• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

bahamot

The file MX3.jpg within the archive is corrupt, the rest is OK. This does not render the actual driver content unusable.
Ah yes, that's right I got it extracted with 7zip.
Windows built in zip extractor just complained it's corrupted and exited. So probably many users will just complained it's corrupted.

Sak

Windows built in zip extractor just complained it's corrupted and exited. So probably many users will just complained it's corrupted.
Winrar couldn't extract files too.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no issues with the D90 (not MQA) 4.82.
Any reason to install the 4.86 ?

It's maybe more dedicated to the E30, D10S :rolleyes:?

FreyaTheDog

Hello, I have to decide between the topping D90 or D90MQA. After reading a lot, I still couldn't find a clear answer for myself. I know that the MQA version uses the XMOS XU216 chip and the non Mqa version uses the XMOS XU208. Is the MQA version perhaps more future-proof in some way? Is there a reason I should choose one over the other? My second question would be whether the D90 is supported out of the box by Linux.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Any reason to install 4.86 if 4.82 works well ?
The primary reason for these software updates is because Windows keeps updating, drivers might need updates to stay stable on newest OS update. And bugfixes etc. But if you experience no weird things, there's no hurry to update the XMOS driver, no.

bahamot

Hello, I have to decide between the topping D90 or D90MQA. After reading a lot, I still couldn't find a clear answer for myself. I know that the MQA version uses the XMOS XU216 chip and the non Mqa version uses the XMOS XU208. Is the MQA version perhaps more future-proof in some way? Is there a reason I should choose one over the other? My second question would be whether the D90 is supported out of the box by Linux.
If you are no need for MQA then choose non-MQA.
If in the future you need MQA, you can easily find MQA enabled player on the pc or android.

FreyaTheDog

If you are no need for MQA then choose non-MQA.
If in the future you need MQA, you can easily find MQA enabled player on the pc or android.
I don't plan to subscribe to Tidal. I use my Flac collection or AmazonHD to stream. So from a purely technical point of view, nothing speaks against the non-MQA version?

bahamot

I don't plan to take out a Tidal subscription. I use my Flac collection or AmazonHD to stream. So from a purely technical point of view, nothing speaks against the non-MQA version?
Personally I think non-MQA is the better one. The only reason mine is the MQA one because my local distributor only import MQA version.

FreyaTheDog

Personally I think non-MQA is the better one. The only reason mine is the MQA one because my local distributor only import MQA version.
That helps me in my decision. I thank you. I have already ordered the Topping A90, it should be delivered in about 2 weeks. I just couldn't decide between the two DACs. But it will probably be the non MQA version. Do you know if it is supported on Linux?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder where that local distributor is located bahamot ... (EifoAta ?)

FreyaTheDog

@FreyaTheDog

But is your question answered ?
I think that your point was XMOS-208 vs XMOS216 regardless of MQA , no ?
Yes, whether from a technical point of view something speaks more for one or the other. The only difference is the XMOS chip, or is there another difference between the two?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The primary reason for these software updates is because Windows keeps updating, drivers might need updates to stay stable on newest OS update. And bugfixes etc. But if you experience no weird things, there's no hurry to update the XMOS driver, no.
Thank you Veri, that was my thought too.
If so it's like any other program that I usually update for security reasons.
But here, about a driver or a pico-program, I'll wait a bit ....

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, whether from a technical point of view something speaks more for one or the other. The only difference is the XMOS chip, or is there another difference between the two?
You get a MQA logo and the privilege of spending an extra $100.

FreyaTheDog

You get a MQA logo and the privilege of spending an extra $100.
if so, I'd rather choose the privilege of 100 dollars more in my wallet:). I ordered the d90 without mqa.After a long research, I found out that the XMOS-208 is supported in Linux without any problems. I couldn't find anything for the 216. Most of the time I hear my music on Windows, but now and then also in Linux. I think with the D90 without MQA you can avoid problems that might arise. Anyway, I thank you

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Question: Can a Mac connect to the D90 via IIS over HDMI? Does anyone know how does the Mac outputs the IIS signal and how does the D90 take it?

I am not looking for sound improvement but just trying to spare a USB port. But if that option is technically worse than the USB connection, please let me know.

Top Bottom