• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac preference Fixed output or variable

Theta

I own 2 Dacs, both recommended by Amir/ Topping D10s and RME adi 2 Dac. I am using the Topping because it is a "Dac only" with fixed output to my preamp.
It appear to be a better solution because the preamp output of the RME is supposedly not too great. I have never done a AB comparison myself. Any opinions?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My DAC with digital attenuation available is not attenuated and feeds a preamp.

The DAC's balanced maximum output is about 12 volts (23dBu). The preamp accepts that level.

Were I not using a suitable preamp I would attenuate the DAC's ouput via its digital attenuation, or possibly try the internal -10dB and -20dB jumpers..

The amplifier sensitivity is a claimed 2.53Vrms.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here you go:
undefined (1).png

If you set both the D10S and ADI-2 DAC to a reference level of 2Vrms, then the Topping wil outperform it by almost 5dB.
This is not because the RME has a poor quality preamp, but because it has a much higher maximum output voltage.

If you need a reference level of 1.7V or less, then the RME will win every time.
Ditto if you need more than 2V, since the Topping simply can't output such voltages.

Mikig

I use fixed output at 0dB in the DAC and go to the preamp. I have read in many Amirm tests that in many DACs the maximum performance is achieved with the Dac volume at maximum. Actually mine goes to +2db, but I noticed that a slight distortion appears...

Top Bottom