• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70S fried my speakers...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try reading “I have to disagree. Most owners of active speakers connect a DAC directly to power.”
I’m sorry not realising that you were not replying to my comment:

Connecting a DAC output direct to a power amplifier is never safe.

I assumed it would be the case as you were replying to that comment.

gvl

Major Contributor
Sorry for your loss. There were enough speaker damage done even before DACs came along with fully analog setups, kids turn the volume knob up while the system is off, you get the idea. Just need to follow the protocol of turning the DAC first and checking volume level before the amps, problem solved.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just need to follow the protocol of turning the DAC first and checking volume level before the amps, problem solved.
In other words do not use trigger linking?

gvl

Major Contributor
In other words do not use trigger linking?

The D70s doesn’t have trigger outputs. Or maybe size amps to speakers conservatively. I’m currently running 600W amps into 200W max speakers, I know it’s not going to end well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The D70s doesn’t have trigger outputs.
I was questioning how such procedure can be taken as a protocol in general hence ended my comment with a question mark.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sorry not realising that you were not replying to my comment:

I assumed it would be the case as you were replying to that comment.
No worries brother. We’re all in this mess together.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't know why but today when I switched on the Topping D70S the volume was at -0db. Of course, i never set the volume so high, and usually the dac reminds the volume of the previous time, but not today. Result: the amplifier fried the tweeter of one loudspeaker. I don't know what the Topping engineers were thinking when they designed this Dac without any option to set a maximum volume, or what was in their mind when they decided that when the Dac was switched on it could randomly start at -0db and not, say, at -90db.
Just a warning for the users/buyers and a pray for the manufacturer: please provide a decent firmware upgrade to solve the issue.

I've spent several years on ASR warning people of this very scenario caused by products like these.

For goodness sakes, when are people going to learn and stop buying this crap? Topping is wholly responsible for this and should make amends by replacing your tweeter/s due to consequential loss from their faulty product. Nothing else is acceptable. Get onto Topping and demand a set of new tweeters after getting a price from Revel.

I have tuners built 40 years ago that will remember their preset stations for 10 years based on super capacitors and digital products that retain their memories and levels for 10-15 years using onboard Lithium button cells. These idiots think their DACs will retain level settings based on NV ram, a tiny electro or the presence of continuous AC power. Default power-off-resume should be -70/80dB below 0dB or full mute.

As time goes on, we see these far-eastern brands are in no way ready for prime time.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For goodness sakes, when are people going to learn and stop buying this crap?
Oh come on. User error is the most likely cause unless the Topping unit went critical. Did it?

Alexium

Don’t they use a potentiometer between the DAC and the amplifier?
None that are made in this millennium, I presume. Certainly not my Denon X2500H - it's all digital. The volume knob is a digital rotary encoder.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Oh come on. User error is the most likely cause unless the Topping unit went critical. Did it?

Read his post. It default/reset to 0dB.

It's common with 'glitches' and resets and general lock-ups with cheap gear.

gvl

Major Contributor

It's possible someone turned it into DAC mode accidentally. Early on you could do it on remote on some Topping DACs with a single key press, thankfully they since removed this "feature", but one can still do it using the physical buttons on the DAC.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

0db is straight DAC. It’s very common to use a Topping D10 to drive Genelec’s and rely on your source to control volume. Granted Genelec have good protection, I would have thought Revel’s would as well.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
0db is straight DAC. It’s very common to use a Topping D10 to drive Genelec’s and rely on your source to control volume. Granted Genelec have good protection, I would have thought Revel’s would as well.
They are passives. Could check the schematics to see if there are any protection devices, but these are more entry level so likely it simply cooked the tweeter.

Top Bottom