• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

eduardw

Forum Donor
I guess I could use a usb switch, for connecting multiple source to 1 usb input on my dac. Is only a little inconvenient. But for playing CD's i need to get up and load the CD so not a big problem also switching the usb switch :). I've almost convinced my self in buying the Shanling but I would like to see some more reviews first. Would be great if some one sends one to Amirm or not :).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks, I thought that connecting by I2s would be the best connection. I think the optical output is limited in bandwith. The Shanling can also stream high resolution.
I allready use the USB input on the topping. Maybe the AES is the way to go?
You could use AES but what about Coaxial? Even with optical the performance is still supurb. No reason to spend more money to avoid using it.
If your player does i2s and AES then why not, but I wouldn't buy something for the purpose of using it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I guess I could use a usb switch, for connecting multiple source to 1 usb input on my dac. Is only a little inconvenient. But for playing CD's i need to get up and load the CD so not a big problem also switching the usb switch :). I've almost convinced my self in buying the Shanling but I would like to see some more reviews first. Would be great if some one sends one to Amirm or not :).
@amirm is backed up for several months. So even if someone sent him one; probably we wouldn't see a review this year.
At least this is what he told me when I tried to send him some hardware twice this year now.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Then I will definitely not wait for Amir. :)

About the inputs

ET3 supports multiple interfaces for digital output, especially for USB output! USB output up to 768kHz/32bit, DSD512; I² output up to 768kHz/32bit, DSD512; Coaxial / Optical / AES output up to PCM 192 kHz / 32bit, DSD 64. *Please refer to the manual for the I² S interface wire sequence.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Then I will definitely not wait for Amir. :)

About the inputs

ET3 supports multiple interfaces for digital output, especially for USB output! USB output up to 768kHz/32bit, DSD512; I² output up to 768kHz/32bit, DSD512; Coaxial / Optical / AES output up to PCM 192 kHz / 32bit, DSD 64. *Please refer to the manual for the I² S interface wire sequence.
Yea so coax / aes is the same interface it loos like. Use that as it should be fine. Typically coax is cleaner than optical since it won't have the signal mismatch issues.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea so coax / aes is the same interface it loos like. Use that as it should be fine. Typically coax is cleaner than optical since it won't have the signal mismatch issues.
As I've just pointed out in another thread. Unless the mismatch causes bit errors then Toslink will be audibly identical to coax with the added advantage of galvanic isolation/elimination of ground currents.

And you will know if you have bit errors. Clicks and crackles tend to stand out quite a lot.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As I've just pointed out in another thread. Unless the mismatch causes bit errors then Toslink will be audibly identical to coax with the added advantage of galvanic isolation/elimination of ground currents.

And you will know if you have bit errors. Clicks and crackles tend to stand out quite a lot.
Yes, if there are bit errors. I have experienced them before with Optical. Clicks & Crackles are exactly what happens IF there is an issue. Otherwise it is fine. I have various devices running with optical for years with no issues.... then I have had a few that don't work right.
I am just saying that in general if you can use Coax instead; then I view it as better because there is no chance for those errors.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, if there are bit errors. I have experienced them before with Optical. Clicks & Crackles are exactly what happens IF there is an issue. Otherwise it is fine. I have various devices running with optical for years with no issues.... then I have had a few that don't work right.
I am just saying that in general if you can use Coax instead; then I view it as better because there is no chance for those errors.
Of course there is. Use it with a poorly matched cable, or with significant ground currents, or other noise, or too long a cable. Reflections and losses apply to the electrical spdif just as it does to optical.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Of course there is. Use it with a poorly matched cable, or with significant ground currents, or other noise, or too long a cable. Reflections and losses apply to the electrical spdif just as it does to optical.
Electronics don't have reflections and unless the cable is very long, it wouldn't be an issue. These are desktop DAC/Amp setups. So there would be no reason to have a 10Ft+ long cable. If that is the case; then use optical and hope for the best.
There aren't "reflections" though as it is wire and electrical signals don't "reflect".
Ground currents could be a thing, but I personally haven't experienced this with Coax even when there were ground loops in the past.
Also in terms of ground loops; this is what AES would technically eliminate since it has a grounding pin.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Electronics don't have reflections

They do. Look up transmission lines and impedance mismatch. Then consider that RCA is not a suitable connector for a 75ohm characteristic impedance connection. It is also why you shouldn't use audio rca cables for your SPDIF connection.

Here is a relatively simple explanation.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dont get me wrong- a world where every DAC has a wifi chip and I can go lossless/ hi res from streaming app direct to DAC would be great. But that isnt where the market is going, for whatever reason. The point of bluetooth in DACs isnt for quality- its for pure convenience.

Does Wifi 6 enable the transfer of music without, say Airplay or Chromecast protocols? Im not familiar with the tech
Bluetooth already has transparency, you won’t hear anything better than CD quality.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth already has transparency, you won’t hear anything better than CD quality.
On the newer codecs, maybe (LDAC for eg) , but some of the lower res codecs are pretty poor. In the context of a TV to a DAc you think both will have LDAC? I doubt it but might be wrong

dogmamann

On the newer codecs, maybe (LDAC for eg) , but some of the lower res codecs are pretty poor. In the context of a TV to a DAc you think both will have LDAC? I doubt it but might be wrong
None of the TVs has LDAC, also none of the programs are in cd quality If m not wrong. For tvs I guess the best way is to have arc on the dacs

Atanasi

Forum Donor
None of the TVs has LDAC, also none of the programs are in cd quality If m not wrong. For tvs I guess the best way is to have arc on the dacs
Modern Sony TVs may support LDAC, as it is Sony's codec. At least my Sony Bluray player supports LDAC.

eduardw

Forum Donor
I just Ordered the Shanling ET3 and some AES cables for connecting the transport to my topping D90. I also have a usb switch for connecting it by USB. To bad the topping does not have multiple USB inputs.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@eduardw what do you mean by "multiple USB inputs", please? To have an USB hub inside connected to the same USB transport? Can you please provide examples of DACs having multiple USB ports? Thanks!

eduardw

Forum Donor
Hi I do not know of any dac with multiple usb input. Thats why I would like to see more usb inputs on a dac. I use the usb input of the topping for my audio pc. But will soon get the Shanling Et3 and would like to connect it also to the dac using in the usb input.

Top Bottom