomen Road, Huangge, Nansha, Guangzhou, China.

Thank you for the review. Many people may underestimate the role of software functionality. In China, the "live streaming" market is many times larger than the music market. Many people are willing to buy an audio interface to do live streaming on Douyin (Chinese TikTok) or other platforms, singing or selling stuff. Often, it's necessary to do "joint broadcasting" or "PK," which means hosting online shows with others, while being able to use different output channels to prevent echoes caused by the voice transmitted back from the software. In this case, the software Mixer provided by Topping is very crucial. It allows for mixing and then outputting from two sets of loopback channels, which is very convenient for those who need to use tools like AutoTune or other DAW plugins for live performances. Previously, many functions could only be achieved through professional interfaces like the RME Babyface Pro, which offered the world's best mixer: TotalMix. But now, for people who need fewer channels, this can already satisfy their live streaming demands while the much more expensive Babyface Pro will be an obvious overkill. That's the reason why Topping is paying very much attention to the software part.

Personally, I quite like the separate 48v phantom power switch, good headphone amplifiers, and good ADC performance. It's very predictable that Topping will add DSP and related functionality in future products, which I believe will have a certain impact on manufacturers, including RME. Of course, it will take a long time to catch up with RME's low latency, stability, service, and good reputation, but as a customer, I'm glad that there's more competition in the market.

@amirm I might have missed this point, but does the Toping E2x2 allow to send two different signals at the same time between the line output and the headphones outputs?
I tested it using the Ch 1&2 in both cases so I am guessing the answer is no. It does expose 6 channels though.

I might have missed this point, but does the Toping E2x2 allow to send two different signals at the same time between the line output and the headphones outputs?
This one is the same as SSL 2, $179, only one stereo DAC.

Julian Krause did mention in his video that depending on the power provided, the performance of the headphone output is also affected. However, I didn't really understand that portion. Must the supplementary usb c power input be used to attain that ideal performance, or is it dependent on the device that is feeding the signal to the E2x2 thru the primary usb c connection? If it is the latter, how should we know if our device is adequately powering the E2x2 to hit the ideal headphone output performance without the help of measuring devices?
Performance is not affected. Only the max power at about 32 ohm or lower. Usually single usb port can supply sufficient current to not have an affect. In another word, if the device doesn't have a power cut-out you are not affected.

I tested it using the Ch 1&2 in both cases so I am guessing the answer is no. It does expose 6 channels though.
Thank you, and looking at the picture on your first post with 3/4 and 5/6 being loopback channels, it certainly the same output (the name E2x2 matching 2 In / 2 Out too)

I'm not sure that I ever saw one interface without independent headphones output, and it makes more sense to separate line and headphones output because most DAWs have several monitoring bus, which allow for example to set an EQ for the speakers on the line output, and a different EQ on the headphones output.

Now, it's a basic interface, but with good measurement

EDIT: @Postlan thanks, didn't know the SSL 2 had the same output too

Thank you, and looking at the picture on your first post with 3/4 and 5/6 being loopback channels, it certainly the same output (the name E2x2 matching 2 In / 2 Out too)
I'm not sure that I ever saw one interface without independent headphones output, and it makes more sense to separate line and headphones output because most DAWs have several monitoring bus, which allow for example to set an EQ for the speakers on the line output, and a different EQ on the headphones output
Every 2in 2out interfaces?

Every 2in 2out interfaces?
It seems other interfaces are in the same case, like @Postlan said.
I certainly have used mainly interfaces with more channels, or my memory was biased because the last one I tried with the same number of ports (2 XLR/Jack inputs, 2 Jacks output and 1 stereo headphones output) is the Apollo Solo, and by default, it work like that (same signals on Line and Headphones output), but you can change it in the software and output different signals on both outputs (which means that it has two DACs)

It seems other interfaces are in the same case, like @Postlan said.
I certainly have used mainly interfaces with more channels, or my memory was biased because the last one I tried with the same number of ports (2 XLR/Jack inputs, 2 Jacks output and 1 stereo headphones output) is the Apollo Solo, and by default, it work like that (same signals on Line and Headphones output), but you can change it in the software and output different signals on both outputs (which means that it has two DACs)
E4x4 pre is around the corner.
Image_1698811945212.jpg

E4x4 pre is around the corner. View attachment 322883
Great!
So I suppose one stereo signal on line outputs, and another one one the headphones outputs? (same signal for both headphones, but possibility to use two different headphones with low/high gain and volume adjustable for each one)

Great!
So I suppose one stereo signal on line outputs, and another one one the headphones outputs? (same signal for both headphones, but possibility to use two different headphones with low/high gain and volume adjustable for each one)
1 2 3 4, four line outputs
1-2 and 3-4, two stereo headphone outs.

Man. I feel people are not appreciating the preamp as much. View attachment 322884

Don't worry, if the preamps are great, people will know in the end

1 2 3 4, four line outputs
1-2 and 3-4, two stereo headphone outs.
OK, so at least you can send two different signal on 1/2 line and 3/4 headphones.
But if it doesn't make the cost too much high, you might consider for the next product to totally separate line outputs and headphones, I might be wrong but I think part of users will want/need it

Last edited:
Don't worry, if the preamps are great, people will know in the end

OK, so at least you can send two different signal on 1/2 line and 3/4 headphones.
But if it doesn't make the cost too much high, you might consider for the next product to totally separate line outputs and headphones, I might be wrong but I think part of users will want/need it.
Then you may have 8 channels instead of 4. Why only have 4 outs if you already have 8 da sections.

Then you may have 8 channels instead of 4. Why only have 4 outs if you already have 8 da sections.
It would be like using the ES9038PRO that is in DM7, but routing the first 4 channels (1/2 and 3/4) to line outputs and the next 4 channels (5/6 and 7/8) to two headphones outputs

I don't know how you can put "customer service" and "Behringer" in the same sentence. I bought one of their speakers on Amazon. Measured it. It was clearly broken. Initiated a warranty repair. After some delay and back and forth, they said to send it to them which I did. Even though I had bought this from Amazon and I had shown then a copy of my online receipt, they answered that I had not provided proper proof of purchase so I had to send them that order reference again. After a while they said they have no parts for it so can't repair it. And proceeded to close the ticket without any offer of a refund!!! So now I not only had lost the original purchase price but cost of shipping too. I tried to get their attention again but they would not respond. BTW, this is on top of the stupid "tribe" thing you have to register just to submit such a ticket.

A few months went by and I decided to contact their sales channel and telling them (again) that I am reviewer. This got their attention and they then offered to make a refund. But not to my credit card but with a wire transfer to my back account (!). I provided all of the information and they say that the info must be wrong as they can't do the transfer. I check with my bank and it is all correct. I send again but they still complain and once again proceed to close my ticket!

The above went on for some 9 months. A couple of months ago on a whim, I complained to Amazon. They immediately issued a refund to me even though this was not their fault.

Based on this, I would never, ever buy anything Behringer.
This is really crazy bad support.

Their devices were well known for their lack of reliability, but your experience gives it another dimension, still.
It might be worse because you're in US, as I've not heard of such nightmare here in Europe.
I'm not giving Behringer special attention, though, so I may just have missed it.

Of course, when the device is failing after warranty period, you loose everything anyway.

Back
Top Bottom