• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Here you go. These are for 1 Khz, 0 dBFS signal played over US at 44.1 Khz sampling rate:

View attachment 10276

As you see there, the output is twice as high as Behringer in unbalanced, and four times as high in balanced. It is surprising to see the Behringer have the same level for its balanced and unbalanced outputs.

The DX7 should have plenty of drive for anything you use. It also slightly outperforms its spec (2 volt for unbalanced and 4 volts for balanced).

As I think I noted earlier, using balanced connections I had no trouble driving the JBL LSR305p MK II speakers to high levels without maxing out the volume.

That isn't surprising! Its really got tons of power, I brought it to a meet before and drove every high end headphone with it with no issues.

SpeedyRodent

Here you go. These are for 1 Khz, 0 dBFS signal played over US at 44.1 Khz sampling rate:

View attachment 10276

As you see there, the output is twice as high as Behringer in unbalanced, and four times as high in balanced. It is surprising to see the Behringer have the same level for its balanced and unbalanced outputs.

The DX7 should have plenty of drive for anything you use. It also slightly outperforms its spec (2 volt for unbalanced and 4 volts for balanced).

As I think I noted earlier, using balanced connections I had no trouble driving the JBL LSR305p MK II speakers to high levels without maxing out the volume.

That's good information. I did not realize the output voltage is that low on the Behringer.

I'm curious how well the headphone amp measures on the Dx7. One potential flaw of the headphone amp is the 10 ohm (20 ohm balanced) output impedance. I am probably being nit picky here since this is fairly typical for a TPA 6120 implementation.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I did not realize the output voltage is that low on the Behringer.

The Behringer is USB powered (5Vdc), the Topping plugs into the wall outlet.

I'd guess the difference originates there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's good information. I did not realize the output voltage is that low on the Behringer.

I'm curious how well the headphone amp measures on the Dx7. One potential flaw of the headphone amp is the 10 ohm (20 ohm balanced) output impedance. I am probably being nit picky here since this is fairly typical for a TPA 6120 implementation.
Yes, I plan to measure its headphone amplifier but had to do some other reviews first. :)

But yes, TPA 6120 can become unstable without that inline resistor so it is the nature of the beast.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes, I plan to measure its headphone amplifier but had to do some other reviews first. :)

But yes, TPA 6120 can become unstable without that inline resistor so it is the nature of the beast.
Topping themselves told me this, so they have to explore other headphone Amps in the future if they wish to have a lower resistance. But that many people like the sound of this headphone amplifier which is why they didn't change it in this version.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They will sell the remote separate so you are fine :)
When, where and at what cost? At $499 plus a remote it's not cheap. I wonder how the upcoming Emotiva DC-2 will compare objectively.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
When, where and at what cost? At $499 plus a remote it's not cheap. I wonder how the upcoming Emotiva DC-2 will compare objectively.
The price will probably come down some in time. But they didn't tell me the price of the remote itself.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Topping themselves told me this, so they have to explore other headphone Amps in the future if they wish to have a lower resistance. But that many people like the sound of this headphone amplifier which is why they didn't change it in this version.
I will be testing mine soon but the TI specs for that amp is quite impressive. It has some 123 dB signal to noise ratio or some such thing. It is also current feedback so should have stout drive capability.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I will be testing mine soon but the TI specs for that amp is quite impressive. It has some 123 dB signal to noise ratio or some such thing. It is also current feedback so should have stout drive capability.
Can't wait to see the DX7S measurements! Its actually on sale on massdrop right now!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm really thinking about getting it on MassDrop as its a great discounted price! But I'm torn to know if its really an upgrade vs my DX7 because the DX7 is already so great and sadly the new version doesn't have a lower output impedance which is what I was looking for in the first place since all my headphones are low impedance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sadly the drop only has 3 days left which means you have to make a decision without my measurements.

Seeing how the DX7 comes with a remote and its performance is so good, I personally would not attempt to upgrade.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sadly the drop only has 3 days left which means you have to make a decision without my measurements.

Seeing how the DX7 comes with a remote and its performance is so good, I personally would not attempt to upgrade.
I think you are right and I will hold off on it for now. There will hopefully be another sale and I will get one at that point in time provided the measurements are good!

They already set a pretty high bar with their DX7. Another device I have my eye on is their NX4 DSD, it also uses the 9038Q2M and the U208 but its portable. I could actually have use for a second device like this for night time runs/walks around my block!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another device I have my eye on is their NX4 DSD, it also uses the 9038Q2M and the U208 but its portable.
Seems cute! :) Let me get through the current products I am testing and I will request more of their gear to test.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know a number of you are waiting for headphone measurements of DX7. I was almost done with them, only to find a mistake so I have to redo them. :(

I thought for now I report on the output impedance:

upload_2018-2-8_22-10-15.png

So yes, as speculated their headphone amp IC requires a minimum of 10 ohm resistor on the output to avoid instability. To the extent you have a headphone with impedance that wildly changes, then the frequency response can be impacted if it drops below 70 ohms or so (1 dB error).

SpeedyRodent

I know a number of you are waiting for headphone measurements of DX7. I was almost done with them, only to find a mistake so I have to redo them. :(

I thought for now I report on the output impedance:

View attachment 10467

So yes, as speculated their headphone amp IC requires a minimum of 10 ohm resistor on the output to avoid instability. To the extent you have a headphone with impedance that wildly changes, then the frequency response can be impacted if it drops below 70 ohms or so (1 dB error).

Any chance you confirm if the 4 pin xlr headphone output is a true differential output? If this is the case, the xlr headphone output would be close to 20 ohms output impedance.

Top Bottom