• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DACs with a phone as an input

TableTub

I have looked and looked and cannot find a solid answer for my question. That's why I decided to finally make an account and ask rather than continue to lurk. I basically want to buy a topping D10s or an E30. I mostly use my phone as an input device because thats where I keep all my music locally stored. After research I know that both of these DACs can take input from a phone. My dilemma is that I am not certain the D10s can run off usb input from my phone alone, I found vague mentions of where the phone couldn’t supply enough power to D10s on its own. The E30 however, does not have that issue as it can make use of an external power supply. I would prefer to save my $50 and get the D10s because I don’t really need the extra functionality of the E30 but if the D10s can’t run of USB alone, then..... I just want to know if anyone has tried to use a D10s or an E30 of USB input alone to supply power and data, and how well it worked for them. Thanks in advance.

gvl

Major Contributor
Definitely get a self powered DAC to be used with a phone. Even if the phone can supply enough juice it will be a big battery drain. Another option is a powered USB hub in between, but it's not as tidy.

Last edited:

linuxfan

OP
T

TableTub

Definitely get a self powered DAC to be used with a phone. Even if the phone can supply enough juice it will be a big battery drain. Another option is a powered USB hub in between, but it's not as tidy.

I guess so, but I don’t really mind the power draw. I currently use an SMSL idea DAC amp combo as a preamp with a dedicated amplifier. The SMSL is beginning to show its age and I can hear electric interference in my headphones now. That’s why I was looking to upgrade and have a dedicated amp and DAC. I can either of the two topping DACs from aliexpress. Thats the only place I can have them reliably and easily shipped to where I live.

OP
T

TableTub

TableTub, there are significant differences between Android and iOS phones, and you didn't mention which type you have.
If iPhone, info here -
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/bypassing-ipad-dac.895088/#post-13316707

If Android, info here -
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...tem-need-guidance-badly.873951/#post-12832320
If you don't want the DAC to draw power from the phone, get an OTG Cable with External USB Power. Example -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161955015255

Thank you for the information. I have an android that I’ve been using with my current setup. I've been using the Samsung music app. I have to say that the sound that I get from my phone, to me, doesn’t sound much different from when I had my setup running off a pc through foobar using the same files. And while the OTG Cable with External USB Power is certainly an option, it just seems like a messy option to me.

linuxfan

I don’t really mind the power draw.
It's more a question of whether your phone "minds" the power draw.
I understand that Android has a current limit for accessories attached via OTG connection of 500mA. And according to this -
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-usb-dac-and-bridge-review.14859/post-787635
the current draw of the Topping D10s is approximately 500mA - so you're at the upper threshold of what an Android phone can handle. And even then, the phone's battery would be drained rapidly.

Katji

Major Contributor
It's not worth it - even if it works, it'll start giving shxt when the battery charge gets low. Which'll happen several times a day and shorten the battery life. Just the Samsung music player app chows the battery anyway.

OP
T

TableTub

It's more a question of whether your phone "minds" the power draw.
I understand that Android has a current limit for accessories attached via OTG connection of 500mA. And according to this -
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-usb-dac-and-bridge-review.14859/post-787635
the current draw of the Topping D10s is approximately 500mA - so you're at the upper threshold of what an Android phone can handle. And even then, the phone's battery would be drained rapidly.

That is really useful information, I had absolutely no clue of the actual figures. I also have to commend you on digging this information up, I could't find it. I found a guy who said his galaxy s9 worked with his D10s and seeing as I have a galaxy s20, i think it should work for me too. I do agree that being right at the thresh-hold is rather concerning. From a quick google search, I can see the articles that talk about 500mA being the limit for android date back to 2016. It may be possible that the limit has gone up since then. But perhaps it would be better just not to risk it and get the E30 instead (since it can make use of an external power supply).

OP
T

TableTub

It's not worth it - even if it works, it'll start giving shxt when the battery charge gets low. Which'll happen several times a day and shorten the battery life. Just the Samsung music player app chows the battery anyway.

I get like a decent 4-5 hours of playback using my phone with the SMSL idea on a full charge. Thats usually been enough for me.

gvl

Major Contributor
You won't know if your phone can supply enough power until you try it or you find a positive confirmation someone had success with exactly the same devices that you have. The D10s doesn't seem to be designed to be powered from the phone. If you try it and it works and you can live with the battery drain all is good, if not you can add a powered hub or powered OTG cable and still pay less than if you go with the E30, which doesn't come with an AC adapter BTW.

OP
T

TableTub

I know it doesn't come with an adapter and I have a bunch of 5V adapters lying around. I think I could possibly source a linear power supply if the need really arises. That aside, in light of recent revelations (many of which were imparted to me on this thread), I'm going to forgo over the D10s. I'm looking at the E30 and the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II. Both have almost identical internals and from everything I've read on the reviews by amir, both seem to be great little DACs that are very close in performance. The only question now is which performs better purely as a DAC. It seems to me that the topping narrowly edges out the SMSL in performance. Any last wise insights for me about the two before I make my purchase?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just get a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro or E35. Problem solved! :) Why dead set on the Toppings?

OP
T

TableTub

Just get a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro or E35. Problem solved! :) Why dead set on the Toppings?
Well, I already have a similar device that I'm using as a DAC. It's a combo but since it doesn’t have enough juice to power my headphones alone, I plug it into a dedicated amp. I want a dedicated DAC to match my amp and from the reviews of the sonata that amir posted, the topping out performs the sonata purely as a DAC. And as for why I'm looking at topping, it's because the only place I can get any audio gear shipped to me from is aliexpress. The only things they reliably carry are Chinese brands like SMSL, FiiO, Toppping and so on. I hope that answers your question.

linuxfan

We're talking about a fixed-location audio playback setup, right? So a desktop DAC like the D10s, or E30, or Sanskrit 10th II are perfectly valid choices for a DAC ... assuming you have a half-decent amp and speakers.
The bigger issue is the choice of a smartphone as source device.
I mostly use my phone as an input device because that's where I keep all my music locally stored.
So your entire music collection was downloaded on your phone, and stored only on your phone? Surely it exists elsewhere - on some other computer, or hard drive, or in the cloud?
If so, configure some form of proper music server, and free your phone to be used as a phone!

OP
T

TableTub

We're talking about a fixed-location audio playback setup, right? So a desktop DAC like the D10s, or E30, or Sanskrit 10th II are perfectly valid choices for a DAC ... assuming you have a half-decent amp and speakers.
The bigger issue is the choice of a smartphone as source device.

So your entire music collection was downloaded on your phone, and stored only on your phone? Surely it exists elsewhere - on some other computer, or hard drive, or in the cloud?
If so, configure some form of proper music server, and free your phone to be used as a phone!
I used to have a backup of my collection on my mac but it bricked itself about a year ago and it took all of my data with it. I had a spare laptop that also had a second backup, but I lent it to a friend and she just broke it by accidentally kicking it or something (it was a while ago so I don't really remember ). Now I just never bothered to move my collection to my new laptop because it seemed like a lot of effort. I have about 70 gb worth of music on my phone and it only exists there. Also it is a desk setup.

linuxfan

So your entire music collection is stored only on a portable device which is probably carried around by you every day. If that device is dropped, or lost, no more music collection!
DAC discussion aside, I think you should acquire an external hard drive, and back up your music collection ASAP. I suggest to not back up to your personal computer - we all periodically acquire new computers, and the changeover process is time consuming when it involves transferring large data archives, such as music.

And later, I suggest you browse through the "Home Music Servers, Computers and Streamers" section of this forum.

OP
T

TableTub

You’re absolutely right. I will get to that, eventually. I will also definitely browse through that section of the forums.

OP
T

TableTub

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...put-and-coax-or-optical-out.13353/post-402850 , here look at no 3 and 4 ... I use my DAP shanling m0 (could be a mobile phone too) to connect via a usb-y cable using Topping d10. There's a mobile usb battery involved too or you can get power usb plug or from laptop etc.
I gotta hand it to you, thats some real A class engineering you got there. Thank you for the insight but I'm gonna spend a little more on the E30 so I don’t DIY any power solutions.

OP
T

TableTub

I finally got my DAC and thought I'd leave some feedback in case anyone needs help with a similar issue. For starters, I have to thank everyone who contributed to this forum. Without them I couldn't have made the right decision. As for how things turned out, I ended up up buying the E30 over the D10s because I had concerns about whether my phone could actually run it on its own. On paper it seemed like my phone could barely manage to do it but I know now that it couldn’t have. That’s why I'm glad I listened to the users on this forum and got the E30 instead, not only could my phone not run it off USB but nor could my laptop (Macbook pro 13 2020). I had to use a power brick with the supplied power cable to get it to run. Maybe it could run off a pc usb port but I don’t have one to test that out. With a power supply connected the DAC works flawlessly with both my phone and laptop, I didn't need to download any drivers to get it to work. Also, I use a usb B to usb C wire but the wire supplied in the box works with a dongle too. I do have one minor grievance with the DAC, it gets just as hot in standby/sleep as it would if it were continuously in use. That coupled with the fact that I live in a very hot climate with air conditioning that isn’t running when I'm not in the room, makes me uncomfortable leaving it plugged it so I pull the plug when its not in use. That's about everything (and please ignore things in my setup, I intend to tidy them up).

Attachments

• IMG-20210710-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210710-WA0002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG-20210710-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210710-WA0003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 590
Top Bottom