• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

xxie

Amirm,

Thanks for the works! In the original D30 DAC measurement on 24bits 48khz Jitter test, there are two sidebands around at 12Khz as you pointed out. Is this review, I did not see these two sidebands, is there any reason for it? (I did see the units changed from dBv to dBr, does it explain?)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice job Amir!

I found the DX7 at NewEgg and several other places but for $399 at all of them.

Thanks. I missed that. I bit the $100 bullet and ordered it. I seriously doubt I will find something this high quality, with a proper remote even at the $400 price.

Thank you, Amir for the review. Your good karma got you 100 bucks off :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For comparison, did you manage to test how many bits of resolution did the JDS Labs OL DAC have?
No. In that test I am using my analyzer digital (S/PDIF) output which the OL DAC lacks. There is a version with that but they wanted a lot more money for it.

Longer term I hope to devise these tests such that they run from USB.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm,

Thanks for the works! In the original D30 DAC measurement on 24bits 48khz Jitter test, there are two sidebands around at 12Khz as you pointed out. Is this review, I did not see these two sidebands, is there any reason for it? (I did see the units changed from dBv to dBr, does it explain?)
That is interesting. Let me repeat the measurement again and see what is up. dBr scale should make no difference but perhaps I changed the FFT length without realising it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are the single ended and balanced outputs active at the same time?
Yes! I am using unbalanced to drive my sub and the two balanced to drive the JBL LSR305P MK II and works great! I will measure balanced output later.

Joamlt

I checked their china online shop in taobao, and it seems that they have a newer version of this which they call DX7s.
It features an ESS9028Q2M with no remote as far as I can tell.
However price is slightly higher probably $320.
I'm guessing the chinese market prefers the newer DAC instead of the older ES9018

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Newegg 3rd party seller shenzhenaudio emailed me after I placed the order for the DX7 and told me the DX7 is no longer available and they will send me the DX7s instead. I replied asking if it includes the remote. Next thing I know, I have a tracking number for the shipment and no reply from the seller yet. On the positive side, I am getting a DX7s at a potentially discounted price (assuming its more than $400 for the new model). On the negative side I don’t get a remote. At least this unit has a volume knob which is really important for me so I don’t have to open an app to quickly reduce the volume as I am moving around the living room.

Looks like shenzhenaudio has removed the listing now.

I guess the remote functionality was removed because they are selling this primarily as a headphone amp? Why bother with XLR outputs for an amp then? Perhaps the rumored D50 will include a remote, just to piss me off a bit more :)

Old Listener

amir, your review of the DX7 is very timely for me. Thanks.

After my Behringer 204HD experience, I have one request. Could you check the max. output levels for unbalanced and balanced outputs on the DX7? I read the specs. on Newegg but confirmation by measurement is good too.

Choosing between the upgraded components in the DX7s and the remote provided with the DX7 will require some thought. (Or maybe not if the DX7 is no longer available.)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

After my Behringer 204HD experience, I have one request. Could you check the max. output levels for unbalanced and balanced outputs on the DX7? I read the specs. on Newegg but confirmation by measurement is good too.
My pleasure and good point. I will graph the Behringer against it so that it is clear what the level difference is. I need to start documenting the output levels on these products.

As I noted in my JBL LSR305P MK II, I have no trouble driving those to pretty loud levels with the DX7 using balanced connections so I think its output level is healthy.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Newegg 3rd party seller shenzhenaudio emailed me after I placed the order for the DX7 and told me the DX7 is no longer available and they will send me the DX7s instead. I replied asking if it includes the remote. Next thing I know, I have a tracking number for the shipment and no reply from the seller yet. On the positive side, I am getting a DX7s at a potentially discounted price (assuming its more than $400 for the new model). On the negative side I don’t get a remote. At least this unit has a volume knob which is really important for me so I don’t have to open an app to quickly reduce the volume as I am moving around the living room.

Looks like shenzhenaudio has removed the listing now.

I guess the remote functionality was removed because they are selling this primarily as a headphone amp? Why bother with XLR outputs for an amp then? Perhaps the rumored D50 will include a remote, just to piss me off a bit more :)
I wonder if they removed the functionality or just made it optional to keep the price low. The remote with its hefty machined case is likely not cheap.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I wonder if they removed the functionality or just made it optional to keep the price low. The remote with its hefty machined case is likely not cheap.
I will email them to find out!
Because maybe I will keep my DX7 remote and buy a DX7S!

Choosing between the upgraded components in the DX7s and the remote provided with the DX7 will require some thought. (Or maybe not if the DX7 is no longer available.)

My DX7 might be for sale soon if I choose to buy the DX7S.

Sylafari

I will email them to find out!
Because maybe I will keep my DX7 remote and buy a DX7S!

My DX7 might be for sale soon if I choose to buy the DX7S.

I don't think the new DX7S will have a remote receiver in it if they don't offer a remote control with it, so the DX7 remote won't work with it anyways (I might be wrong but I don't think so?).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't think the new DX7S will have a remote receiver in it if they don't offer a remote control with it, so the DX7 remote won't work with it anyways (I might be wrong but I don't think so?).
Well the OpAmps they are using are more expensive (I think they changed them to the 1612 from 2134 in single channel) and the ES9038Q2M is more expensive and the U208 is more expensive. So maybe they cut the cost a bit and will have the remote seperate only?

Personally I don't use the remote but there are many functions which are almost impossible to change without the remote.... So I wonder how this will work without a remote?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I might be interested in buying your DX7 if I get the remote with it.

I emailed them about the remote, I actually don't ever use the remote unless I need to change a setting that is very hard to do with the click button.

So if I sold my DX7 I would sell it with the remote lol

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I received a message from TPDZ (Topping) tonight, they confirmed that the DX7s will support a remote and they will now sell the remote separate (at a later date) and that the DX7 remote will work with the DX7s (if you have one).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Great. I also heard back that the retail for DX7s will be $499. And that the price that I paid ($299) was special promotion and that actual retail for DX7 is $399. So there is a $100 increase.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Great. I also heard back that the retail for DX7s will be $499. And that the price that I paid ($299) was special promotion and that actual retail for DX7 is $399. So there is a $100 increase.
Yes the retail for the DX7 was $399, I bought mine for $275.
Its a great unit and its replaced most of my other gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you check the max. output levels for unbalanced and balanced outputs on the DX7?
Here you go. These are for 1 Khz, 0 dBFS signal played over US at 44.1 Khz sampling rate:

upload_2018-1-31_22-18-54.png

As you see there, the output is twice as high as Behringer in unbalanced, and four times as high in balanced. It is surprising to see the Behringer have the same level for its balanced and unbalanced outputs.

The DX7 should have plenty of drive for anything you use. It also slightly outperforms its spec (2 volt for unbalanced and 4 volts for balanced).

As I think I noted earlier, using balanced connections I had no trouble driving the JBL LSR305p MK II speakers to high levels without maxing out the volume.

Old Listener

Here you go. These are for 1 Khz, 0 dBFS signal played over US at 44.1 Khz sampling rate:

View attachment 10276

As you see there, the output is twice as high as Behringer in unbalanced, and four times as high in balanced. It is surprising to see the Behringer have the same level for its balanced and unbalanced outputs.

The DX7 should have plenty of drive for anything you use. It also slightly outperforms its spec (2 volt for unbalanced and 4 volts for balanced).

As I think I noted earlier, using balanced connections I had no trouble driving the JBL LSR305p MK II speakers to high levels without maxing out the volume.

Thanks, seeing the results for both the Behringer and the Topping FX7 was quite useful for me.

Top Bottom