• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

nothingman

I found out that it was my cabel tv. I do not know what this has to do with the power supply of my flat, but if I detache it from my tv the buzz is gone, (even when the tv is not connected to power)

The DX3P+ has some really weird noise behavior (see my post). I don’t get any noise through my headphones (HD6XX) but it sends noise back into my preamp which can’t be solved without just unplugging the DX3P+ altogether. Not the end of the world for me since I only listen to this setup occasionally, but says something about the design. That said, I do really enjoy the product and it’s been otherwise reliable gets the job done.

torcid

I did a lot of research before deciding on the DX3 Pro +. Now...with all the QC issues...I'm back to square one.

Can anyone recommend a comparably priced and featured DAC that also tests well?

I'll use it in my desktop system with an Mac and powered monitors so need RCA outs and a volume control. Also, I use headphones, but just for voice track recording (3.5mm jack although I can always use an adaptor if DAC has a different size jack).

Spend $19 more for the SMSL C200. Much better value DAC.

No, it has issues as well...

There is no perfect DAC in that 200 Bucks price region. Topping, Fiio, AOSHIDA...
They are all designed in China. And they are still learning...

Fiio may be the best in terms of built/quality controls.

You could try out the Fiio K5Pro ESS.

I had a Fiio K5Pro (non ESS) and now the DX3Pro+.
Topping SW Drivers are better.

Last edited:

SMc

I did a lot of research before deciding on the DX3 Pro +. Now...with all the QC issues...I'm back to square one.

Can anyone recommend a comparably priced and featured DAC that also tests well?

I'll use it in my desktop system with an Mac and powered monitors so need RCA outs and a volume control. Also, I use headphones, but just for voice track recording (3.5mm jack although I can always use an adaptor if DAC has a different size jack).
JDS Atom stack? If you don't mind two boxes. The Element III is comparable but more than the DX3 Pro +.

ELOJR

Thanks, nfsgp. I didn't know about the C200.

It may be too early for this, but...Has anyone had experience with SMSL customer support? If so, were they responsive?

Although any brand can have a faulty unit or two, I want a device that I plug in and enjoy. No ongoing common issues.

torcid

Thanks, nfsgp. I didn't know about the C200.

It may be too early for this, but...Has anyone had experience with SMSL customer support? If so, were they responsive?

Although any brand can have a faulty unit or two, I want a device that I plug in and enjoy. No ongoing common issues.

These are all companies from Shenzhen - Guangdong... If you want desent quality control, than better search for a non chinese company. But they will not offer these features for 200 Bucks... You will have to ship faulty units back to china... no quality customer support...

Last edited:

Neutronman

Just purchased one to replace my AKM Fiio K5 Pro. Probably not going to notice a major difference with my Hifiman 400se's, just fancied a change. I do need a recommendation. Currently I have this hooked up to my PC via USB. I would like a pair of small stereo speakers to connect as well, so that I can choose between headphones and speakers. What would your recommendations be for small pc speakers. I guess I don't need active speakers as this dac/amp has enough power for small speakers, but you tell me if this is the case.
TIA.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just purchased one to replace my AKM Fiio K5 Pro. Probably not going to notice a major difference with my Hifiman 400se's, just fancied a change. I do need a recommendation. Currently I have this hooked up to my PC via USB. I would like a pair of small stereo speakers to connect as well, so that I can choose between headphones and speakers. What would your recommendations be for small pc speakers. I guess I don't need active speakers as this dac/amp has enough power for small speakers, but you tell me if this is the case.
TIA.
The amp part is actually just for headphones.. so yeah, you need active speakers or desktop amp plus passive speakers.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Makes sense. Any suggestions for active speakers that would connect back to this Dac?
Would be best to ask this in a new topic, and make sure to state your location so people have a bit of clue what is available in your area

asteroth

Guys, can you please tell me if the Plus version of this DAC, also has this noisy volume control as the non-Plus version shown in the video?

vlad.stoian98

I have a question. How can i connect this dac amp to my macbook air (it only has usb c inputs). Is an ifi adaptor good enoug? Thanks!

jpanda

So this dac amp has a usb a to usb a for connection, am I correct?
15685-topping-dx3-proplus-inpage9.jpg

the sold package includes a USB B to A cable.
You can buy a USB B to C cable to connect it directly to your MacBook Air.

Top Bottom