• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

torcid

I just measured the external temp of BOTH my DX 3 pro + using an IR temp gun. In DAC mode only, 102.7°F/39.3°C! The external amps they are connected to are only 91.9°F/33.3°C. Is that normal for the Topping? I’ve had external DACs before, and none of them gets this hot.

I noticed that that when i tested it with my hand, too. It's getting a bit warmer than my old Fiio K5Pro (AKM). But nothing to worry about.

Still lukewarm, not hot. Ca +5c i would estimate.

normal. DAC only mode will not shut the HP amp off. Topping products are very energy inefficient. If you don't like it just return.

Compared to a K5 Pro it's more likely the compacter case. The power adapter is external, too. So i guess it's the smaller case.

As you already said. The AMP will not shut down in the DAC mode. But don't know if that would be the case with competing products in DAC mode?

Last edited:

audiofun

I noticed that that when i tested it with my hand, too. It's getting a bit warmer than my old Fiio K5Pro (AKM). But nothing to worry about.

Still lukewarm, not hot. Ca +5c i would estimate.

Compared to a K5 Pro it's more likely the compacter case. The power adapter is external, too. So i guess it's the smaller case.

As you already said. The AMP will not shut down in the DAC mode. But don't know if that would be the case with competing products in DAC mode?
DX3Pro+ should be around 10C above your room environment.

Other than topping's device, I've never seen device with a SMPS that needs 2W power even when turned off.
Power consumption is never taken care of in Topping's design.

torcid

DX3Pro+ should be around 10C above your room environment.

Other than topping's device, I've never seen device with a SMPS that needs 2W power even when turned off.
Power consumption is never taken care of in Topping's design.

But 10c above room temp is what i mentioned. Lukewarm, nothing to worry about at all. Just slightly warmer than the K5 Pro. But that's the much smaller case size i guess.

The DX3Pro+ never turns off completly. Only if you interrupt it's power supply. It changes to standby mode.

I agree, power consumption is a bit to high in standby mode. Maybe they can tune that via firmware update. 0,5 - 1w would be fine.

Last edited:

fquails

But 10c above room temp is what i mentioned. Lukewarm, nothing to worry about at all. Just slightly warmer than the K5 Pro. But that's the much smaller case size i guess.

The DX3Pro+ never turns off completly. Only if you interrupt it's power supply. It changes to standby mode.

I agree, power consumption is a bit to high in standby mode. Maybe they can tune that via firmware update. 0,5 - 1w would be fine.
I have both my DX3 Pro+ units plugged into my amps’ switched power outlets, so the power to both DX3 Pro+ units are shut off when the amps are turned off. My home gets to about 28°C in the summer when it is 38-40°C outside, and we are comfortable with that. Any cooler and we get sleepy. I am not going to crank the A/C just to keep my DACs cool. I’ve ordered heatsinks for both units—should arrive tomorrow and hopefully help keep them cooler. I am beginning to think I should have gone with the SMSL SU6, as I have no need for a headphone amp.

torcid

I have both my DX3 Pro+ units plugged into my amps’ switched power outlets, so the power to both DX3 Pro+ units are shut off when the amps are turned off. My home gets to about 28°C in the summer when it is 38-40°C outside, and we are comfortable with that. Any cooler and we get sleepy. I am not going to crank the A/C just to keep my DACs cool. I’ve ordered heatsinks for both units—should arrive tomorrow and hopefully help keep them cooler. I am beginning to think I should have gone with the SMSL SU6, as I have no need for a headphone amp.

28c in the room! Okay than i can understand that you use extern cooling solutions ^^. But with normal room temps from 18-22c it's no problem and you don't need to add anything. The Fiio K5Pro can be shut down. But the very handy standby function of the DX3Pro+ is really nice. It doesn't need to be turned on/off. It does it automatically with turning you PC on/off

spacessound

I'm pretty thrilled with the DX3 Pro+ after one night of use, and it's everything I expected it to be based on the review here as well as my personal experiences with Topping products. -:)

It is going to be used in my bedroom setup for TV/movies (80%) and music (20%), with TV sound via optical and Blu-Ray/CD discs via coaxial from my Sony UBP-X800, either in preamp mode with my Tannoy Reveal 502's or as a headphone amp with my Fiio FD3 Pro IEMs. Last night I used it exclusively in preamp mode and tonight I'll be trying it out with my IEMs.

What a great time we are in with all the excellent budget gear available!!
Totally agree in a similar situation. I retired a pair of quality powered monitors and By just adding this thing for 170€ I have an absolutely fantastic sounding system ….stopping me getting out of bed though.

torcid

Totally agree in a similar situation. I retired a pair of quality powered monitors and By just adding this thing for 170€ I have an absolutely fantastic sounding system ….stopping me getting out of bed though.

Yeah agree, too! I use it for games and movies with DTS X/Dolby Atmos Headphone and in Stereo for music. Great device!

Had the Fiio K5 Pro (AKM) before. But in terms of usability the DX3 is in another league. Turns itself on/off with your PC, remote, output selection, BT...

Sold the K5 Pro -10€ and bought the DX3 for 179€. Good choice :)

Maybe the overcurrent protection still kicks in a bit to fast in certain circumstances with newest firmware update. But nothing that can't be adressed in future updates.

Last edited:

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Earlier today, I was presented with no sound out of the DX3 Pro+, except for a low hum at max volume... no headphone I tried on the HPA out worked, but they all worked on the laptop headphone jack.

I was concerned that I'd somehow blown it up, and spent half an hour troubleshooting... but it turns out my toddler had found the remote, and had pushed some sequence of buttons that required me to unplug the DX3 Pro+ to reset. Good times!

DrFlimFlam

is there any way to normalize volume on windows using a usb connection?

Speaker-Properties-Enhancements-Loudness-Equalization-Check.png

this option is missing and was very helpful for some competitive gaming.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Thanks for patch link, it's been installed

Bleib

Major Contributor
is there any way to normalize volume on windows using a usb connection?

Speaker-Properties-Enhancements-Loudness-Equalization-Check.png

this option is missing and was very helpful for some competitive gaming.
This is where I prefer using a soundcard like AE-5 or 7 instead... you'll likely have to find a software solution for this

rarewolf

normal. DAC only mode will not shut the HP amp off. Topping products are very energy inefficient. If you don't like it just return.

There was a post in this topic (many pages ago) that implied the DX3’s case temperature went down after disabling Bluetooth, but I never saw a confirmation(?)

I just ordered my own DX3P+ this week, and although this DAC/Amp is rich for inputs/outputs, by intent is to use it solely for connecting to my iPhone via USB and listening via IEMs & HPs. However, I can ealily imagine wanting to connect via Bluetooth occasionally. I’d like to avoid the heating (even as I live in Newfoundland and heat is generally considered a positive side effect), but not if I have to go to the menu every time I want to enable Bt… or, is it easier to enable/disable Bt with the remote?

rarewolf

Earlier today, I was presented with no sound out of the DX3 Pro+, except for a low hum at max volume... no headphone I tried on the HPA out worked, but they all worked on the laptop headphone jack.

I was concerned that I'd somehow blown it up, and spent half an hour troubleshooting... but it turns out my toddler had found the remote, and had pushed some sequence of buttons that required me to unplug the DX3 Pro+ to reset. Good times!

… which reminds me of my 1st attempt at installing a touch screen display. Rather than sensing touch, the display used lights along 2 sides with light sensors opposite. I came down the next morning with my computer crashed requiring a boot into safe mode. It happened again the next night, although resulting symptoms were different. I didn’t figure it out until, in the dark, I observed a mosquito attracted to the brighter objects on the display.

torcid

There was a post in this topic (many pages ago) that implied the DX3’s case temperature went down after disabling Bluetooth, but I never saw a confirmation(?)

I just ordered my own DX3P+ this week, and although this DAC/Amp is rich for inputs/outputs, by intent is to use it solely for connecting to my iPhone via USB and listening via IEMs & HPs. However, I can ealily imagine wanting to connect via Bluetooth occasionally. I’d like to avoid the heating (even as I live in Newfoundland and heat is generally considered a positive side effect), but not if I have to go to the menu every time I want to enable Bt… or, is it easier to enable/disable Bt with the remote?

You can just on/off it via remote. If it's off than it will stay off after standby. There are always FW updates for the DX3+. Maybe that fixed BT heating.

This is what Topping service has to say about the constant HP ERR issues with the DX3 Pro+ ( Thanks for saving my headphones from burning i guess)

Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Based on the audio file you provided, we have conducted relevant tests. We detected that the bass of this song is so low that it triggers the protection of DX3 pro+, which is likely to burn the headphones if it is not protected.

DX3 pro+ is equipped with headphone protection circuit. When you listen to this song with headphones, please lower the volume.

Best Regards

Top Bottom