• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok, so by default the original DX5 (mqa) comes with FIR 3. Which should be best for listening ?
FL1 may give you some extra sparkle if you have young and healthy ears.

Best to just compare them yourself by switching back and forth in the menu. If you can't hear a difference, that's just fine. There are more important things to worry about.

41nd

FL1 may give you some extra sparkle if you have young and healthy ears.

Best to just compare them yourself by switching back and forth in the menu. If you can't hear a difference, that's just fine. There are more important things to worry about.
Well, i just fast read this wonderful topic:
And it seems the FIR 1 is more analytical? more precise ? And FIR3 is more analog? more spicy ?

Veri

Master Contributor
And it seems the FIR 1 is more analytical? more precise ? And FIR3 is more analog? more spicy ?
Like static already said, just give it a try. Pretty big chance you won't reliably hear much of a difference. Others claiming so shouldn't affect your own hearing... ;)

HDavidson

It has already happened several times: after switching the RCA output to the headphone output, the sound in the left channel disappeared. Independent of input (opt/USB) and output (RCA/P). After turning off and then turning on the device, the sound appears again. What could this be and should I be worried?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has already happened several times: after switching the RCA output to the headphone output, the sound in the left channel disappeared. Independent of input (opt/USB) and output (RCA/P). After turning off and then turning on the device, the sound appears again. What could this be and should I be worried?

Does the unit make a clicking sound when switching between headphone and line outputs? (my EX5 does). If so, then a couple of relays are being used to switch the output. It sounds like the relay for the left channel is sticking (not switching reliably).

HDavidson

Did not pay attention. I don't think there is any relay sound. I'll check it in the evening.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did not pay attention. I don't think there is any relay sound. I'll check it in the evening.
They are in there...

1695292326909.png

HDavidson

So far, this has happened 4-5 times. I'll keep watching. Is this defect considered a breakdown or not? If the sound disappears completely, I will return it. But after returning the device to the seller, the sound may appear again in his repair shop.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, this has happened 4-5 times. I'll keep watching. Is this defect considered a breakdown or not? If the sound disappears completely, I will return it. But after returning the device to the seller, the sound may appear again in his repair shop.

The device should be able to switch between outputs without loosing a channel, so yes, I would consider it a fault.

If you are concerned about the relay 'fixing' itself when returned (which is quite possible as it's a mechanical device and could get temporarily 'loosened up' in transit), then you could make of video of the fault and send it to the seller before requesting a return.

41nd

Hmm, following someone else in this thread i have asked [email protected] for the latest firmware for (MQA) DX5 and they said it's.. 1.42 ! Now i'm waiting the reply with the actual downloading links or attachment since the main website lists only 1.38 :cool:

HDavidson

He was traded. This is my third DX5 Lite in 6 months.
Unsuccessful model, series of production? In case of a third breakdown - money back.

SubcrewJimmy

Hmm, following someone else in this thread i have asked [email protected] for the latest firmware for (MQA) DX5 and they said it's.. 1.42 ! Now i'm waiting the reply with the actual downloading links or attachment since the main website lists only 1.38 :cool:
Did u get V1.42 firmware?
can u share it if u got it?

George Andrews

Hi all. This is my first post here, necessitated by a malfunctioning unit. Whilst listening to some music via Spotify blueetooth, my DX5 randomly tried to update (without any prompting or user input), which obviously did not work. My unit had never been connected via USB to my computer, so no driver had ever been installed, nor any firmware update attempted. After reading through this thread, I have seen that others have had this problem. The display alternates between "upgrading...", "upgrade success", "CPLD update" with constant click sounds, and after a while of cycling through this, the display finally says "upgrade failed" and the clicking stops.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting steps, power cycling, restarts to no avail. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the settings menu to reset the unit and cannot perform a firmware update as the unit is not recognised by my computer (yes, after installing the relevant driver), therefore I am unable to apply any firmware fix. One other poster has mentioned that he has fixed his unit by attempting a firmware update with the ribbon cable from the front display section to the main board disconnected and isolated. See thread below

How does one open up the DX5 in order to attempt this fix? How many and which screws? Do I need to remove the front panel volume knob to gain access? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, George

Blackfyre

Will I hear a difference between this and my DX3 pro+?

Short answer, no.

If you're already not happy with the sound DX3 Pro+, switch to something not as analytical.

For example I tried DX5 Lite, then DX7 Pro Plus with my Focal Clear OG. Nothing worth the price difference, didn't even notice the difference 95% of the time. And tried multiple other DAC/AMPs until I was recommended to test SMSL ones. Tried the mk3, then went down to the C200, and finally settled on the SMSL DL200.

I prefer the less analytical sound of SMSL compared to the more analytical Topping line-up.

C200 is close in price to your DX3 Pro+, so you can try it and if you like it sell your DX3. If you don't like the C200 return it within 30 days to Amazon for example, choosing it didn't meet your expectations.

NewBornold

Thanks!
Im a mix engineer so I love that Topping is so detailed
So jes i do love my DX3 pro, just wondered if you could hear even more detail with one of the higher models.

Top Bottom