• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 81 34.2%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man. I feel people are not appreciating the preamp as much. View attachment 322884
Screenshot_20231018-122514.png

This chart makes no sense.

Comparing at "Maximum gain" without knowing the gain is just useless and misleading, sorry to say.

You can't compare EIN on preamps without aligning the preamp gain first.
A microphone has a given output voltage for a certain SPL (given comparable preamp impedance). You need to align all preamps to have the same level (dBFS) on the ADC before comparing.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It would be like using the ES9038PRO that is in DM7, but routing the first 4 channels (1/2 and 3/4) to line outputs and the next 4 channels (5/6 and 7/8) to two headphones outputs
Why not still have the option to have all 8 connected on the back. Like 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 on the back and have 5/6 7/8 or 1/2 3/4 for headphones?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
View attachment 322893
This chart makes no sense.

Comparing at "Maximum gain" without knowing the gain is just useless and misleading, sorry to say.

You can't compare EIN on preamps without aligning the preamp gain first.
A microphone has a given output voltage for a certain SPL (given comparable preamp impedance). You need to align all preamps to have the same level (dBFS) on the ADC before comparing.
Well. It does make sense. Because when the noise of preamps matter the most is amplifying low sensitivity dynamics where you use almost all of the gain. Unless the gain range is unrealistically more than what's normally used like 85 90db, comparing max gain matters.
Let me put it this way, the preamp is also optimized for lower gain using as low resistance in the feedback as possible. In a 50db gain scenario preamp in E2x2 can do 30dB of analogue gain with 20dB digital in post and still have lower noise than THAT6263 equipped preamps like in Motu m series, Scarlett series set at 50db. Well in fact they are also have only 34 db analogue gain to begin with. It's only free advantages for the ones in E2x2. You obviously know your stuff. Having 3-4dB lower EIN with 150ohm input is like leagues ahead and you know that. The difference is only higher if input shorted.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. It does make sense. Because when the noise of preamps matter the most is amplifying low sensitivity dynamics where you use almost all of the gain. Unless the gain range is unrealistically more than what's normally used like 85 90db, comparing max gain matters.
Still, the noise will vary with the gain, and most preamp will have similar noise at high gain - as long as the gain is aligned.
Having 3-4dB lower EIN with 150ohm input is like leagues ahead and you know that.
Indeed. 2-3dB is more the kind of variation you could expect, even between high end preamps and (modern) low cost ones using THAT chip.
So this graph showing 14 dB noise difference is completely unrealistic.
It's only there because you have completely different maximum gains, probably including some digital gain indeed.

2023-11-01 10_59_57-Greenshot.png

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So this product is basically a DAC/headphone amp combo but additionally has a left right analog input that can be used for a microphone or any other kind of analog input you want to insert? I think they did right by trying to maximise the headphone amp performance whilst letting it slide a little on the DAC side re costs.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it was a bad decision to have an USB-C digital input in a unit of this kind. I don´t like USB-C inputs in laptops either, but here it´s intended use require in my mind a solid connection.
Regarding my previous comment about USB-C connectors. After looking at other manufacturers' microphone amplifiers, in fairness it should perhaps be said that USB-C seems to have become more or less a standard. It wasn't like that when I bought a microphone amplifier last time. I wonder if it has to do with Apple and Mac dominating so much among musicians and studio people. As far as I know, their Laptops only have USB-C ports these days. Typical Apple, but not particularly robust. And you need adapters for all those gear that do no´t have USB-C connectors.

Mulder

Forum Donor
So this product is basically a DAC/headphone amp combo but additionally has a left right analog input that can be used for a microphone or any other kind of analog input you want to insert? I think they did right by trying to maximise the headphone amp performance whilst letting it slide a little on the DAC side re costs.
No, that is misleading. It is basically a digital microphone amplifier and converter. The analogue input is not something "additionally" - it is the main purpose. Given it´s purpose I don´t think maximising the headphone out is priority.

FINFET

Forum Donor
Consider priority more like a reversed version: basically an ADC/mic-preamp combo but additionally provided decent left and right analog output as DAC/headphone amp for a headphone or analog output.

phoenixsong

E4x4 pre is around the corner. View attachment 322883
Any release with a slightly better DAC? :p If there is I'm all in

Context: I love listening to music and have been into audio gear for many years but have recently started recording vocal covers too. Imagine being able to ditch the traditional DAC/headamp stack while getting the same audio quality AND being able to record quality recordings as well with a single device! Definitely won't mind paying more for that

andymcbain

It seems to be Topping’s answer to the ubiquitous Focusrite 2i2 - an entry level audio interface targeted at home recording types, musicians, beat makers, podcasters etc. The DAC in the E2x2 - while not exactly SOTA, seems to performs similarly to the 3rd generation 2i2. For the intended market it will “do the job”…. :) The ADC, mic preamps and headphone amplification are great for this kind of money. Musicians needing a clean recording for microphones, guitars, keyboards have everything they need here so long as 2 simultaneous inputs are enough. And those mixing and monitoring in headphones finally have a decent headphone amp in a budget interface.

When I started uni in 2005 we were all advised by the music tech department to invest in some HD600/650 for our work… I would have killed for a device like this back then, put it that way. Though this is assuming the drivers and software cut the mustard :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that is misleading. It is basically a digital microphone amplifier and converter. The analogue input is not something "additionally" - it is the main purpose. Given it´s purpose I don´t think maximising the headphone out is priority.
Consider priority more like a reversed version: basically an ADC/mic-preamp combo but additionally provided decent left and right analog output as DAC/headphone amp for a headphone or analog output.
I'm just trying to figure out the main usage. So someone would hook up a mic to it as the main use for the analog inputs? I suppose they could hook up an instrument to it too, like an electric guitar or keyboard or something like that? So it would be a means of hearing the instrument & recording it too maybe, along with the microphone input that could be recorded at same time? So people using this device would mainly be musicians or people that want a mic attached too? Although re mic, there's plenty of combo DAC/headphone amps that have a mic input too, so that can't be such a unique selling point I guess. Just trying to figure out how this device is likely to be used.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to be Topping’s answer to the ubiquitous Focusrite 2i2 - an entry level audio interface targeted at home recording types, musicians, beat makers, podcasters etc. The DAC in the E2x2 - while not exactly SOTA, seems to performs similarly to the 3rd generation 2i2. For the intended market it will “do the job”…. :) The ADC, mic preamps and headphone amplification are great for this kind of money. Musicians needing a clean recording for microphones, guitars, keyboards have everything they need here so long as 2 simultaneous inputs are enough. And those mixing and monitoring in headphones finally have a decent headphone amp in a budget interface.

When I started uni in 2005 we were all advised by the music tech department to invest in some HD600/650 for our work… I would have killed for a device like this back then, put it that way. Though this is assuming the drivers and software cut the mustard :)
Ah, ok, well explained, that makes total sense, I now know how this thing would be used.

EDIT: I just voted it "Great", seems like excellent value for money for all that function whilst being clean enough generally & additionally quite impressive in the headphone amplifier.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Still, the noise will vary with the gain, and most preamp will have similar noise at high gain - as long as the gain is aligned.

Indeed. 2-3dB is more the kind of variation you could expect, even between high end preamps and (modern) low cost ones using THAT chip.
So this graph showing 14 dB noise difference is completely unrealistic.
It's only there because you have completely different maximum gains, probably including some digital gain indeed.

View attachment 322928
Using max gain EIN may not be the end all solution but it's more than representative. It's not often you see excellent EIN at max gain but horribly worse at 20-30db gain.

It's almost like 50mV. You may choose a informed number like 50dB (or something between 55-65) to test all mic pres. And anything lower either fails or has to use digital gain to match the gain. I agree if tested this can be more revealing.

I not sure i understand what 14dB noise difference that you are showing is.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Any release with a slightly better DAC? :p If there is I'm all in

Context: I love listening to music and have been into audio gear for many years but have recently started recording vocal covers too. Imagine being able to ditch the traditional DAC/headamp stack while getting the same audio quality AND being able to record quality recordings as well with a single device! Definitely won't mind paying more for that

In short, the DA and output performance is actually good enough but there will be something better later.

With the analogue volume control which many don't have nowadays, the output performance here is actually really up there in real world usage. The analogue dynamic range is 127dB. This means you can attenuate 30dB and still have about 97dB of dynamic range. At this sort of level noise becomes dominant in affecting performance. You have this kinda of benefit with output but not input. Actually you do but that's again back to the mic preamp. It's still a bit difference tho. In another word, when the pricing is the limiting factor this little box is probably maximizing and balancing everything actually matters.
With other products on the market:
You can actually hear the noise with IEMs.
You can actually hear the change in frequency response due to high output impedance.
You can actually hear higher noise using the same mic.
You don't have a loopback mix or any custom mix. So it's difficult for streaming.
etc

In this series there won't be better DACs for now. But we will have products that come in probably much later with better ADDA performance.

Devfefe

Hello everyone, is AliExpress the only place to buy this product ? Or should I wait for other website to have it ? I am from Europe thanks

Reactions: MCH

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh I saw where the 14dB comes from now. 131-117.
This is completely realistic. Anything higher than -127 is not great and anything higher than 123 can be considered pretty bad. If it's higher than -120dB, it's hopeless. ( this is my opinion which is almost in line with Julian's excellent/good/fair/bad assessments)
Julian always use the SM7B in the videos you can actually hear the noise in the background when the mic pre is noisy.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Ah, ok, well explained, that makes total sense, I now know how this thing would be used.

EDIT: I just voted it "Great", seems like excellent value for money for all that function whilst being clean enough generally & additionally quite impressive in the headphone amplifier.
As pointed out earlier these products need computer software, so the software quality and support is as important as the device itself.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello everyone, is AliExpress the only place to buy this product ? Or should I wait for other website to have it ? I am from Europe thanks
You can wait and I recommend you to. We are currently discussing with some big resellers. It will take some time. But still please feel comfortable to purchase from aliexpress directly from us. And we upped the game setting premium shipping free.

Top Bottom