• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Scintilla

I2S is a non-standard transmission protocol and isn't supported by the HDMI standard and therefore the Mac can't connect that way because HDMI isn't reconfigurable from a Mac. You would need a network -connected streamer or endpoint device capable of I2S output. I believe Denafripos makes such a device.

Veri

Master Contributor
Question: Can a Mac connect to the D90 via IIS over HDMI? Does anyone know how does the Mac outputs the IIS signal and how does the D90 take it?

I am not looking for sound improvement but just trying to spare a USB port. But if that option is technically worse than the USB connection, please let me know.
No, traditional HDMI as on laptops cannot output I2S needed for audio. i2s is a pretty niche thing.
I use a cheap Hama USB hub to save USB ports myself :)

Vladecrni

Just bit the bullet and bought D90/A90 combo.

Any recommendations for cables? I need:

- 1m USB A->B from PC to D90
- 2 x 10-20cm XLR->XLR from D90 to A90
- 50-75cm RCA R/L -> RCA R/L from D90 to Dynaudio XEO 2 Speakers
- 1,5m 4-Pin XLR -> Sennheiser Headphone Connector From A90 to HD6XX

Did I miss anything? Are power cables and adapters that come with Topping good enough?

I know that Audioquest has bad reputation of being overpriced, but I like their visual style. I was thinking of buying everything from their Forest/green series (Except the headphone cable which they do not offer as far as I can see) to color code Audio line of cables. How are they quality-wise compared to competitors? Any noticable difference when upgrading to Red series cables?

I am in EU, so only cables available here matter.

Veri

Master Contributor
I know that Audioquest has bad reputation of being overpriced, but I like their visual style. I was thinking of buying everything from their Forest/green series (Except the headphone cable which they do not offer as far as I can see) to color code Audio line of cables. How are they quality-wise compared to competitors? Any noticable difference when upgrading to Red series cables?

I am in EU, so only cables available here matter.

Don't waste money on a stupid brand like Audioquest. I recommend these, good price and world renown/studio materials used
20cm world's best cables XLR https://www.amazon.de/dp/B089MYYC35/
1m world's best cables RCA https://www.amazon.de/dp/B089NN2CRP/
USB cable should be supplied with D90 and should work fine. The headphone cable I'm sure you'll find something suitable

Vladecrni

Thanks for a fast recommendation :) !

I will take a look.

Price-wise they are similar. Veri, what is your opinion on difference in quality between WBC and AQ?

In any case, I am not that concerned about the price. If I'm spending 1300€ on the set, I do not mind spending another 200€ on proper cables.

I think someone complained previously about supplied USB cable. As I do not have much experience with it, I would like to exclude all eventual issues and to get full performance out of these units from the start. I'm worried that if I happen to have similar issues, I won't be able to recognise them, and will be "stuck" with inferior sound without even realising it...

The headphone cable is the trickiest bit actually - I have no clue where to even start searching :D . All the ones I know of are available in US only.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I will take a look.

Price-wise they are similar. Veri, what is your opinion on difference in quality between WBC and AQ?

In any case, I am not that concerned about the price. If I'm spending 1300€ on the set, I do not mind spending another 200€ on proper cables.

I think someone complained previously about supplied USB cable. As I do not have much experience with it, I would like to exclude all eventual issues and to get full performance out of these units from the start. I'm worried that if I happen to have similar issues, I won't be able to recognise them, and will be "stuck" with inferior sound without even realising it...

The headphone cable is the trickiest bit actually - I have no clue where to even start searching :D . All the ones I know of are available in US only.
Quick look on ebay brought this up. I don't use balanced headphones myself, but at least it's somewhere to start.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULC-bala...062019?hash=item1ef9a07783:g:640AAOSwUEVYCLip

Please don't buy from Audioquest. Their cables are fine, but you're just feeding the beast!!! Having said that, if you want red cables then buy red cables, just don't expect any audio improvement!

As to the Topping USB cable, you'll know if it's faulty. I've got two and they're both fine.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The headphone cable is the trickiest bit actually - I have no clue where to even start searching :D .
Search for 4-pin xlr sennheiser hd600. Amazon.de has a cable from Ablet, at least. There is a choice of cables at Aliexpress, too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Search for 4-pin xlr sennheiser hd600. Amazon.de has a cable from Ablet, at least. There is a choice of cables at Aliexpress, too.

Agreed. No shortage of sub $50 hd6.. Family cables on amazon, ebay, Ali etc.

I have one of the silvery white plastic type ones, not the nicest feel, a bit hard. One more like stock material probably best

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt many people are gonna jump on this to be honest. At this point all Drop has going for it is a reward programme...

It's been a very mixed bag of late. I don't think the thx one helped their cause any either.

mocenigo

Major Contributor

I will take a look.

But Mogami (or Klotz) star quad microphone cables, terminated with Neutrix gold plated pin XLR connectors ARE proper cables.

Vladecrni

Quick look on eBay brought this up. I don't use balanced headphones myself, but at least it's somewhere to start.

Thanks for your fast and helpful reply. I would have never thought of eBay, but it led me to the companies website and I will most likely order from there.

I do not expect superior sound quality from Audioquest for sure, but good quality and QC. However as I do not like them as a company, I will most likely not be buying cables from them... I still have to think about it a bit.

Vladecrni

But Mogami (or Klotz) star quad microphone cables, terminated with Neutrix gold plated pin XLR connectors ARE proper cables.
Well, that is good to hear.
I never heard of Mogami before, even though I'm a broadcast engineer by trade, so it sounded fishy to me...
Neutrik on the other hand is a familiar name.

Shame that they look so... ordinary. Not a fan of black. I like color, everywhere, and even better if something can be color-coded :).I'm also not a fan of the "home made" look and feel they have on the pictures. But we can't have everything I guess...
Are there any options for 10cm cables? If devices will be stacked, 20cm seems a lot. Or am I wrong?

Veri

Master Contributor
Are there any options for 10cm cables? If devices will be stacked, 20cm seems a lot. Or am I wrong?
20cm is suitable ;) really. And odd you haven't heard of mogami, pretty much a gold standard for XLR cables. They literally sell something called "Mogami Gold", I believe Amirm uses those when measuring :)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that is good to hear.
I never heard of Mogami before, even though I'm a broadcast engineer by trade, so it sounded fishy to me...
Neutrik on the other hand is a familiar name.

Shame that they look so... ordinary. Not a fan of black. I like color, everywhere, and even better if something can be color-coded :).I'm also not a fan of the "home made" look and feel they have on the pictures. But we can't have everything I guess...

If so, why don't you DIY ?
Moreover you can put a Nylon sleeve with the colour of your choice ;)

Last edited:

Celty

Vladecrni

And odd you haven't heard of mogami, pretty much a gold standard for XLR cables.
We usually used Belden and Canare for everything. And since "money is no object" philosophy in public broadcaster world, I assumed those ones are the best.
If so, why don't you DIY ?
I used A LOT of cables in my 10 years on the field, and I will take factory made ones over the ones that me or my colleagues made any day :) .
For many reasons. to this day, I never had any issues with BELDEN factory made cables - even the plastic connector network cables somehow never ever snap off no matter how much you abuse them.
And you cannot replicate the quality of soldering/fusing and cable relief integration into cables without investing in some serious equipment.
At least I don't think I can make them look as pretty as Audioquest with my skills and tools
Not that I will abuse those cables, like I did my 100m XLR spools, but still :) - it's annoying that you can't have highest quality, durability and aesthetics in one reasonably priced package...

Top Bottom