• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Boltman92124

How do their USB drivers compare on Windows? Do they have some kind of low latency ASIO/etc support?

The DX3Pro+ should be able to drive a Hifiman Edition XS right?

How much practical improvement a L30II brings compared to DX3Pro+ (100 vs 88 SNR@50mV)? And what DAC could be paired to make the most out of it (DX1, D10, E30, DX3Pro+ itself)?
Be nice if they squeezed line inputs into the DX3Pro+. I do like the size of the unit though. And the wall wart is reasonably sized unlike the huge L50. BTW, the K7 is updated to include BT. Kinda gives it the edge over the DX3Pro now I think.

pioterd

The DX3Pro+ should be able to drive a Hifiman Edition XS right?

How much practical improvement a L30II brings compared to DX3Pro+
DX3pro+ can drive even AKG K1000, as long as you can live with about 95dB maximum SPL. Enough as a recommendation?:) XS’s are much easier to drive.

I used to pair dx3pro+ with L50, and on my headphones (k612pro 101db\V, dt150 103db/V) there was completely nothing better with this L50 amp-beast;-) are you planning to buy something like HE-6 in future? If not, dx3pro+ should never be a limitation.

Question- Is there a sonic advantage(using line outputs) of using the unit in DAC mode vs. headphone + Line out with the volume set to maximum? Also, if using the unit with volume control, is this a digital volume pot or analog?
No sonic advantage, but in some measurements fixed modes may give better results than pre-amp modes, where signal doesn’t go straight from DAC but passes through amp section as well. dx3pro+ has digital pot.

Boltman92124

DX3pro+ can drive even AKG K1000, as long as you can live with about 95dB maximum SPL. Enough as a recommendation?:) XS’s are much easier to drive.

I used to pair dx3pro+ with L50, and on my headphones (k612pro 101db\V, dt150 103db/V) there was completely nothing better with this L50 amp-beast;-) are you planning to buy something like HE-6 in future? If not, dx3pro+ should never be a limitation.

No sonic advantage, but in some measurements fixed modes may give better results than pre-amp modes, where signal doesn’t go straight from DAC but passes through amp section as well. dx3pro+ has digital pot.
That's cool. No reason to use DAC mode in my case then. I'm pleased with the TV sound via toslink too. Nice to adjust volume with the remote. I have an old school line stage with no remote.

novorei

My headphone and IEM is nothing to write about but will eventually upgrade to some low cost Hifiman.
I can get a L30 II for cheap. Same for DX3Pro+.
FiiO K7 I can't get at a reasonable price. Does balanced out help with ground loop and noise from USB/PC? What alleviates it (besides Toslink)?

Boltman92124

My headphone and IEM is nothing to write about but will eventually upgrade to some low cost Hifiman.
FiiO K7 I can't get at a reasonable price. Does balanced out help with ground loop and noise from USB/PC? What alleviates it (besides Toslink)?
I think the HFM Deva Pro looks interesting at a nice price. Designed for portable use too with a BT option. I imagine they don't need tons of power.

pioterd

Does balanced out help with ground loop and noise from USB/PC?
I do not know your system but ground loop very often is caused by the user, by too many or not enough groundings in the system, and one of the reasons may be using cheap, not proper balanced cables or power supplies. Noises from usb can be filtered out by various adapters, iFi for example has such in their offer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced out to headphones won't help with a ground loop (since the headphones have no connection back to ground to form part of the loop.

Are you experiencing ground loop noise in your system? If so, what is the audio chain looking like?

novorei

Balanced out to headphones won't help with a ground loop (since the headphones have no connection back to ground to form part of the loop.

Are you experiencing ground loop noise in your system? If so, what is the audio chain looking like?
Appreciate the eagerness to help. I have no problems with ground loop yet. But prefer not to have a problem rather than troubleshoot one.
Anyway, I will just get the dxpro3+ and start climbing the upgrade staircase when a problem arises or when the upgrade itch hits.

pioterd

@JohnYang1997 could you please clarify two things?
- is it worth to use stronger power supply for dx3pro+? For example 15V/2A instead of 1A? Is the device going to take advantage of it?
- 6dB is the lowest gain setting with it and it provides max 2V to headphone out with that setting. Does it mean that the native setting for the Dac is 1V (-6dB)? Or is it just marketing to call gain settings +6 and +19 instead of 0 and +13?

alexdi

Super quick review:

I bought this a few days ago. My ancient Objective2 died and I used my Behringer UMC22 mic interface to drive my HD600s for a few weeks. I noticed in that time I wasn't really engaging with music like I used to, though it still sounded good.

A/B-testing with the UMC, I can't tell you what's different. They sound very similar for a few seconds. But if I listen any longer, something about.. the vocals on the DX3? The perception of such clean separation of elements? I'm not sure. But it pulls me in. I was willing meetings to end today so I could dig deeper in my Spotify playlist.

Is the DX3 better than than Objective2? Realistically, not that I can tell. I thought that little amp/DAC was brilliant and put thousands of joyful hours into it. I doubt the DX3 would exist if not for it. But the former was $50 less with wildly better build quality and feature set. I don't love the clicky volume knob. Otherwise, it's brilliant.

Recently it was time to replace my Fidelio X2HR and on Amazon Prime Day I ran into a good deal for the Edition XS. Since I was running a Creative G6 I decided to also grab a deal on the Topping DX3 Pro+. Amazing DAC/AMP so it seemed.

So I noticed that on low gain the volume was sitting at -20db to achieve a decent volume for daily use. That made me wonder how much juice was in there for when I'd go into a nice listening session. So I cranked it up, at -15 it was at a good volume for a nice saturdaynight listening session paired with a couple of beers. I noticed highs became distorted slightly, too harsh. I know that after listening for a while one tends to turn the volume up a bit more so went for a -10, the sound became really distorted.

To compare I connected my Creative G6. To reach the regular volume for daily use it sits at 20%. I reach a good music volume at 30% and there is so much more juice left in the Creative to drive it to volumes the Topping I got somehow cannot achieve, and it still sounded good. The Topping DX3 Pro+ should supposed to be more than plenty. I guess maybe a faulty? Anyway, I returned it this morning and for now back on my G6.

Funnily enough, in the past I had the exact same issue with the Fidelio X2HR and the Ifi Zen Dac V1, it had to run at around 3 oclock to produce some decent volumes. Hence why I hesitated to purchase the Ifi Zen Dac V2.

So I'm kinda wondering where to go next... Fiio K5 Pro or maybe go for a stack like the Ifi Zen Dac V2 + Zen Can

Pursuit

Got DX3Pro+, mostly for switching between headphone and speaker for my desktop. Not impressed with sound quality, sounds the same as Qudelix 5K on HD660. I guess once SINAD is above 80DB, it doesn't really matter.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess once SINAD is above 80DB, it doesn't really matter.
well, yes - many people have been saying the same.

Most people seem unable to detect distortion below about -45dB - in this case, if you have no audible noise, then 80dB Sinad is going to be audibly the same as 120dB Sinad.

Pursuit

Most people seem unable to detect distortion below about -45dB - in this case, if you have no audible noise, then 80dB Sinad is going to be audibly the same as 120dB Sinad.
I think that 45dB is believable. I have a relatively quiet office and still it measures around 20~30DB with an Iphone app. When I use the speakers I normally keep them under 80 and I don't notice the ambient background unless the AC kicks in.

pioterd

Edition XS
Rated as 18Ohm, in practice measurements say these headphones are more like 15ohm. So you are pushing DX3pro+ into the region which is barely usable. If you want to listen that loud, with voltage output close to 2V, you need amplifier which will not be current limited with such low impedance. Or switch to headphones with at least 20ohm impedance, results will be much better with dx3pro+.

Rated as 18Ohm, in practice measurements say these headphones are more like 15ohm. So you are pushing DX3pro+ into the region which is barely usable. If you want to listen that loud, with voltage output close to 2V, you need amplifier which will not be current limited with such low impedance. Or switch to headphones with at least 20ohm impedance, results will be much better with dx3pro+.
So, any suggestions for an amp?

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Hi all - does anyone know how to disable the "auto on" feature? Even when my laptop is asleep, the DX3 Pro+ turns on every few minutes, and starts warming up. TIA!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi all - does anyone know how to disable the "auto on" feature? Even when my laptop is asleep, the DX3 Pro+ turns on every few minutes, and starts warming up. TIA!
According to the manual there's a setting for the auto standby:
Screenshot_20230722-220043_Drive.png
What I'm unclear on is whether that only affects the auto off function, or also auto on.

Top Bottom