• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
flac>LDAC=indistinguishable from bit perfect flac.
Not true :

… and the effect of combining lossy spotify mp3 with this lossy LDAC transmission gonna be -1 (+) -1 = -3.

This is the main reason I dont like lossy transmission or lossy sources. Combined they are terrible . And there is no need for it 2023.

Maybe the sound quality will be good enough for muzak or when exercising?

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not true :

… and the effect of combining lossy spotify mp3 with this lossy LDAC transmission gonna be -1 (+) -1 = -3.

This is the main reason I dont like lossy transmission or lossy sources. Combined they are terrible . And there is no need for it 2023.

Maybe the sound quality will be good enough for muzak or when exercising?
Perhaps you didn't read my post. Playing flac files (I don't play any inferior files, ever) via LDAC to HP yields output identical to bitperfect from flac to me. YMMV.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Perhaps you didn't read my post. Playing flac files (I don't play any inferior files, ever) via LDAC to HP yields output identical to bitperfect from flac to me. YMMV.
If its good enough , then its fine for you.:)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If its good enough , then its fine for you.:)
Well, you continue to claim mp3 through LDAC yields poor SQ-possibly but don't discount the accuracy of flac files via LDAC. Have you listened to flac files via LDAC? If not try it-you may be shocked to discover you cannot discern a difference from bitperfect flac.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive but good! (Not read the other comments yet, just what I think about the DAC/review). Good choice to see them branching out into some other areas with the inclusion of the multipurpose LCD display.....I'm sure someone's mentioned how about them thinking about including parametric EQ, I'd take it one step further and say how about a gaming DAC so including Virtual Surround Sound processing + also at least 10 band (per channel to allow perfect channel matching) Parametric EQ = my favourite DAC!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help but feel that they must be cannibalising sales of their own products. Too many products with not enough to differentiate between them with too many product ranges often confusingly named. If I want to buy a top line smsl do I buy the su-10, the d400ex or the d400es. what the difference bwteen the dio range and d range. What amp do I pair wth the d400 series or indeed the su series.

Topping are producing matching stacks but apparently this doesnt really shift that far from e70/l70 combo so .... i'm tempted by the nice display but beyond that i gain nothing. Its all getting very confusing and causes me to think mebbe i'll stick with what I have as its more than good enough. I'll wait for the next iteration or indeed the one after that. Their R&D costs must be through the roof.
No, no, no, no! You definitely need this DAC! ;)

D700

After seeing their top of the line stuff without all of those features and the price that they are, how much are you willing to spend for Topping to come up with a device you are proposing?
$1500 - $2000

Reactions: GPJ
I'm patiently waiting for a dac in this price range that has multiple coaxial and toslink inputs. cut the bluetooth and fancy screen, release a grunty headphone amp alongside it in more than one finish and it'd be a winner in my book.

Wawsax

As nice as the display is, I'd still much rather hide the DAC in a rack and control volume/outputs via my phone with some kind of smart home integration like HomeKit (or, eventually, Matter). Seems like such an obvious and useful feature that somehow nobody in the DAC space is remotely interested in? And yet they support things like MQA on some models, which is total snake oil. Guess it's just me :(

Verig

After seeing their top of the line stuff without all of those features and the price that they are, how much are you willing to spend for Topping to come up with a device you are proposing?
That would be my main question here, how much is it going to cost? Would they be able to pull it off at affordable price? Do they want to?
Integration brings a lot of savings, enclosures, packaging and shipment cost a lot. Combination of these 70 series dac, hpa/pre could be sold for the price of the pre alone. Of course building from there is the part where it gets tricky.

Saponetto

Frankly speaking, I'm ok with the despicable 120dB SINAd value of both D30Pros i currently have in service.
Got for a while a DX7Pro, well-tempted by Amir's fine review but ended sending it back being all that performance not actually fruible in my environment.
Wiil stay at the window, looking for some dacs able to fire up my interest.
And no, this D70 iteration is not among these.

MadMaxx

Were I not a satisfied owner of an E70V, I'd give the D70 Pro a shot. However, I'd wait for one of Apos Audio's frequent sales that usually offer fairly sizable discounts. I paid $450 for my E70V, but about 2 months later it went on sale for $380.

MadMaxx

An E70V Certified from Apos with 1 year warranty is $337 currently. I just pick up the Certified E70 for $261 shipped to my door. It's every bit as good as the $699 D70 Pro. Good times for affordable complete transparency.
Even better!!:)

D700

That would be my main question here, how much is it going to cost? Would they be able to pull it off at affordable price? Do they want to?
Integration brings a lot of savings, enclosures, packaging and shipment cost a lot. Combination of these 70 series dac, hpa/pre could be sold for the price of the pre alone. Of course building from there is the part where it gets tricky.
What if it had oiled Walnut side panels and a few champagne tipped toggle switches out front, with a default amber VU meter glow...mmmmm

Top Bottom