• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any chance you confirm if the 4 pin xlr headphone output is a true differential output? If this is the case, the xlr headphone output would be close to 20 ohms output impedance.
I hope to create a setup soon for balanced headphone testing. Once I get there, I will post the results.

For now, Topping itself says the impedance doubles: http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/dx7/index.htm

upload_2018-2-9_12-8-53.png

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello

First post here :)
Thanks a lot for all these reviews, they are really useful, and especially this one.

I ordered a pair of DX7s from the recent massdrop offer, and I hope their measurements turn as good (err, better!) than these ones.

Two things have me worried regarding the "s" version: "channel balance" is said to be 0.3dB (not specified for the former version as far as I can tell), and 20Hz-20kHz response is said to be within +/- 0.35dB (vs +/-0.01dB for the former version).
The frequency graph shown on the presentation page sure looks a little bit wiggle, but nothing as large as 0.35dB : http://www.tpdz.net.img.800cdn.com/en/products/dx7s/dx7s-en-18.jpg
I hope this is only due to the new antialiasing filters options that might imply a significant rolloff...

Anyway, I am eagerly waiting for your measurements before I receive my own units :D

drconopoima

Forum Donor
I'm really thinking about getting it on MassDrop as its a great discounted price! But I'm torn to know if its really an upgrade vs my DX7 because the DX7 is already so great and sadly the new version doesn't have a lower output impedance which is what I was looking for in the first place since all my headphones are low impedance.
The DX7s specifications are in the topping website backed by Audio Precision measurements. To the extent that can be interpreted from them, there is nothing wrong with the new unit but improvements are also so minor that it doesn't warrant an upgrade from Dx7 in my opinion.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The DX7s specifications are in the topping website backed by Audio Precision measurements. To the extent that can be interpreted from them, there is nothing wrong with the new unit but improvements are also so minor that it doesn't warrant an upgrade from Dx7 in my opinion.
Yes I will wait for the measurements to see.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hello

First post here :)
Thanks a lot for all these reviews, they are really useful, and especially this one.

I ordered a pair of DX7s from the recent massdrop offer, and I hope their measurements turn as good (err, better!) than these ones.

Two things have me worried regarding the "s" version: "channel balance" is said to be 0.3dB (not specified for the former version as far as I can tell), and 20Hz-20kHz response is said to be within +/- 0.35dB (vs +/-0.01dB for the former version).
The frequency graph shown on the presentation page sure looks a little bit wiggle, but nothing as large as 0.35dB : http://www.tpdz.net.img.800cdn.com/en/products/dx7s/dx7s-en-18.jpg
I hope this is only due to the new antialiasing filters options that might imply a significant rolloff...

Anyway, I am eagerly waiting for your measurements before I receive my own units :D
The DX7S tests should be out before you receive your Massdrop unit.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few questions. What was the Massdrop price of the DX7s? Also, is there any real timeline of Topping including a remote? Last, I've read on Head Fi that there might be another model coming out - D50? Any known idea of what that would be?

I'd like to get something I can run direct to my JBL 708P's and use my Allo USBridge.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was $379 or something like that.

BTW, I have both the DX7s and D50 in house. :) THe D50 has had no announcements other than a picture on their site.
Ah, so that's quite the savings! Too bad I missed it.

Well, I look forward to hearing what the differences are and most importantly the measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am sure it will be on drops or on sale on Amazon at some point.

For the remote, in another thread folks are trying to get a universal remote to work with it since Topping provides the hex codes. So there are other options than waiting for them to produce the remote.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure it will be on drops or on sale on Amazon at some point.

For the remote, in another thread folks are trying to get a universal remote to work with it since Topping provides the hex codes. So there are other options than waiting for them to produce the remote.
OK, I'm sure it will be known when it's on sale. Yeah, their remote is just nice though.

Can you say what the D50 actually is compared to the DX7s?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you say what the D50 actually is compared to the DX7s?
It is a pure DAC without headphone out, volume control, etc. It is much smaller. Topping told me it is NOT a replacement for D30. So not sure what its positioning is. It looks very solid and nice though.

I have not had a chance to power it up.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a pure DAC without headphone out, volume control, etc. It is much smaller. Topping told me it is NOT a replacement for D30. So not sure what its positioning is. It looks very solid and nice though.

I have not had a chance to power it up.
Ah, Dac only doesn't work for me. ;-)

Do you know if the DX7s is going to be the top of the dac/pre or are they coming out with something else in that group?

Hopefully this thread will be updated when there are some deals to be had. It seems like the perfect dac/pre for my JBL setup.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you know if the DX7s is going to be the top of the dac/pre or are they coming out with something else in that group?
I don't have any insight into that.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was $379 or something like that.

BTW, I have both the DX7s and D50 in house. :) THe D50 has had no announcements other than a picture on their site.

Nice! Can you please drop everything else you are doing and measure the DX7s? Its Valentine' day and the DX7s needs some measurement love :D

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! Can you please drop everything else you are doing and measure the DX7s? Its Valentine' day and the DX7s needs some measurement love :D
^^^ What he said!

Top Bottom