• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

xxxzeddiexxx

Just did a fresh windows 10 install.
Still the same glitches, pops and cracks...
I'll cry and troubleshoot tomorrow...

The same problem like you with Topping E50, SMSL m200 and SMSL m500 MKii. In fact, the problem come from the Windows 10.
The problem was solved 100% with Linux Ubuntu. I installed the last version of the Linux Ubuntu in parallel with Windows 10 and everything is perfect.

Roland68

Major Contributor
You could easily isolate the problem by trying your laptop with Volumio for PC. Installation can be performed on a USB drive or SD card without touching your Windows installation. Not an hour effort....

xxxzeddiexxx

Did a complete format of my ssd and a new windows 10 install from the cloud instead of local install and lo and behold! SUCCESS!!!
Thank you all for your help and effort.

Mr.XO

Honestly that's just too much hassle to make an almost close to $1000/- (after tax) DAC work. I rather just return it and buy something that works.
Thanks for your time.
I had hoped someone would answer my Q on the Gustards.. may be that a NO in a Topping thread or something.. :)
X18 seemed similar as they did the same single chip (4x2) in current mode and the same op-amps in the output stages etc. So to a layman glancing over the board only the LPS vs SMPS stands out.
I went ahead and returned mine, no point trying to make it work when many have run into the same or similar issues and eventually done the same.
May be once the AKM chips are back in the market in full swing there will be a newer D70S(E).. but even if just the same it’d still be cool.. as it seems like the best that came out of Topping if you are not chasing numbers alone.
Thanks to all who tried to help!

ClicketEKlack

Regardless of what reviewers write, should there be any measurable audible differences between a D90 and a D90SE?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone see the D90LE ?

It is $100 cheaper and doesn’t have the 3 initial service

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Official measurement data.
tb_image_share_1653375002810.jpg

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Anyone see the D90LE ?

It is $100 cheaper and doesn’t have the 3 initial service

So it is both better AND cheaper

alekksander

seems that A90 is about to get refreshed too.

a90.jpg

glc650

Manufacturers are usually sensitive to the what the user wants. Does the existence of D90LE mean the MQA star is beginning to fade? One lives in hope.
The original D90 came in both an MQA and non-MQA version so I don't see how a D90SE without MQA equates to the end of MQA.

bkdc

Forum Donor
seems that A90 is about to get refreshed too.

View attachment 2086111

This was forecast when the LA90 came out and they mentioned use with either the “A90 or A90 Discrete”. There is a step back in the loss of physical switches on the front panel. >.< although discreteness is nice. Too bad they removed the switches!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom